Hide
13 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Mage Knight - Mines Liberation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Smothermon
msg tools
Can you stop on a mine without attacking? Rules seem to indicate you can, but why have revealed monsters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoman1965 wrote:
why have revealed monsters?

Why not? It's just the rule. Why reveal the defender of a keep or mage tower when you move next to it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smothermon
msg tools
But you must attack when you enter that space if it is not conquered. Only the adventure sites allow you to stop your movement on them and not attack, and you don't see what the monsters are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yes. Both monsters are inside the mines so you can move onto the site without a problem

The first token is guarding the entrance, the other token is deeper inside so you aren't exactly sure about everything
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smothermon
msg tools
Thanks. That is how we are playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Held
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
This shark, swallow you whole.
badge
I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish.
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Smoman1965 wrote:
why have revealed monsters?

Why not? It's just the rule. Why reveal the defender of a keep or mage tower when you move next to it?

Lol...David. Jeez.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another try at an answer, maybe this is better?

"It's mostly just for flavor. The Orc is visible from the mine entrance, the other defender is only revealed once you enter. But having some information about the defender helps you plan your strategy."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Held
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
This shark, swallow you whole.
badge
I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish.
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Here's another try at an answer, maybe this is better?

"It's mostly just for flavor. The Orc is visible from the mine entrance, the other defender is only revealed once you enter. But having some information about the defender helps you plan your strategy."

I liked your first answer better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Kneipp
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
So, from a flavor standpoint, which sites do you consider to be underground versus above ground? It seems obvious that Villages, Monasteries, Keeps, and Towers are above ground. Mines are below ground, but with visible enemies guarding the entrance (per the response above). I assume that Tombs, Monster Dens, Dungeons, and Spawning Grounds are below ground. What about a Labyrinth? Above or below? (If there's a rule that should clarify this, it slips my minds.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From a flavor point of view, the enemies in the dungeons, labyrinths, monster dens, and ruins are not visible from outside. You need to enter to find out what you're up against. The monastery is different---the defender isn't summoned by the monks until you attack the monastery, that's why you don't find out what it is until you attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Kneipp
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Makes sense on the Monastery. Thank you. As for the Labyrinth, I get what you are saying, but do you think that these are actually above or below ground? I ask this from a flavor standpoint specifically. From the icon, it appears to be above ground, but I can't tell with certainty. (Yes, I'm kind of weird, wanting to know things like this. But, I'm into it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the maze and labyrinth are "above ground" (they don't have the restriction on the use of gold mana, like the dungeon does) but you have to work your way through an intricate network of passages and twists and turns to find the denizens and rewards within. They might also be regarded as "at ground level" but you might still venture into caves or rooms within the maze or labyrinth, even though not strictly "outside".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Kneipp
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Great points. I agree. Thanks for taking the time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.