Hide
7 Posts

Mechwarrior: Dark Age» Forums » General

Subject: Strong melee based mechs? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Barnett
msg tools
Self explanatory, getting into this game and things are cheap on ebay. Looking for any strong melee based mechs. While I'm at it, can someone tell me approximate averages for stats on mechs? Like if you look at Mage Knight (I'm sure there's several of you players here), at least on old figures 15 defense would be fairly average, 8 speed was about average, etc. So what would be kind of the low, average, high, and max stats?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Millard
United States
St Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zero17 wrote:
Self explanatory, getting into this game ... So what would be kind of the low, average, high, and max stats?

Check stats for individual units here: http://www.warrenborn.com/MWDA.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Barnett
msg tools
Is there a way to figure out the averages for stats? I'm finding the stronger figures now thanks to that site but still don't really know what would be considered average.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Millard
United States
St Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zero17 wrote:
Is there a way to figure out the averages for stats? I'm finding the stronger figures now thanks to that site but still don't really know what would be considered average.

If you are talking about an average of all published units that is one thing; but are you meaning of the units you could reasonably expect to get?

Those would vary, as some sets are harder to get pieces from than others.

Not knowing what / how you got into MW, I don't know how to answer. If you are just in it to play a bit, test it out, etc., then get some cheap individual pieces off of one of the better websites, or eBay [but beware: most people are crappy figure packagers soblue ].

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Barnett
msg tools
Yeah, I'd say average of all published units. Again referring to mage knight as an example-regardless of the difficulty of acquiring any given figure, 15 defense was pretty much "average"-not bad, not good. 16 was decent, 17-18 was solid. 19+ was pretty rare and very powerful. 8 was average attack-given that you were using 2d6 for your attack rolls, 7 was your overall average roll. 8 was fairly average speed, so a unit with 8 speed and attack and 15 defense would have nothing of significance (unless it had some good special ability combo, but I'm talking strictly numbers here) but wouldn't be "bad" per se in any given stat.

I actually have somewhat of a collection of MW that I bought probably 2 years ago but never got going with, but felt an itch recently to open it up and start playing. Naturally with that I wanted to buy some good lead figures, and I've always been a sucker for melee hence my original questions. Not going to be doing anything competitive, so I'm asking for these numbers as a reference-at a glance when looking at the starting dial of a given mech so I know how strong it really is-I'm not familiar with the potential range of attack, as an example-is 10 high? Average? Bad?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a while since I played, but if I recall correctly, an attack of 9 or 10 was pretty good with 11 or 12 being excellent.

A defense of 19 was pretty good, and anything in the 20s was really good.

Attack rolls used three dice instead of two like in Mage Knight or HeroClix, so the statistical "average" roll was a little bit higher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Barnett
msg tools
Awesome! Thanks for that....do you also know for speed and health? I know from looking at the dial they can have up to 17 HP, so I'm guessing around 11-13 is probably average.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.