Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So I competed against Stubb and ran into a few questions; previous forum posts did not answer all. Can you please help?

1. Stubb has the combined prepare/launch action. From what I read this means he would prepare twice before launching the first ship, because preparing is his priority (and he may prepare multiple ships), and only then launch (if we are in round 6 or higher at that time). Right?

2. Tey layout of un-built buildings does not matter, right? For example, they need not to be set up in 3 colums. (Initially I confused that with the 3 "columns" on Stubb's capatin's board.)

3. When the captain cannot take the heading action he falls back on captain's orders, but (as I read in another post) starting with line 2, I guess because line 1 only gives his preferences which building to use once he has decided what to do. Right?

4. If I play against Stubb (only, i.e. 2-player setup), should I replace some "2-player" buildings with Stubb's favourite buildings (inn, chandlery etc.)? If so, which?

5. 2-player solo: If I add Turner's Mill this means that I play with 9 non-VP buildings (+4 VP buildings), right?

6. What is the captain's top priority: To use the buildings in the order stated in Captain's Orders (row 1), or to maximize goods? In other words, would Stubb prefer his own buildings even if they yield less, or would he use a common or player building to get a maximum of goods? (I know he does not actually "get" the goods but rather blocks the player from getting them.) I see, that is answered in the Starbuck example. Row 1 takes preference.

7. Not solo-specific: Both setup images (normal & solo) show 12 non-VP buildings arranged in a 3x4 grid. However, for 2 players I use only 8 non-VP buildings, and for 3-4 players the rules say "all", i.e. 16 non-VP buildings. Why exactly does the image show 12 buildings?

BTW, I lost 25:21, but as it was the 1st game ever I'm not too sad. And I probably made a few mistakes, can't even say in whose favour. Apart from my occasional confusion I liked the solo game, the captains certainly are worthy opponents. Looking forward to play it multi-player!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Right
2. Right, the actual physical layout doesn't matter.
3. Right again. It might be that there are multiple buildings that can be used for one of the fallback actions, which would be chosen in the same order.
4. Usually, you still only need to use the normal 2-player buildings, and you can skip over anything that isn't in the game. And the captains don't always build every building they might use, so there is some variation depending on what other players choose to build. That said, feel free to use any combination of buildings.
5. Exactly right.

7. I don't really know. Maybe they decided to use the average amount.

Glad you enjoyed the solo, and I hope you have just as much fun with more players!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the fast reply! Looks like I got the hang of it now

Ishmael wrote:
Whenever I find myself going grim about the mouth; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, … then I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One more thing… the solo rules say (possible headings/money) that Tryworks is handled as usual. But no money is involved when using Tryworks. So why is it mentioned in that section?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent question. I consider the Tryworks a money building because you save the money (up to $6) you don't have to pay to return the whales. I understand why that isn't an obvious conclusion to make because you're not actually receiving money for it. But I include it when the captain searches for money, as if the captain were doing the math with the whales on his ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bold

Colorado
msg tools
Sivilized wrote:
Excellent question. I consider the Tryworks a money building because you save the money (up to $6) you don't have to pay to return the whales. I understand why that isn't an obvious conclusion to make because you're not actually receiving money for it. But I include it when the captain searches for money, as if the captain were doing the math with the whales on his ship.

So I guess that would make the Customhouse the most potentially lucrative if it is in the game (pays up to $10). Does the same rule apply for the other commodities -- choose building that pays the most? If so it would be nice to have an ordered list so we don't have to search rules, anyone want to format one? The list for Brick seems to be the easiest: Brickyard 3, Storehouse 2, Chandlery 1. The Warehouse (either 2 or 1 Brick) was not included as it is a Town Board Action Square (not a tiled building).

I set up a game with me against all four Captains so the 5 player board was used which has the Wheelhouse (pays $3 to first user). It helped somewhat for when a Captain was searching for money but created a new issue with moving the Ship's Wheel token (changes turn rotation for Captains) but by rule the player (Me) always goes last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the customhouse can be crazy, you'd evaluate it as it is at the moment the captain would use it. (Don't include potential moves that bring a ship in)
The other commodity spaces don't have money values. (The Chandlery does, it's $1) At one point in development each captain had a custom list of values for action spaces, which was eliminated. We hoped players would find it easier to just evaluate manually rather than give an explicit list, but that might be valuable for the less than obvious buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.