Kill The Unicorns» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Kill the Unicorns: My demo experience at GenCon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Heyse
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
This year at GenCon, I had the opportunity to participate in a demo of Kill the Unicorns, an upcoming game by Morning Players.

In this game, players take on the role of fantastical characters (Wizard, Knight, Thief, Shaman, etc...) bent on solving the kingdom's rampant unicorn overpopulation problem. Each character has their own special ability, which gives them a unique advantage when plotting their majestic genocide.

I should stop here to say that the game I played was a prototype, and that the game will not be finished for some time. Because of this, I won't talk overmuch about the game mechanics. Suffice it to say that the game was played on small hex tiles, with randomly distributed "trap" markers placed on a few. Player take turns moving around the board, causing the spooked unicorns to flee into the deadly traps. Additionally, special "gnome" cards let you meddle with the unicorns and other players.

On the whole, I was very pleased with this game. The game mechanics were simple enough that a child could grasp them, yet strategic enough that an adult would not be bored. (Our game resulted in several, "I can't believe I didn't see that!" moments.) The goofy theme is also fairly child-friendly, while also being amusing for older players. This is one I will be sure to pick up when their Kickstarter campaign begins!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morning Players
France
Toulouse
flag msg tools
publisher
Hello Daniel

Glad you liked the demo at our GenCon Booth and thanks for the nice feedback. Like you said we are still working on the game mechanism, but be sure that we will keep several elements of Gameplay in order for "Kill The Unicorns" to stay accessible, strategic and a little bit goofy

We will keep you updated through our website and Facebook page of the game advancement.

https://morning-family.com/
https://www.facebook.com/MorningPlayers/

Simon
Morning Family

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Minidragon
msg tools
I also played this at Gencon 2016. It is easy to grasp but offers some depth in planning out your unicorn destroying chain reactions. Play can be fast or slow (depending on players) - I wonder if a the addition of time would be worthwhile? Overall I thought this was a fun, lighthearted game that has great replay potential.

I'm looking forward to seeing the fleshed out version and will very likely back the kickstarter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.