Captain Sonar» Forums » Rules

Subject: Activating Silence question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the following correct: After you activate silence you move 0-4 spaces. The first mate marks an empty space and the engineer crosses out one symbol.

First mate and engineer only do this once and not equal to the amount of spaces you move with the Activating Silence action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We also understood that you do it once. Note that you mist move in a straigt line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Stansfield
Austria
Lower Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the rule book is very clear in that case.
The First Mate marks ONE empty space of a gauge of his choice and the Engineer crosses out ONE symbol corresponding to the indicated direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WHAT if they move 0-spaces????

Is nothing marked?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingD21 wrote:

Is nothing marked?

The captain announces a direction going 0-4 spaces. The engineer and first mate do their stuff, even if the captain does not move, infact, the engineer and first mate don't need to know how far the captain moves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Conus
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexendoktor wrote:
KingD21 wrote:

Is nothing marked?

The captain announces a direction going 0-4 spaces. The engineer and first mate do their stuff, even if the captain does not move, infact, the engineer and first mate don't need to know how far the captain moves.

That is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So using the silence...you must declare (secretly to your team behind the screen) the direction even at 0. Interesting. Good to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Stansfield
Austria
Lower Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingD21 wrote:
So using the silence...you must declare (secretly to your team behind the screen) the direction even at 0. Interesting. Good to know.

The more I read the rulebook the less I believe that it is allowed to “move” a sub zero spaces. The paragraph on page 7 (Activating Silence) reads “He (the Captain) can move the submarine up to four spaces in a straight line…” Taking into account the paragraph on page 2 (Announcing a course) with the wording “The Captain can move his submarine one space at a time” I guess it is not possible to “move" a sub without moving it less than one space. Otherwise both the First Mate and the Engineer would not be allowed to cross out symbols on their player sheets.

----------
Addendum: A closer look on the First Mate Functions sheet makes it clear. There are four spaces highlighted below the Silence gauge. The first space highlighted is one space away from the current position of the submarine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Conus
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I just checked and now I understand why the confusion. There is actually an imprecision in the english rules. The french rules clearly say that the silence allows for 0 to 4 movements and that the captain indicates to his teammates ONE direction.

This will be rewritten in the english rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Stansfield
Austria
Lower Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FabienC wrote:
There is actually an imprecision in the english rules.

Gosh! Again and again, problems with translations and critical errors by mistranslations of rulebooks! This is tiring!

Now the nitpicker in me is a little challenged whistle: If a “move” of zero spaces is allowed than the pictogram below the Silence gauge is simply wrong – in this pictogram the spaces “sub +1”, “sub +2”, “sub +3” and “sub +4” are highlighted. I cannot see that the space is highlighted where the submarine is currently in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Conus
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jumpwalker wrote:
FabienC wrote:
There is actually an imprecision in the english rules.

Gosh! Again and again, problems with translations and critical errors by mistranslations of rulebooks! This is tiring!

I understand you concern, and I wish it were better. The designer's native language is French. We must therefore work with the french rules as the base rules.

jumpwalker wrote:
Now the nitpicker in me is a little challenged whistle: If a “move” of zero spaces is allowed than the pictogram below the Silence gauge is simply wrong – in this pictogram the spaces “sub +1”, “sub +2”, “sub +3” and “sub +4” are highlighted. I cannot see that the space is highlighted where the submarine is currently in.

You make a good point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Conus
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FabienC wrote:
Hi all,

I just checked and now I understand why the confusion. There is actually an imprecision in the english rules. The french rules clearly say that the silence allows for 0 to 4 movements and that the captain indicates to his teammates ONE direction.

This will be rewritten in the english rules.

As a precision, if you decide not to move with the Silence system, you would indicate this to your teammates by making an O with your fingers. The engineer would therefore not cross any breakdowns and the first mate would not load any gauge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The rules in this game are changing fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Stansfield
Austria
Lower Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexendoktor wrote:

The game is so good that it will withstand even the fastest changes.
Still: A rulebook should not only be a recommendation.
The game is very suitable for house rules by the way. So the "move zero spaces movement" does not apply to me (mostly... whistle)

What a game!!! It contains the essence of "Space Cadets: Dice Duel" and "They Come Unseen" - two blazing bright highlights in this genre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Conus
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexendoktor wrote:

They are more precisions than changes. Except for the Silence move of 0 which is a weak translation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
frank chang
Taiwan
flag msg tools
FabienC wrote:

If you decide not to move with the Silence system, you would indicate this to your teammates by making an O with your fingers. The engineer would therefore not cross any breakdowns and the first mate would not load any gauge.

Really don't like this rule, it seems like unnecessary complexity for the situation.

I'm gonna house rule on this, either #1 or #2.
(1) Silence can move 1~4 spaces. The engineer and first mate would mark the appropriate spaces.
(2) Silence can move 0~4 spaces. The engineer and first mate do not mark any spaces.

#2 seems to be the simpler choice, but I'm not sure if there's a drawback. Need to run more games to test.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rock lobster
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I would also like to point out that we don't know the SCALE of the MAP(s), so while SILENT and STALLING(move order) appear to allow a ship to move 0 spaces, it does not mean the ship has stopped (isn't moving). Ships at sea are always moving.

The SILENT 0-Space(s) is just the absolute MOST silent of runnings. It would be wise to avoid calling this a STOP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Lechner
msg tools
Playing tomorrow, curious to see what your outcome was if you house ruled this. Not sure how I feel about being able to move 0 spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.