$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
33% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Scythe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Battle in a lake with mechs, the loser was transporting resources and workers. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alberto Vitali
Italy
Casalecchio di Reno
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, we played yesterday our first game and I'm here with a simply question... I guess we played it correctly, but I would like to have an answer from someone else who knows the game better than me.

Q) If two enemies mechs fights in a lake and the losing mech was carrying resources and workers, what happens to the transported resources and workers?

A1) The losing mech and the workers it was carrying retreats on the faction home base. The resources are dropped instead over the lake, floating. The winning mech can now upload those resources and take control over them. (we played in that way).

A2) Honestly I have no answer, because I ruled that the outcome of the battle was like A1.
Also, thinking again on it, I'm still convinced that we played it correctly so I have no different outcomes than first one.

... but I,m not sure to have done it correctly.

Any hints or advices?

Thanks,
Alberto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, as in every other battle (on a non lake hex) the mechs AND the workers of the loosing side are forced to retreat. Normally to the home base, with the exception of Nordic units with the "Seaworthy" technology.

As for the resources: They stay on the hex and are now free to use for the winning side...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
sbaracleto wrote:
A1) The losing mech and the workers it was carrying retreats on the faction home base. The resources are dropped instead over the lake, floating. The winning mech can now upload those resources and take control over them. (we played in that way).

This, but what do you mean by "upload the resources"? There's no action or choice you have to make to have the mech "pick up" the resources before you can use them--the resources are in the hex, the defender controls the hex, therefore that player controls those resources and is able to use them for costs/endgame scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walts
Scotland
Kilwinning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you win a battle, it states ....

WINNER: The winner gains (or maintains) control of the
territory and all resource tokens on it.

... so I would play that the winner gains the resources. A couple
of the faction cards do state that you can't leave resources on
the lakes, but a battle scenario means you win them as you are
still on the hex? ... Walts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Vitali
Italy
Casalecchio di Reno
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrondeath wrote:
sbaracleto wrote:

This, but what do you mean by "upload the resources"? There's no action or choice you have to make to have the mech "pick up" the resources before you can use them--the resources are in the hex, the defender controls the hex, therefore that player controls those resources and is able to use them for costs/endgame scoring.

What I meant with "upload the resources" was simply a flavour text... it was just to let my player understand that the resources were floating on the water and, if not loaded into the mech (flavour text), then the resources had to be left behind on the lake.

... it was intended to let them understand that if they leave the lake without telling anything about the resources, resources will stay into the lake.

One of the most common error I faced during the play was that many times the players moved workers/mechs/characters from a controlled territory but leaving behind their resources, unguarded... then during their following actions I had to tell them: "Sorry, You can not do that action because Your formerly resources are now into an uncontrolled territory..."

Anyway it was our first play so I allowed them to take the resources even after the movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
... it was intended to let them understand that if they leave the lake without telling anything about the resources, resources will stay into the lake.
You can't leave resources on a lake. So if they leave the hex, then the resources move with them automatically. No need to declare it out loud, because they can't be left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Calinor wrote:
Quote:
You can't leave resources on a lake. So if they leave the hex, then the resources move with them automatically. No need to declare it out loud, because they can't be left.

Where do the rules state you cannot leave your resources in a lake? It is your choice to leave them behind in non-lake territories for sure - it could be that you don't want to give a would-be attacker more temptation. You won't be able to spend them if you leave them behind, however.

I'm asking because I may have missed a rule about lakes. modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Weberup
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
logris wrote:
Calinor wrote:
Quote:

Where do the rules state you cannot leave your resources in a lake? It is your choice to leave them behind in non-lake territories for sure - it could be that you don't want to give a would-be attacker more temptation. You won't be able to spend them if you leave them behind, however.

I'm asking because I may have missed a rule about lakes. modest

Seaworthy/Submerge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Jarad: It's on page 16:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet... thanks guys! That fits in with the concept that you must always have your resources exposed for other players. I *love* Scythe. It is absolutely worthy of being a Stonemaier game.

Edit: Well, if you are the only seafaring faction, you could just ferry resources over to a lake and be pretty much safe from repercussion. I still love Scythe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this mean that Resources carried by a Mech on a lake are 100% safe, then? That seems a little off. Hang out there, if you get driven off, no big deal just take your stuff home? Maybe I'm not reading this right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking that the resources don't go back to home base with the loser. So it would mean that after the battle, and the loser units are sent home, if the winner moves off that lake territory, they have to take the resources with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:
Does this mean that Resources carried by a Mech on a lake are 100% safe, then? That seems a little off. Hang out there, if you get driven off, no big deal just take your stuff home? Maybe I'm not reading this right.

You are not reading it right. If you are the loser in combat, you and your workers go back home. The resources stay, now under the ownership of the winning Mech/Character(s). The winning side cannot move away without taking the resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randiv wrote:
franklincobb wrote:

You are not reading it right. If you are the loser in combat, you and your workers go back home. The resources stay, now under the ownership of the winning Mech/Character(s). The winning side cannot move away without taking the resources.

Makes perfect sense. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Vitali
Italy
Casalecchio di Reno
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jelso
United States
California
flag msg tools
What if they only fought with a hero character and no mech? Only mechs can transport?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sjelso wrote:
What if they only fought with a hero character and no mech? Only mechs can transport?

All units can transport resources, so there's no issue here. If your character wins the battle, they gain control of any resources present and can carry them out on a later turn.

The 'only mechs can transport' thing applies only to transporting workers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sjelso wrote:

If they only fought with a hero character, they can still carry resources. They can't transport workers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.