Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Insanity for the solo player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Ebert

Jackson
Georgia
msg tools
I have not played the game yet, but have read the rules. I will be playing the game mostly solo and am concerned about a character suffering from insanity during solo play. Anyone have an idea how to handle the situation where you are playing solo with two characters and one of your characters goes insane giving you possibly two separate win/lose conditions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven riola

joliet
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd have to play honestly with the best intention for each player to win.
Trying to complete each objective for each character, which may be controlling two characters differently. One rushing for the end game. One competing for their insanity win condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Not sure about this, but I thought I read somewhere that the app only gives those type of insanity cards to 3 or more players. As long as you are only playing with two investigators it should be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maad McCarthy
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
My copy has not arrived yet, but from what I have read this would not occur.
Each sanity card has a player count (not character count) indicating the minimum number of players required (IE 2+). If the number of players is not met then it is discarded and a new card is drawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, so they've got this idiotic app thing running the game and they STILL didn't make the game true co-op?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Logan
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowsclassic wrote:
Not sure about this, but I thought I read somewhere that the app only gives those type of insanity cards to 3 or more players. As long as you are only playing with two investigators it should be fine.

This.

All of the insanity cards for 1 or 2 players don't give you split objectives. If they add objectives, they require you to win the base game, plus something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Logan
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Wow, so they've got this idiotic app thing running the game and they STILL didn't make the game true co-op?

Well, you could make it a true coop by removing some of the cards. It would turn into something closer to a Dead of Winter coop, which going insane makes it harder for you to win, rather than making you a traitor.

They effective made Stamina and Sanity different by adding this mechanic. Normally they just feel like 2 separate version of "health".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Logan
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I really like that one of the insanity cards forbids you from talking for the rest of the game. This is great because it means everyone can just stop talking once they go insane if they want to bluff and give a reason for not helping as much without tipping his/her hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I remember correctly, there are 4 Insanity cards that are labeled 1+. If you're playing solo, these are the only cards you should use.

Of those cards, none of those have any kind of "secret" objective, they only include the possibility of adding something to what you need to win.

If I was at home, I could be more specific on what the win conditions are, but I'd be operating from memory, which isn't good right now since I've been staying up far too late playing this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Ebert

Jackson
Georgia
msg tools
Thanks for the responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
StormKnight wrote:

The app is cool.

Insanity cards have a player count in the lower right hand corner. You don't use any cards that have a higher player count (the rules say to discard them, but I prefer removing them before the game begins).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
East Windsor
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:

This truly is a feature, not a bug. Why would you expect a game with insanity as a punishment to have all players with the same goal at all times?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
StormKnight wrote:

The insanity mechanic has nothing to do with the app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Heim
United States
Goodview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I hope they include more insanity cards that don't turn it into a semi-coop game. For my game group, this ruined our experience. Their description states "fully cooperative".

I'm happy for those that enjoy being a traitor or like conflict, but I think they could have come up with a better "fully cooperative" mechanic for insanity.

Till something official changes this, we'll be house ruling something in its place. Although I'm not a fan of house rules, so more than likely it'll just sit on a shelf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strumiker wrote:
I hope they include more insanity cards that don't turn it into a semi-coop game. For my game group, this ruined our experience. Their description states "fully cooperative".

I'm happy for those that enjoy being a traitor or like conflict, but I think they could have come up with a better "fully cooperative" mechanic for insanity.

Till something official changes this, we'll be house ruling something in its place. Although I'm not a fan of house rules, so more than likely it'll just sit on a shelf

No need to house rule anything. Check the insanity cards and take out the ones that set those traitor effects for your games. Most of them set other effects without disrupting the cooperation, actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Heim
United States
Goodview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Acererak wrote:
No need to house rule anything. Check the insanity cards and take out the ones that set those traitor effects for your games. Most of them set other effects without disrupting the cooperation, actually.

Thanks, this is what we came up with as well. To me this is house ruling it since we aren't playing per the rules as written - but it'll do

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Kiley
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
err404 wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

This truly is a feature, not a bug. Why would you expect a game with insanity as a punishment to have all players with the same goal at all times?

I'm just glad it's not "semi" co-op where you're never sure what side you're on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
Also, I really like that one of the insanity cards forbids you from talking for the rest of the game. This is great because it means everyone can just stop talking once they go insane if they want to bluff and give a reason for not helping as much without tipping his/her hand.

As long as someone doesn't draw the real card for no talking when THEY go insane *awkward"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
oldschoolgamr wrote:
mfl134 wrote:

As long as someone doesn't draw the real card for no talking when THEY go insane *awkward"

That would be amazing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Old Forge
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished a solo game where both my investigators got insane cards. You can only chose cards that have a 1+ on it. Both investigators couldn't win unless they had completed additional, yet separate objectives. One of which probably made me lose the game! It was an interesting twist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The solo insane cards only have effects that limit the investigator's abilities, or add an additional criteria that must be met to win (but not contradicting the normal win)
For the latter, I just rule it as an additional criteria that I, the player, must achieve in order to win. Even though only one of the investigators doesn't have to do it, I'm playing both investigators so I'd have them both do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erica Larson
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
What happens if, while playing solo with 2 investigators, 1 investigator is insane and eliminated? Does the eliminated investigators insane "win condition" still apply?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Harlan

Oregon
msg tools
mb
ericajean79 wrote:
What happens if, while playing solo with 2 investigators, 1 investigator is insane and eliminated? Does the eliminated investigators insane "win condition" still apply?

If their condition works after elimination, yes. Few do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the rule:
RRG - Eliminated wrote:
An eliminated investigator does not win the game when the
investigation is complete unless an effect states otherwise.

This means that only the following Insane Conditions would allow you to win while Eliminated:
(I'll spoiler tag for those not wanting to know the conditions):
Spoiler (click to reveal)
• 2+ For the Greater Good (You are eliminated and investigation is complete)
• 3+ Crisis of Conscience (The investigation isn't complete at the end of the game)
• 3+ Pyromania (6 Rooms on fire)

The others all require you to be active, or require the investigation to complete.

Incidentally, as none of these are available in the Solo game, you would only score a half-win if you managed to finish the investigation after one of your investigators is eliminated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ericajean79 wrote:

I prefer to play it like this:
-you lose if you fail to satisfy an insane condition (otherwise what's the point of them)
-you win even if an investigator is eliminated (otherwise why even play another round)
-you still have to do the insane condition of an eliminated investigator (otherwise you might eliminate them intentionally)

Although if you are fine with the idea of a "half-win" you can just say it's a half-win if an investigator is defeated or doesn't fulfill their insane condition. It won't matter if it's both - still a half win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.