Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Maiz
United States
Palmyra
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This one is a home run for me. The exact game I wanted.

In ST:A you are slowly building up the map the way each player wants it in order to win the game for you. Each player chooses a group- they are unique to each culture and have pluses and minuses. Each culture gains extra culture tokens for doing something specific while having a downside. EX: the Federation player gains culture for discovering new cultures and phenomenon but cannot invade other cultures. There are two ways to win: eliminate 2 other players and keep your home world or reach 5 ascendancy using culture. Keeping with the 4x themes: eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate....

Explore: The game 'feels' like star trek- exploring new places and meeting new people and such. The 4X is as much as you can handle - want a faster game?? start closer to each other.. Want a weekend of star trek? Once you have 2 or 3 expansions, start father apart and go find more stuff. Want a faster start? give 6 starting resources at start. Its up to you. With each expansion, it was told that there will be 10 more systems and such. The 4 player games at Gencon included some of the Cardassian system (Badlands, Brier Patch,..) so that was cool.

Expand: By nature of the above, there are ALOT of things to explore as you create your map the way you want it. Once thing this game brings that no other does is the changeable system design. You can move the systems any direction you want until you lock it in with another space lane. Very cool. Systems have a limit on the # of lanes out, so you can create your own bottle necks with key locations. The only limit is your table space/playing area. Find a system you want to keep? turn it towards your homeworld and discover a new one to block it. Find a level 4 hazard phenomena ? Move it towards your foes and make a blocking path.

Exploit - By midgame, you might make some first contact. Make some trades and allys. Alliances are key as your map shrinks. Put a science fleet in a phenomena and get free research each turn without using a command. Then you can use it to accelerate your research. Another great exploit is the initiate system. Take 3rd/4th place and go last, then bid last and take #1 and get a double turn before anyone else can do anything to stop you.

Exterminate: One way to win is to take out 2/3 other players - so least to say its a way to win. The warp ability is awesome - let a fleet of ships 'cook' on your homeworld to wait for a window then send them across the map and take out a players new planet or even a home world. In one game the federation player asked for passage thru the a Klingon system 'in order to attack the Cardasian player' only to make a left and goto the home world of the Klingons. He then used homogeneity to change the Klingons to Federation. A very sneaky and legal thing to do.

Having run more than 5 full gaming sessions of multiple games at gencon, all of the games were different and no two win conditions were the same. It is a totally balanced game for the 4X game family. Replay-ability is a ton, and once we get some more expansions, the player count and races will be off the charts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arrrh Thanks for the review! My box comes Wednesday by Gamer Buddy Express.

Were all the games you ran 3 Player? Did you use the Cardassians at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Maiz
United States
Palmyra
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ran 5 sessions of 4 player games at Gencon (20 hours+); We did have a 3 player game to start but I jumped into the Federation seat and ran them for the group to show how to play, and to get in some gametime myself to get a feel of it. The game has a Star Trek 'feel' and the 4X is there in your face when you want it. I cannot wait for the future of this game and to see what the GF9 team takes this - hopefully going where no game has gone before...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Preder
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I had you doing my demo for Star Trek at Gen Con.
Our demo team consisted of a man and presumably his wife that had no clue how to play the game. He was more interested in collecting tokens and throwing Warp tokens out onto the table every time someone took a move action because he seemed confined to his chair.
We have 4 people playing, and after 40 minutes, we each had 1 turn and no clue about any of the actions or objectives of the game.
My wife said she felt sick, and we all got up and left.
GF9 should really check out who is demoing their games, because after this experience, not a single member of my family will ever even touch this game again and I know it is all because of this horrid demo team, not because of the actual game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
demoers are generally volunteers and some only join late so yeah experiences can vary wildly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Preder
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
demoers are generally volunteers and some only join late so yeah experiences can vary wildly

I realize this and have been contacted by GF9 since to address my gameplay experience during the demo. The excellent customer service I received from GF9 is about some of the best I have ever received, and I am compelled to revisit their demos again next year after the incredible response.

I have since played Star Trek with a friend that actually had a good demo at Gen Con, and I really enjoyed the game. It is quite good, and captures the Star Trek theme amazingly well. My wife enjoyed it as well, but she did think it was too long. She doesn't enjoy 4x games that much, and we didn't play with any speedup rules, so I still consider that a win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Siskin
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game today and just loved it!!! This looks like my new go-to 4X game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dumpty wrote:
I played my first game today and just loved it!!! This looks like my new go-to 4X game!

That is what I am hoping for too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.