Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I set up the board and sleeved the cards after getting this in a Math Trade today. The components are absolutely stunning, a beautiful work of art! I am excited to explore it over the next few days!

Update 1:

I'm set up and playing 1 hero, Corbin a little dwarf guy drawn at random. After reading through the rules and setting this up, I feel like it is going to be a sweet game. Here goes nothing.

Update 2:

I played 13 turns which took me to the beginning of Act 2 and I must say that the game reminds me a lot - lot - of Shadows of Malice. The game is super clever and well designed. You really feel like your Hero is getting stronger and stronger in equipment and skill. You do lose a little bit of urgency in the solo game since there is no competition for resources, but that does not take away much of anything for me. I think if you just don't reset the Adventure Gems at all, or just once per act it would be similar to having another player. Also maybe refreshing the markets here and there. The disk combat is pretty cool but what is equally cool is that combat is only about half the game; the other half is doing neat little story-flavored skill checks and exploring.

I'm really liking this one so far and will continue the adventure to Slay the dragon tomorrow.

Update 3:

On the second to last notch on the time track in Act II, I marched over to Margath. I then took a learn skill action to draw up to full hand size. Then I spent my last action to battle the dragon. As you see in the picture, I had 5 learned skills (I was able to do 5 red because of the +2 on one of them) and I was decked out with 4 pieces of gear that I ended up acquiring during the adventure. It was a close battle that ended after round 2 when my "Living Weapon" skill finished him off with the final damage needed. I almost died, taking 10 damage but thankfully I had 2 more from the Runic Armor. I had thought I died at the time until I saw that. This was a fun - fun - adventure game that I absolutely enjoyed a lot. More than I expected I would, I didn't have all that much hope for this one. I was delightfully overtaken by the world and all that goes on in this game. It is brilliant and I am ready to play again.

Link to the original report where more discussion was had-> Item for Geeklist "Solitaire Games On Your Table: August 2016"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report. I just got this recently and played through three solo sessions. I'm not quite in the "brilliant" camp, but I do think it's a clear step up from 1E and 2E.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is more than the sum of it's parts. It all comes together as the most pure fun I've ever had with an adventure game, and I generally get bored silly by the typical overly random adventure game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pontiff
United States
Houma
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you elaborate on how your opinion is on the combat token system since you played solo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fryd Pickles wrote:
Can you elaborate on how your opinion is on the combat token system since you played solo?

I loved it. I have a large circular dice tray that I casted them in and it worked great.

Here is what I said about it in another thread:

Quote:
I think the tokens are pretty sweet. They set this game apart from the rest for me. I love - love - how most of the equipment you buy also gives you another disk to cast.

As far as resolving the combat disks with an app, I think it would be very hard to do this and it might be more cumbersome to punch in the details on the app than it is to quickly make some decisions for the monster.

The AI that I use for the monsters are:

1. Will I die this turn? If so, do the most damage possible.
2. Can I cast any exert abilities that are beneficial?
3. If not, do the most damage possible.

Also on agility tokens, I don't recast anything, instead it can be used to flip any token on either side (I do this to speed combat up).

Do you have any specific questions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping to get into this solo when I can clear off some table space . Is there a doom track or similar mechanic for solo play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madDdog67 wrote:
I'm hoping to get into this solo when I can clear off some table space . Is there a doom track or similar mechanic for solo play?

Yes in the first big picture in the OP on the left hand side of the game board, there is a track that moves down each turn, telling you when to draw Story Cards and also when to reset Adventure Gems (the little tokens on the board that you flip after resolving). Once it gets to the bottom, you flip the token over to the "2" side and move it back to the top of the track. Enemies then get a strong 2 damage token added to their casting pool. It's a very tightly and cleverly designed system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cranky hobbit
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
This game is great solo! particularly Margath scenario. The Vorakesh scenario is more geared for 2 perhaps even 3 minimum (yet to win it with one hero)

I wonder if anyone can give opinions on soloing the latest expansions?
It seems the "a dark star falls" is not geared for solo but caught in a web, perhaps??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the Caught in a Web expansion. I may try it next solo and report back here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Todd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just tried Caught in a Web for the first time tonight (using the new Hero, Jonas the Kind), but like all other scenarios it revolves around getting as many extra tokens (through weapons, clothing and equipment) as possible to stand a chance in the end-game boss fight. Ultimately, this means the focus is on getting as much money as possible, and the best way of doing that seems to be buying the goods assets and ferrying them to the appropriate shrine/stronghold/town for sale.

In my opinion most of the skills are barely worth having ("nice to have" at best), so I've basically started ignoring the combat/exploration/social decks, which seems to fly in the face of what the game is actually about.

Anyone found the same? I think I'm going to take out some of the goods assets from the asset deck next time to remedy this, but it might make things a bit too tough.

Incidentally Ariad beat me today, so serves me right I suppose...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.