Support:

Ian Finn
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
Sunken warplane
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys, I'm just learning this game. I've read the rules once and I am now working my way through the Battle of Sumy tutorial in the Playbook. I'm wondering if the tutorial is wrong, or am I simply not understanding something.

On p.18 of the KtR Playbook (under “Other movement:”, first paragraph) the author places the Soviet 2/4 Guards Rocket unit (which has an orange MA) on its starting hex during the Soviet Motorized Movement Phase and then moves that unit in the same phase. I think that should be illegal because orange-MA units are only allowed to move in the (regular) Movement Phase. I do see, however, that the placement hex for the Guards Rocket is within 4 hexes of a Soviet HQ, and the HQ is allowed to activate “one Guards unit” (RB 22.41 Soviet Guards) to allow it to move in the Motorized Movement Phase. The tutorial doesn’t say this is what happened, so either a) the author forgot to mention the HQ activation (which would be strange considering it is a tutorial), or b) the author blew it and moved the Guards Rocket unit in the wrong phase, or c) I misunderstand something in the rules.

Can any of you veterans tell me which it is? And if it's c) what am I getting wrong?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
10.3 g:

Quote:
g. Reinforcements. All Soviet (except for UR/MG units) and Axis
reinforcements enter the map and move during their respective
friendly Movement phases. Soviet and Axis non-motorized, orange
MA and green MA combat units, MSUs, and Supply Dumps
can only enter during their respective Movement phases.

Since Soviet orange units can only move in the movement phase (not motorized movement), the arty unit should not have entered and moved until after combat.

In reality, it made no difference in the example, as it wasn't involved in combat.

(The eastern front games often have small errors in the examples, the one in AGN had to be completely rewritten in the errata due to so many errors!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Finn
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
Sunken warplane
mbmbmbmbmb
Darrell, thanks for the reply and the warning about mistakes in the examples. It makes me wonder if similar mistakes are in the rules themselves. Have you found the EFS ruleset to play smoothly once it becomes familiar? Or are there ambiguities and unclearness that require constant nose-poking into the rulebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are pretty solid now in their latest version. The errors in the AGN tutorial was a file mixup, apparently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.