10 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Should I buy this or expansions for 1st Edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
hans hansen
msg tools
Hi,

I've been trying to find good information on this, but I have the first edition and our group have been playing through all scenarios in the base game. We were thinking of picking up an expansion, but now I'm wondering if I'd rather buy this.

My question therefore is this - Having recently played through 1st edition, is the content in 2nd edition different enough or should I keep expanding 1st edition instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Williams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I would personally opt for purchasing the second edition, however perhaps give it a short time for all the kinks in the app to be worked out.

However if you're happy with first edition and your group are eager to explore the rest of the stories then really it's up to you. The stories from the first edition don't carry over to second edition, however the monsters, investigators and tiles do.

Also worth noting that fantasy flight have announced two packs of tiles, investigators and monsters that will bring the relevant first edition content into second, and will coincide with a pair of new scenarios for the app.

I personally would never play first edition over second, but if your group is content with the long setup times and wants to continue then really it's up to you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
United States
Mesa
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm betting once you see how much 1st edition expansions cost that you will be running toward the 2nd edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
If your group enjoys playing 1st Ed. and you can find the expansions for less than a left kidney, buy them. You can always pick up 2nd Ed. later if you want and 1st Ed. will let you play a ton of user created stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
How much do you value the keeper vs player dynamic?

That's the biggest question.

Having said that, here is the best of MoM 1st edition:

Base only, user made scenarios. Some of these are wonderful story driven one offs. So many to download and print!

Forbidden Alchemy, not so hot, however the Laboratory PoD that requires it is EXCELLENT and extremely re-playable.

Call of the Wild, overall excellent. Much better scenarios, shorter, gamey-er, better balanced.

Finally, the Yellow Sign PoD only needs the base game and is an excellent example of a base MoM 1st edition scenario with 3 different objectives.

My group loves MoM 1st edition and it saw play about once or twice a month (until we binged on Pandemic: Legacy, which we finished last Saturday with a Legendary Achievement victory.

2nd edition will arrive this week and will be played this weekend!

We 'cited!

Can't wait to compare the monster sculpts to my Cthulhu Wars ones. I already know I won't be bothering with the MoM Hunting Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ravitiate wrote:
My question therefore is this - Having recently played through 1st edition, is the content in 2nd edition different enough or should I keep expanding 1st edition instead?

They're very different. If you like 1st Ed, keep hunting down the 1st Ed expansions. 2nd Ed is a completely different beast with a similar feel. And to "complete" 2nd Ed, you don't need any of 1st Ed. FFG announced the Recurring Nightmares expansion that will have all the figures/tiles from 1st Ed.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmb
For me, Mansions of Madness is a game of psychological fight between players and the overlord. I always have fun as the overlord and I can't imagine to change the first edition for some app driven game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MerryHo wrote:
I'm betting once you see how much 1st edition expansions cost that you will be running toward the 2nd edition.

Although once they release the 2nd edition expansions, there may well be less demand for 1st edition expansions so prices may fall. Possibly even the announcement may reduce demand, so if you can wait a little while it may be worthwhile to do so. In the meantime 2nd edition may give you some more scenarios to play, and there are also the fab based expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like the base game and can get the expansions, do it now while you can. They're tough to find, MoM2 isn't. (The one-off print-on-demand scenarios are still available through FFG's website, so don't pay through the nose for those.)

I really like 2nd edition but I don't think it'll replace 1st edition for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hans hansen
msg tools
Thank you for all the replies - I guess I'm going to concider a bit more before making a decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.