$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 127.79

7,568 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
47.7% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Specter Ops» Forums » Rules

Subject: Sniper Shot rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kuro Kokon
msg tools
How long does the "the Gun only has vision in that direction" state go on?
Does the state end when the Gun triggers sniper shot again or the agent is shot by sniper shot?

Also, I've read that Quick Draw or Sniper Shot cannot be activated if the Gun is in the vehcle.
So, is the following possible?
1) The Gun spotted the agent while in the vehcle.
2) The Gun exits the vehcle.
3) Trigger sniper shot.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Lesperance
United States
Northville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, there's really no part of your scenario that is valid.

The Gun spots the agent so he exits the vehicle.

No. One never spots the agent while moving - in car or otherwise. Once the hunter declares that he is done moving, the agent announces if he is currently being seen. Therefore, the hunter can't say - oh, in that case let me resume moving so I can kill you.

But let's assume, you get lucky. You happen to exit the vehicle, which immediately ends your movement phase, and luck has it - you spot the agent.
Sweet. You now announce that you're activating sniper shot.

Its at this point that the agent kindly requests that you re-read your character sheet. Sniper shot can not be activated if the agent is visible. Further, quick shot cannot be used on the hunter's turn. In your scenario, your only available power is Sharp Shooter.

As to your original question: The "sniper mode" lasts until the start of your next turn. Remember, hunters are "blind" while moving. (I tell people its almost pitch dark and your entire focus is on not breaking a leg tripping over things.) When you announce you are done moving, you instantly see in all 4 cardinal directions. IF THE AGENT ISN'T VISIBLE, you may enter a new sniper mode.

If you're in sniper mode, you can't quick draw. An agent is only ever "spotted" once no matter how many people see him or how many times he enters or exits vision in one turn. If the Gun was one of the spotters at some point during that turn - he does 1 damage.

If you're quick drawing to do damage, the range is to the last seen token - even if that token isn't the spot where you would have taken the shot. The token could even be around a corner. Its a minor abstraction.

I didn't see this ruled anywhere, but my group made a call: If 2 different agents pass in front of the Gun, he'll sniper each one once.

Finally, sniper and quick draw are considered attacks. So, for example, stunning the gun turns off sniper and quick draw. And you can't do either from the car, because nobody can attack from inside the car.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hazlewood
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kuro Kokon wrote:
How long does the "the Gun only has vision in that direction" state go on?
Does the state end when the Gun triggers sniper shot again or the agent is shot by sniper shot?

Also, I've read that Quick Draw or Sniper Shot cannot be activated if the Gun is in the vehcle.
So, is the following possible?
1) The Gun spotted the agend while in the vehcle.
2) The Gun exits the vehcle.
3) Trigger sniper shot.


1 and 2 are possible, but I remind you that the Agent only needs to declare that you can see them when you have finished your movement and they are in plain sight. However, if when you've stopped the vehicle you can see the Agent, and wish to get out the car, then The Gun may exit. That is the end of The Gun's go though. Getting into or out of the car finishes their turn. Therefore, you cannot then trigger sniper shot.

The Sniper Shot ability is very useful like so:

The Gun moves four spaces but doesn't see the Agent. She declares Sniper Shot in the Easterly direction along a road. This means that if the Agent crosses that invisible line during their next movement, The Gun may then shoot them. It does have the following limitation: normally hunters enjoy 360 degree views in orthagonal (not diagonal) lines. When Sniper Shot is in use, The Gun would not see The Agent crossing their normal line of sight except in the direction declared by the Sniper Shot.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hazlewood
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vlesperance wrote:
Unfortunately, there's really no part of your scenario that is valid.

The Gun spots the agent so he exits the vehicle.

No. One never spots the agent while moving - in car or otherwise.


I think it's worth reiterating that the Hunters can see The Agent when they're in the car, but only once stopped, just like when moving on foot. You imply this but don't say it outright.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuro Kokon
msg tools
Thank you for the replies.
Sorry, the second question is pretty much messed up.
I just confused "spotting an agent on the agent's turn" with "checking LOS after the movement of a hunter".
The agent can be "spotted" only on his turn, right?

My current understanding of sniper shot is as follows;
・After moving the Gun, if the agent is not visible, you may activate "sniper mode".
・The agent can only be "spotted" on his turn. So sniper shot only deals damage on the agent's turn.
・"Sniper mode" lasts until the beginning of the Gun's next turn.

sneakypete21 wrote:
1 and 2 are possible, but I remind you that the Agent only needs to declare that you can see them when you have finished your movement and they are in plain sight. However, if when you've stopped the vehicle you can see the Agent, and wish to get out the car, then The Gun may exit. That is the end of The Gun's go though. Getting into or out of the car finishes their turn. Therefore, you cannot then trigger sniper shot.

According to the rules, entering or exiting the vehicle with a hunter immediately ends that hunter's movement. Not the turn.

By the way, I have one more question about the Gun (Sharp Shooting ability).
Does the Gun deals 2 damages if both dice hit?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hazlewood
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kuro Kokon wrote:
According to the rules, entering or exiting the vehicle with a hunter immediately ends that hunter's movement. Not the turn.

By the way, I have one more question about the Gun (Sharp Shooting ability).
Does the Gun deals 2 damages if both dice hit?


You're quite right, getting out of the car ends the movement not the turn so you could indeed trigger Sniper Shot.

As for dealing damage, The Gun definitely still only deals 1 damage. The advantage of the two dice is not to deal more than 1 hp of damage, but to have a greater range and more likelihood of hitting the Agent. It also decreases the chance of an automatic miss as it requires double 1 for a miss (1/36 chance) as opposed to the regular 1/6 chance.

The only time when more than 1 damage can be administered is with the Beast's Brutal Strength.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuro Kokon
msg tools
Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Lesperance
United States
Northville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For all practical purposes, your understanding is now correct. But I'll have a little rules lawyer fun now.

I don't see where the phrase "spotting an Agent" is overtly defined as it appears only on The Gun's character sheet. The FAQ implies a working definition:

An agent is SPOTTED by a hunter if the turn started without the Agent being seen by the hunter, but at least once during the turn becoming seen by the hunter.

So, technically, an agent can be spotted on the HUNTER turn, if that hunter ends his movement and the agent is now in LOS. However, quick draw requires BOTH spotted to be true (it is) and Agent's turn to be true (which it is NOT).

I'm going to go major rules lawyer here: Sniper shot says, "After moving the Gun..." Rules lawyer thus says that if The Gun doesn't move on his turn, he can't enter sniper mode. Yikes! However, I think its safe to errata that phrase to: "When his movement phase ends..."

But here's a really oddball corner case:

Traitor Gun ends his movement with the Agent in LOS. But the Agent lies and claims not to be seen. He is therefore not visible and Traitor Gun is allowed to enter sniper mode. A more honorable hunter achieves LOS revealing the hidden Agent. The Agent is now "spotted" by The Gun and instantly loses 1 hp. Of course, this damage is fake. But it is a case where Sniper Shot triggers on a hunter turn. Further, we hope that team hunter notices all of this madness and forces Traitor Gun to tear off his disguise. (Some could argue order of operations on whether the fake shot is played out, but it doesn't really matter.)

But this brings us to the other case where an Agent can be spotted on a hunter turn and this is truly a valid scenario:

The Intrepid Gun lines up sniper with Villainous Beast in sight. Villianous beast has Agent BlueJay in sight but lies abound keeping the Agent unseen. Intrepid Prophet reveals Agent BlueJay. Paradox reveals Villainous Beast to be an Orangutan in a wolf suit. Orangutan immediately vanishes and flees, leaving a last seen token around the corner from Intrepid Gun.

Its a hunter's turn (Intrepid Prophet's), but Orangutan started the turn as a hunter, became an Agent mid-turn, was in Intrepid Gun's LOS at that point, thus "was seen" and therefore becomes "was shot."
3 
 Thumb up
2.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuro Kokon
msg tools
Thanks for the clarification.

vlesperance wrote:
I'm going to go major rules lawyer here: Sniper shot says, "After moving the Gun..." Rules lawyer thus says that if The Gun doesn't move on his turn, he can't enter sniper mode. Yikes! However, I think its safe to errata that phrase to: "When his movement phase ends..."

I think it's okay to assume that the text means "when his movement phase ends", since you can "move" your hunter 0 space.

I'm not sure about traitor mechanism at all (I haven't even read the whole rules about it) though, since I don't think I'll ever play the game with five players.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hazlewood
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vlesperance wrote:
But this brings us to the other case where an Agent can be spotted on a hunter turn and this is truly a valid scenario:

The Intrepid Gun lines up sniper with Villainous Beast in sight. Villianous beast has Agent BlueJay in sight but lies abound keeping the Agent unseen. Intrepid Prophet reveals Agent BlueJay. Paradox reveals Villainous Beast to be an Orangutan in a wolf suit. Orangutan immediately vanishes and flees, leaving a last seen token around the corner from Intrepid Gun.

Its a hunter's turn (Intrepid Prophet's), but Orangutan started the turn as a hunter, became an Agent mid-turn, was in Intrepid Gun's LOS at that point, thus "was seen" and therefore becomes "was shot."


Oh my! This took a couple of times reading through but you're absolutely right. What a mess! I think my fellow players might walk away with disgust if such an event were to take place.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hazlewood
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kuro Kokon wrote:
I'm not sure about traitor mechanism at all (I haven't even read the whole rules about it) though, since I don't think I'll ever play the game with five players.


5p is definitely where this game becomes murkier, more devious and more confusing. I actually prefer not to play this with 5 players but I know others who think this is where Specter Ops really shines. I don't particularly go in for 'traitor' mechanisms in general.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Lesperance
United States
Northville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This bit is...slightly... on topic:

We were playing 5 player. Agent Bluejay did well in scoring all 3 objectives, but at the cost of having only 1 hit point remaining.

2 hunters gathered behind her. If she backtracked, she had little hope not being found. If she stayed put, she was already in line of sight of one of them.

And forward lay a road, which The Gun lined up with sniper shot.

There was no hope for Bluejay.

Suddenly, Orangutan ran up to the Gun. Took a sniper bullet to the chest. And, being within 2 squares of the Gun, used power fist to stun the Gun.

Stunned Hunters can not attack or use abilities. BlueJay squealed like a girl and ran across the road, vanishing into the ally on the other side.

Cat and Mouse ensued for 7 turns after that, but team hunter killed Bluejay when she was 5 squares from the exit.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.