Subject: Mythos Event referencing Eliminated Investigator? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This hasn't happened to us yet, but it occurred to me that the app could potentially generate a Mythos Event for an investigator who was eliminated earlier in the same round, since it knows nothing about that until you select the appropriate option & end the game after the next Investigator Phase.

I assume you'd just have to ignore it and continue, with the end being nigh regardless!

To be fair, I don't see how else it could be handled without the app demanding lots more info from the players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horner
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pudsy wrote:
This hasn't happened to us yet, but it occurred to me that the app could potentially generate a Mythos Event for an investigator who was eliminated earlier in the same round, since it knows nothing about that until you select the appropriate option & end the game after the next Investigator Phase.

I assume you'd just have to ignore it and continue, with the end being nigh regardless!

To be fair, I don't see how else it could be handled without the app demanding lots more info from the players.

Yes, I agree that could happen. Seems like your solution is the best you can do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shouldn't the game end before that?

Oh I guess if they get eliminated in the player phase. hm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horner
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:

Not just that. If an investigator is eliminated, the other investigators get one more turn to complete the investigation. If the investigation is not complete by the end of the NEXT investigator phase, they lose the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jlhorner1974 wrote:
lfisher wrote:

Not just that. If an investigator is eliminated, the other investigators get one more turn to complete the investigation. If the investigation is not complete by the end of the NEXT investigator phase, they lose the game.

Yeah I think we are saying the same thing here. In many cases they'll be elminated in mythos phase so there wouldn't be another mythos phase (just a final investigator phase).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
Yeah I think we are saying the same thing here. In many cases they'll be elminated in mythos phase so there wouldn't be another mythos phase (just a final investigator phase).

Yeah, you're probably right there...

Unless an investigator is completely trapped by Fire (and fails to Extinguish the one on their space with both actions?), or if there's a really bad outcome to some Explore/similar action which causes Damage during their own phase.

Or maybe they just perform some really heroic final act, knowing they will meet their death (running into Fire or similar), but that the other investigators will succeed before the end of their next phase!

Rare though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pudsy wrote:
lfisher wrote:

Yeah, you're probably right there...

Unless an investigator is completely trapped by Fire (and fails to Extinguish the one on their space with both actions?), or if there's a really bad outcome to some Explore/similar action which causes Damage during their own phase.

Or maybe they just perform some really heroic final act, knowing they will meet their death (running into Fire or similar), but that the other investigators will succeed before the end of their next phase!

Rare though!

Or they fail to evade, or cast spell which kills them or...
Not so rare to die in player's phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Harlan

Oregon
msg tools
mb
Pudsy wrote:

I tested this in app (was hoping the eliminate button asked which investigator) and the app instructs end game at the end of the current investigators' turn. I assume it figures you died during mythos? Need to reread rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horner
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about this more, and I'm wondering if the app can't do a better job than it does.

Seems like you could tell it that Ashcan was eliminated and the app would not try to generate mythos effect for him. (The app could show a list of players that you could click on to toggle them as eliminated, similar to the player select screen.) Then at the beginning of the next investigator phase, the app could serve you a reminder that the game will end if the investigation is not complete at the end of this phase. Then it could just go right into the ending at the end of the phase.

I don't think this would be a huge amount of work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jlhorner1974 wrote:
I was thinking about this more, and I'm wondering if the app can't do a better job than it does.

Seems like you could tell it that Ashcan was eliminated and the app would not try to generate mythos effect for him. (The app could show a list of players that you could click on to toggle them as eliminated, similar to the player select screen.) Then at the beginning of the next investigator phase, the app could serve you a reminder that the game will end if the investigation is not complete at the end of this phase. Then it could just go right into the ending at the end of the phase.

I don't think this would be a huge amount of work.

Good point, it already knows which investigators are playing. So a simple list of them (for you to select one) would just be one more dialog as part of the "Investigator Killed" process (which you'd have to do immediately, rather than waiting till the following turn). And it wouldn't be any extra hassle during play for the app or the players.

I still don't really know how often this situation is likely to come up, but I can't see any reason not to do that. Wouldn't be too much effort to avoid doling out Mythos events for dead investigator(s), given such a feature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horner
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I brought this to FFG's attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't it entirely feasible that a malign force randomly picks the dead guy to torment?

Ignore it, take your final turn and try again (or revel in a posthumous victory).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horner
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Isn't it entirely feasible that a malign force randomly picks the dead guy to torment?

Ignore it, take your final turn and try again (or revel in a posthumous victory).

It's possible, but not usually how the mythos works. Once you're dead, it tends to lose interest in you.

Ironically, playing this way is actually helpful to the investigators because if the app rejected mythos effects that do not work for eliminated investigators, it may cause a mythos effect to whiff when it could target someone else that is near death. Of course, this would only work with mythos effects that specifically name that investigator. Mythos effects that target, say, "the Investigator in an outdoor space with the lowest Agility" or "all Investigators in Darkness" cannot effect an eliminated Investigator, because his or her figure is removed from the board when eliminated (RR, p.8).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.