Subject: An Alan Smithee production? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I can't help but notice that Vlaada's name is nowhere on any pictures of the box front or back that I've seen, even though it's quite prominent on the original Codenames. Makes me think he doesn't altogether approve of the need for such a product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well as his company produces it, i'm sure he is fine with it.

the general population of which is going to be introduced to this game via Target, does not know or care who Vlaada is, so no need for a name on the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Maybe it was released simply to get more shelf space for essentially the same game, which may appeal to adults more (harder market to grab).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Vlaada's company (CGE) did not produce this game. Target designed it, did all the artwork, and they produced it.
Vlaada / CGE gave their permission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Washington
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So...CGE made

aka a great strategic business move. Congratulations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Tessmann III
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
Vlaada's company (CGE) did not produce this game. Target designed it, did all the artwork, and they produced it.
Vlaada / CGE gave their permission.

I see Tomáš Kučerovský still listed under Illustration, because they reused the assassin tile art (not sure whether the word and answer key count as illustration or graphic design), but with the addition of Petr Kudriavtcev, who seems to live in Russia. Do you mean that Target contracted the art out to Russia, while they printed the game in the US, according to the box? If so, that's disappointing," he said, avoiding going further in the direction of politics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Tessmann III
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jepmn wrote:
I can't help but notice that Vlaada's name is nowhere on any pictures of the box front or back that I've seen, even though it's quite prominent on the original Codenames. Makes me think he doesn't altogether approve of the need for such a product.

So I wrote up a reply in which I argued that this was more of a corporate "credit nobody" decision, along with the suggestions that Target's target market (shake) doesn't care about designers and even might be scared off by a scary furrin name on the box. I also worked in a rather weak reference to The IT Crowd, noted that Vlaada's name does appear in the credits section of the rules when he presumably could have had it left out (which is, after all, the whole point behind the name Alan Smithee), then finished with a wry suggestion that maybe we could use this international series of tubes to ask Vlaada directly, rather than try to infer his feelings. And I swear I hit Submit, not Preview, when finished, so I'm going to claim that BGG ate my original post, not that I hit the wrong button.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.