25 Posts

Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » General

Subject: Number of players Final Answer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
For some reason, this still pops up in almost every thread.

Out of the box, this game is 3 players only. No more, and no less.
When the expansions come out it will be 3+ players only and the expansions can be switched out for one of the core species. (I hope they have a suggested way of splitting up the core exploration deck then.)

The game can be played with two players, but it is not recommended by GF9 or by many of the people who have done it.
Pretty much you loose a few of the game mechanics, some of the species balance, and a lot of player interactions. It can still be fun, but it's not the full game.

It cannot be played solitaire at this point, but might be when the NPC expansions come out.

On the same token You could also make it up to 6 players with a second base game and a lot jury rigging of tokens that represent the different players and their ships. (I would suggest buying a copy of Star Trek Risk or Catan for the different game pieces)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John1701 wrote:
It cannot be played solitaire at this point, but might be when the NPC expansions come out.

When you say cannot be played solitaire, does that preclude one person playing as all three factions because there is a significant amount of hidden information in the game? Or is it just that the game is intended to be played by multiple opponents, in which case it might be possible to just play all three sides using the best strategy for each side, perhaps helped out by a dice (or some such) when a choice between two or more plausible strategies is required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it's really too bad that an enjoyable 2-player option wasn't planned when this was developed; it'll def cost them a lot sales...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
keitharchaeologist wrote:
John1701 wrote:

When you say cannot be played solitaire, does that preclude one person playing as all three factions because there is a significant amount of hidden information in the game? Or is it just that the game is intended to be played by multiple opponents, in which case it might be possible to just play all three sides using the best strategy for each side, perhaps helped out by a dice (or some such) when a choice between two or more plausible strategies is required.

One player would have to play all 3 sides. I've heard that some fans are already working on AI instructions. If you played it solitaire, making a list of priorities for each species could work (example: Klingons: priority 1 combat, priority 2: invade, priority 3: ship upgrades, etc.)

That being said, I will probably play a couple of games solitaire to make sure that I have the mechanics down and to learn the advantages and disadvantages of the species, command order, etc.

It's just not a game like Tiny epic galaxies, or Deep space D6 that are solitary games. I mean, anyone can jury rig anything, but this one would require some pre-planning to make it a real solitaire game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At GenCon the staff told me that playing solo will be a very difficult thing to do and also creating something will be difficult. I asked because I was only going to buy it if solo play was even a slight possibility and it isn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McGuire
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the number of players keeps scaling up for each additional faction you buy, right?

So if you have the base game and buy the Ferengi, now it's a 3 or 4 player game. If you then also buy the Cardassians, it's now a 3, 4, or 5 player game? I assume this is correct?

I see there are 10 turn order cards that come with the base set (thanks to an unboxing video I watched; linked from this forum). So we're looking at at least 10 factions/players, right? As a possibility....though at 1 hour per player, I'm not sure anyone would want to play with that many!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
Ardrikk wrote:
So the number of players keeps scaling up for each additional faction you buy, right?

So if you have the base game and buy the Ferengi, now it's a 3 or 4 player game. If you then also buy the Cardassians, it's now a 3, 4, or 5 player game? I assume this is correct?

I see there are 10 turn order cards that come with the base set (thanks to an unboxing video I watched; linked from this forum). So we're looking at at least 10 factions/players, right? As a possibility....though at 1 hour per player, I'm not sure anyone would want to play with that many!

Yes, every player expansion will add another player. The map is flexible and they even told me to make it as big as you want. I have a 7'x4' table so I will probably stick to the recommended 18" distance in the book. Only possible downfall is on a rectangular play area some systems will be impossibly far away. StarCraft solved this with z axises(essentially 1 move warp portals to another matching tile on the board). I didn't see anything in ST: Ascendancy that did this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:
Ardrikk wrote:

Yes, every player expansion will add another player. The map is flexible and they even told me to make it as big as you want. I have a 7'x4' table so I will probably stick to the recommended 18" distance in the book. Only possible downfall is on a rectangular play area some systems will be impossibly far away. StarCraft solved this with z axises(essentially 1 move warp portals to another matching tile on the board). I didn't see anything in ST: Ascendancy that did this.

Yes, You can just keep adding players. But yeah, many of them will never interact, but your actions on the right side of the board will still have an effect on what's going on on the left side.

Also, according to a Facebook answer, you can substitute the new species for the base ones, down to a min of 3. So you could play Fed/Kling/Ferengi. Or when another one comes out play Cardy/Ferengi/Andorian(just an example). You might or might not have to buy extra tokens, space lanes, nodes, etc. We don't know if they come in the smaller boxes yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
John1701 wrote:
Cardy/Ferengi/Federation

Fixed that for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Novacat wrote:
John1701 wrote:
Cardy/Ferengi/Federation

Fixed that for you.

This argument again, lol. That's why I added the (just an example) side note, lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you can play this game solitaire by controlling all factions yourself; the game has no hidden information so as long as you perform the best moves per faction you should get pretty close to a game with real players.

they said before they plan 9 expansions, of which 2 will be npc factions, so that leaves a chance at 7 additional player factions.

while the map could be huge with so many players, the warp bonuses from research allow to travel quite far with your ships/fleets.
the only issue is the ascendancy victory which can be achieved quite fast; the game tends to end around turn 10-12.

if you want a truly epic game, then i would either make ascendancy much more expensive to achieve or not use it as a victory condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Angelsenior wrote:

they said before they plan 9 expansions, of which 2 will be npc factions, so that leaves a chance at 7 additional player factions.

They said 9 planned expansions for next year alone, not nine total.
They've since added that they have the next 3 years of content planned out, since the game is doing so well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McGuire
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
you can play this game solitaire by controlling all factions yourself; the game has no hidden information so as long as you perform the best moves per faction you should get pretty close to a game with real players.

while the map could be huge with so many players, the warp bonuses from research allow to travel quite far with your ships/fleets.
the only issue is the ascendancy victory which can be achieved quite fast; the game tends to end around turn 10-12.

if you want a truly epic game, then i would either make ascendancy much more expensive to achieve or not use it as a victory condition.

NPC Factions? Any idea what that means? How they'll work?

Does that imply that we won't get to play as The Borg?

Possibly also not The Dominion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ardrikk wrote:

Those are the two factions they specifically mentioned. They're both too large-scale to be on the same level as other factions. Plus, the Borg don't do diplomacy.

I can imagine the Borg being introduced with exploration cards that spawn ships randomly throughout the galaxy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Novacat wrote:
Ardrikk wrote:

Those are the two factions they specifically mentioned. They're both too large-scale to be on the same level as other factions. Plus, the Borg don't do diplomacy.

I can imagine the Borg being introduced with exploration cards that spawn ships randomly throughout the galaxy.

I hope we can play them! But as of right now, we don't know anything either way. We don't know how they will work as NPCs either.

The obvious way would just be to have Borg ships with random spawns, but I hope that they will do things like Attack the nearest system and destroy settlements. Maybe even build additional ships after X amount of ships and nodes have been destroyed.

If they are playable The Borg could even just have the rule that they can't Hegemony. Maybe they can only take culture from the players and destroyed culture nodes on the map.

The dominion could have a fixed map that they come out of (or maybe a preassembled territory that you would randomly build).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
One of the guys working the GF9 booth at GenCon said the Borg were planned to be the 9th expansion, he said he had no idea (or maybe couldn't say) who 6, 7, and 8 would be.

Didn't say anything to me about the Dominion but I mean that's the biggest no-brainer faction for this game.

My friends and I have been speculating on the others, I think the Terran Empire from the Mirror Universe could be cool, a military focused Federation; but I'm not sure the player base would like that (would probably just be black colored Federation pieces).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm a lover of all things heavyweight strategy!
mbmbmbmbmb
GoodGuyJim wrote:
One of the guys working the GF9 booth at GenCon said the Borg were planned to be the 9th expansion, he said he had no idea (or maybe couldn't say) who 6, 7, and 8 would be.

Didn't say anything to me about the Dominion but I mean that's the biggest no-brainer faction for this game.

My friends and I have been speculating on the others, I think the Terran Empire from the Mirror Universe could be cool, a military focused Federation; but I'm not sure the player base would like that (would probably just be black colored Federation pieces).

It seems like at least some of y'all haven't seen the video in the videos section where the GF9 guy discusses this game at length. He said that they plan to implement the Borg and the Dominion as more of situations in the game which the players have to deal with (so that could be possibly NPC, it could be "events", something of the sort) because playing them as a race isn't conducive to the way the game is designed. That video may be worth checking out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
42 is the answer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Grimm
Germany
Elsdorf
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
R2EQ wrote:
42 is the answer

No, it is Star Trek, it is 47.

Atti
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
Attila wrote:
R2EQ wrote:
42 is the answer

No, it is Star Trek, it is 47.

I did not get your answer so I googled it. Pretty cool!

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/47

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So in theory a Klingon/federation versus Romulan/cardassian game would work as a good two player in the future?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GitFeatures wrote:
So in theory a Klingon/federation versus Romulan/cardassian game would work as a good two player in the future?

I don't think Klingons will ever be a good idea in a two-player game. They're just too strong militarily to be kept in check by only one opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Novacat wrote:
GitFeatures wrote:

I don't think Klingons will ever be a good idea in a two-player game. They're just too strong militarily to be kept in check by only one opponent.

The Cardy's might be able to take them. They can cancel a lot of their advancements and they get a lot of good combat cards as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You think the Cardassians can keep up with Klingon production? They may have comparable military tech, but the Klingons will have a numbers advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Novacat wrote:
You think the Cardassians can keep up with Klingon production? They may have comparable military tech, but the Klingons will have a numbers advantage.

Klingons would have to hit every system 1 by 1 and would have to deal with their defensive cards.
If a player laid out their map well enough then I could see them being a pretty strong opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.