$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 135.22

7,877 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
49.6% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Boring first scenario? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is copy-and-pasted from a reply I wrote to a review, but in hindsight is probably more appropriate here.


My wife and I have just finished our second play through of the first scenario. During both games, we started to get bored at exactly the same point. We were feeling it was dragging on a bit too long and was becoming a bit too "rinse and repeat".

Probably not important but both times was at: (SPOILER):
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Around the discovery of the secret study. The second time we smashed the urn for fun, and it was indeed fun!


I suspect it wasn't the location or story at that point, and more likely the time taken to get there. Although it was odd that it was almost the exact same point both times.

I'm hoping the next scenarios which are billed as longer, don't have this effect.

For disclosure, both of our playthroughs were 3p and then 2p and slightly longer than advertised, at around 2hrs. The first playthrough was an odd learning game with lots of distractions and noise, which is why we decided to play again, later, in a different environment.

Actually, now I remember it, the first game we abandoned just after that point. We "calculated" that we'd win anyway having completed the main objective. The second game we won.

Has anyone else encountered this loss of interest during the first scenario and can you reassure me it's just the first scenario and the others are far better!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not questioning your experience at all, please don't interpret my reply in that way. I just found it interesting because I felt pretty riveted all the way through. It might have to do with the sequence of rooms you explored.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I found the secret office long before I went outside. I had Vanderbilt charging at me and Star Spawn on my tail as I tried to close the portal. Did you go to the portal first?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
I'm not questioning your experience at all, please don't interpret my reply in that way. I just found it interesting because I felt pretty riveted all the way through. It might have to do with the sequence of rooms you explored.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I found the secret office long before I went outside. I had Vanderbilt charging at me and Star Spawn on my tail as I tried to close the portal. Did you go to the portal first?


I wouldn't take any reply that way. I'm hoping there was a reason: maybe a missed rule, we're playing too slow or simply the first scenario isn't that great.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
First time we'd explored the whole house and the yard was very last. Second time we didn't explore one room (the big square on left [dining room?]), but the yard was last again.
Both times we had all the evidence so closing the portal was easy. Killing the cultist and Vanderbilt was also fairly easy which just left a bit of a run to the exit, evading some nasties en route.
Each time we started flagging with the game was just before discovering the yard.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played twice now, and both were entirely different experiences. The first one, we dogged the side room barricading it right off the bat. That got us to the end quicker and was completely different from the second time through. 2nd time through, we went to the side room to see what all the noise was about, and since it took so long to get to the end, things had already progressed and we were scrambling to save the planet.

I was really impressed that both play throughs felt completely different.

-shnar
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert666 wrote:


Spoiler (click to reveal)
First time we'd explored the whole house and the yard was very last. Second time we didn't explore one room (the big square on left [dining room?]), but the yard was last again.
Both times we had all the evidence so closing the portal was easy. Killing the cultist and Vanderbilt was also fairly easy which just left a bit of a run to the exit, evading some nasties en route.
Each time we started flagging with the game was just before discovering the yard.


Wait...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
There's a yard?


-shnar
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Forsyth
United Kingdom
Nairn
Nairnshire
flag msg tools
mb
i played the first scenario twice. Once 2 player with my wife (we failed) and second time as a 3 player (success. Both were quite close though with nail biting conclusions. I guess this may be some of the random factors at play here.

shnar wrote:

Wait...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
There's a yard?


-shnar


Spoiler (click to reveal)
There is not always a yard, the app will random up the layout of the mansion a bit, so it will possibly be different for some folks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedome wrote:
i played the first scenario twice. Once 2 player with my wife (we failed) and second time as a 3 player (success. Both were quite close though with nail biting conclusions. I guess this may be some of the random factors at play here.

shnar wrote:

Wait...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
There's a yard?


-shnar


Spoiler (click to reveal)
There is not always a yard, the app will random up the layout of the mansion a bit, so it will possibly be different for some folks


We've had the exact same layout twice. Just different monsters spawning during Mythos.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The two times we played, the first "commotion" room was swapped (first time on East side, second time on West side). So there is some room randomization for sure. Plus, the upstairs was a bit different too.

-shnar
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Le Huray
Jersey
St. Johns
United Kingdom
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I haven't seen a yard.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
The two times we played, the first "commotion" room was swapped (first time on East side, second time on West side). So there is some room randomization for sure. Plus, the upstairs was a bit different too.

-shnar


Spoiler (click to reveal)
Upstairs???
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel James
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
I've played twice now, and both were entirely different experiences. The first one, we dogged the side room barricading it right off the bat. That got us to the end quicker and was completely different from the second time through. 2nd time through, we went to the side room to see what all the noise was about, and since it took so long to get to the end, things had already progressed and we were scrambling to save the planet.

I was really impressed that both play throughs felt completely different.

-shnar


We had the same experience but in the reverse order, therefore the second play-through fell flat as a pancake for us. I am still loving the game though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Ferrell
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert666 wrote:
This is copy-and-pasted from a reply I wrote to a review, but in hindsight is probably more appropriate here.


My wife and I have just finished our second play through of the first scenario. During both games, we started to get bored at exactly the same point. We were feeling it was dragging on a bit too long and was becoming a bit too "rinse and repeat".


Only played the first scenario once, but it was a blast.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
We made it to the yard with a Star Spawn bearing down on us. Solved the puzzle, but Wendy was eliminated by the Star Spawn. I was able to evade, got three successes on closing the portal, but was then sucked into it. One more turn or one less hit on Wendy so two of us could work on closing the portal and I think we would have won.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Williams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'm going to need to put this in spoilers below, but a question about the configuration of the first scenario:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I keep seeing references to an outdoor yard, and even briefly saw it in the Drive Thru demonstration. However I've booted up the first scenario several times and haven't seen that particular configuration. Do I need to incorporate my first edition stuff for that to happen?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chromatism wrote:
I'm going to need to put this in spoilers below, but a question about the configuration of the first scenario:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I keep seeing references to an outdoor yard, and even briefly saw it in the Drive Thru demonstration. However I've booted up the first scenario several times and haven't seen that particular configuration. Do I need to incorporate my first edition stuff for that to happen?


No. That room shows up later in the scenario.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Williams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Jan Tuijp wrote:
Chromatism wrote:
I'm going to need to put this in spoilers below, but a question about the configuration of the first scenario:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I keep seeing references to an outdoor yard, and even briefly saw it in the Drive Thru demonstration. However I've booted up the first scenario several times and haven't seen that particular configuration. Do I need to incorporate my first edition stuff for that to happen?


No. That room shows up later in the scenario.



Ah, I see. Thank you. Interesting that you say that because I've completed the opening scenario twice and played it once more (different groups) and have yet to see the starting configuration as demoed on the video or come across that room, despite having everything explored.

Maybe I'll come across it one of these days.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert666 wrote:
shnar wrote:
The two times we played, the first "commotion" room was swapped (first time on East side, second time on West side). So there is some room randomization for sure. Plus, the upstairs was a bit different too.

-shnar


Spoiler (click to reveal)
Upstairs???


Wow, really? All the differences makes me want to play the first scenario again

Spoiler (click to reveal)
In both our games, the ritual was being done in the Attic and so we had to go upstairs and find it. First time through we went there pretty quickly and found Vanderbilt and stopped it quite quickly, but got overwhelmed by all the monsters that spawned. Second time through, we took our time, ritual completed, Vanderbilt came down from the attic to fight us. We killed him, then RIP the roof of the house came off and the portal spawned a Star Spawn. We successfully closed the portal before the spawn killed us though and won.


-shnar
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chromatism wrote:
Jan Tuijp wrote:
Chromatism wrote:
I'm going to need to put this in spoilers below, but a question about the configuration of the first scenario:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I keep seeing references to an outdoor yard, and even briefly saw it in the Drive Thru demonstration. However I've booted up the first scenario several times and haven't seen that particular configuration. Do I need to incorporate my first edition stuff for that to happen?


No. That room shows up later in the scenario.



Ah, I see. Thank you. Interesting that you say that because I've completed the opening scenario twice and played it once more (different groups) and have yet to see the starting configuration as demoed on the video or come across that room, despite having everything explored.

Maybe I'll come across it one of these days.


In my case, the yard was the scene for the final act. But, come to think of it, the final act of the scenario doesn't need a specific room. Interesting.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Le Huray
Jersey
St. Johns
United Kingdom
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
We finished the scenario in the attic as well, with the Star Spawn appearing in the library.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
Jan Tuijp wrote:
Chromatism wrote:
Jan Tuijp wrote:
Chromatism wrote:
I'm going to need to put this in spoilers below, but a question about the configuration of the first scenario:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I keep seeing references to an outdoor yard, and even briefly saw it in the Drive Thru demonstration. However I've booted up the first scenario several times and haven't seen that particular configuration. Do I need to incorporate my first edition stuff for that to happen?


No. That room shows up later in the scenario.



Ah, I see. Thank you. Interesting that you say that because I've completed the opening scenario twice and played it once more (different groups) and have yet to see the starting configuration as demoed on the video or come across that room, despite having everything explored.

Maybe I'll come across it one of these days.


In my case, the yard was the scene for the final act. But, come to think of it, the final act of the scenario doesn't need a specific room. Interesting.



Spoiler (click to reveal)
My first game, the final room opened up onto the roof tile, which was next to the yard... which is kind of interesting since the sides of the roof are impassable borders. The 2nd game was in a basement.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So my lovely wife has reviewed the rules and watched some playthroughs and it seems we got a couple of teeny rules slightly wrong, but the net result has made it both easier and slower.

We did not realise you could break up a move with a search and continue the full move. We stopped moving each time so progress was basically halved.

We did not do the monster attacks correctly by the sounds of it, although I want to double check this.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert666 wrote:
So my lovely wife has reviewed the rules and watched some playthroughs and it seems we got a couple of teeny rules slightly wrong, but the net result has made it both easier and slower.

We did not realise you could break up a move with a search and continue the full move. We stopped moving each time so progress was basically halved.

We did not do the monster attacks correctly by the sounds of it, although I want to double check this.



How were you doing them?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh and range and horror checks by the sound of it (my wife has sent me dozens of emails so I'm trying to piece them together)

I'll set out how we played it shortly when I'm not typing in this silly phone.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well 2nd scenario was much smoother, except the app crashed after over 2hrs of play.... soblue
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Norbert666 wrote:
So my lovely wife has reviewed the rules and watched some playthroughs and it seems we got a couple of teeny rules slightly wrong, but the net result has made it both easier and slower.

We did not realise you could break up a move with a search and continue the full move. We stopped moving each time so progress was basically halved.

We did not do the monster attacks correctly by the sounds of it, although I want to double check this.



How were you doing them?


Move - we were not continuing the full move after a search action. I.e we were only moving one space most of the time.

Range - didn't take into consideration doors block attack range and horror checks

Horror checks - we were doing too many because of the above so every turn we had multiple checks, counting three range.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert666 wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
Norbert666 wrote:
So my lovely wife has reviewed the rules and watched some playthroughs and it seems we got a couple of teeny rules slightly wrong, but the net result has made it both easier and slower.

We did not realise you could break up a move with a search and continue the full move. We stopped moving each time so progress was basically halved.

We did not do the monster attacks correctly by the sounds of it, although I want to double check this.



How were you doing them?


Move - we were not continuing the full move after a search action. I.e we were only moving one space most of the time.

Range - didn't take into consideration doors block attack range and horror checks

Horror checks - we were doing too many because of the above so every turn we had multiple checks, counting three range.


Additionally, do you realise that each investigator only makes a maximum of one horror check per turn, against the monster within range with the highest horror rating?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.