Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Austin Smith
United States
New Brighton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey guys. I got about at origins game fair in June. I love the license and was very excited about the game, even though I've heard some bad stuff too. I've watched some videos on it and read about 4 pages of the rulebook far. I'm about ready to really dive into it, and I ordered some more figures. I feel a little late to the party concerning rules and updates. I did download the rules 2.0 PDF. I guess my question is, do I just disregard the rulebook that came the have then? Just read through the 2.0 rules? Is there anything else I should be aware of, rules charts, changes? I want to learn this game, but feel like people have recommended a lot of different things to balance it, or make it playable, and I don't want to me up my first experience. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mateusz Kowalski
Poland
flag msg tools
Hi Austin , I stick to 1.2 rules and they are good enough and well balanced for me , so i don't need to change anything. Only problem is to create well balanced and fair army for every faction. In my opinion the best way is to follow the 300 points rule, but it's hard to do when you have only core set. I have additionally power loader for marines and i've printed myself Major Dutch card. This 2 gives me about 250- 260 points + 3 standard marines, gives 300. For aliens i have royal guard + standart aliens. Predators are ok ,they are very powerfull as they are in set, eventually you can add them upgrade using some of advanced rules.
I don't understand all this rules complaining, for me they are good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Carter
msg tools
Like you said everyone has found different ways to balance the game. Like the last guy who commented I was one of the few who was able to get the game to work with the V.1.2 rulebook. However, that was with a lot of trial and error; while also adding my own houserules, and custom forces to the game. Personally I would say to just use the 2.0 rulebook when you get started playing. Prodos added a TON to the new rules, both clarifying rules and in some cases buffing and nerfing certain characters. At this point I no longer have the need for the houserules I created as most of them are actually official game rules now.

Also for starting expansions the Powerloader and the Alien Warriors will allow you to use almost all the models you own with the new force costs, with a nice starting point value of 180. Another disclaimer, I would HIGHLY recommend playing a couple games using the core force lists included in the V.2.0 book before starting to throw expansions in there. Just so that you can get a feel for the game, and how you personally would like to enhance each faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shirley T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
The V1.1 rules were a disaster (the only digitally available version before 2.0). They should never have been released. Anyone who defends them has had to change the rules or cherry pick what/when to follow rules (which undermines their stance in my opinion). Great fun can be had, certainly, but you DESERVE a complete and balanced game for the price of admission... and 1.1/1.2 doesn't cut it.

With that said, the new rules (V2.0) are surprisingly good! Almost every gripe I have had about balance, clarity, and design have been addressed in clever ways. I wrote a post on the difference here:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1615445/version-20-rule...

The release of these rules have been enough for me to soften on my stance that Prodos has no idea what they are doing. They still suck, but less so, now. It sucks that we will have to print new stat cards (when they are made available), but hey, that's where Warzone is today (at their v2.0).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shirley T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
I guess to more directly answer your question: READ THE V2.0 RULES!!!! They are much clearer and well written. You can still use your old cards and abilities with the new rules but keep this in mind:

-The point cost of Marines is hilariously low in the old book
-Predators should be fine (more or less): They lost an OP set of rules for the disk throw.

If you don't want to use the aliens new PAROXISM ability:
-Your infants/stalkers will be overpriced and weak, BUT
-If you have warriors, they will be Overpowered and cheap...
So overall, the Aliens will be balanced!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.