Subject: Two questions after 1st hour of play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Schneider
United States
Cos Cob
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with answers to these questions!

1. When doing my first Horror check, I drew Minor Shock which basically said there was no effect and flip the card facedown. Afterwards, every time I got another Horror that instructed me to flip one of my facedown Horror cards face-up and resolve it, I flipped the Minor Shock because I knew it wouldn't affect me.

Am I playing this correctly? It seemed as if I was cheating in some way, using the Minor Shock to avoid having to flip over any other horror card including cards I drew that had to be drawn and kept facedown as opposed to drawing face-up.

2. Is it general practice that everyone follows the rule that says that every time you have to discard a damage or horror card, you have to reshuffle it back into the deck? After a while, all that shuffling became tiresome. Is it really such a big deal to simply keep a discard pile for both the horror and damage decks? It seemed to me there were plenty of cards in each deck to avoid any balance issues, especially when playing with only 2 investigators.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schnel wrote:
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with answers to these questions!

1. When doing my first Horror check, I drew Minor Shock which basically said there was no effect and flip the card facedown. Afterwards, every time I got another Horror that instructed me to flip one of my facedown Horror cards face-up and resolve it, I flipped the Minor Shock because I knew it wouldn't affect me.

Am I playing this correctly? It seemed as if I was cheating in some way, using the Minor Shock to avoid having to flip over any other horror card including cards I drew that had to be drawn and kept facedown as opposed to drawing face-up.

2. Is it general practice that everyone follows the rule that says that every time you have to discard a damage or horror card, you have to reshuffle it back into the deck? After a while, all that shuffling became tiresome. Is it really such a big deal to simply keep a discard pile for both the horror and damage decks? It seemed to me there were plenty of cards in each deck to avoid any balance issues, especially when playing with only 2 investigators.

Thanks again.

1) Any time you flip a Horror or Damage face up, you shuffle all of them and pick one at random. If you only have one, great. If you have several, you can't cherry pick the good one.

2) It's less impactful at lower player counts, but I still shuffle. I definitely want the "no effect" cards in the deck and if I'm shuffling those in, it's cheating to not shuffle in the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Cos Cob
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Thank you for clarifying that. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
1) Any time you flip a Horror or Damage face up, you shuffle all of them and pick one at random.

Can you write where you have read this rule? I did not find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Christensen
United States
SLC
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 7 of the reference under "Damage & Horror" (Second bullet point):
"When an effect instructs an investigator to flip one or more Damage or Horror faceup, he selects those cards at random from among all of his facedown Damage or Horror."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ericdrum wrote:
Page 7 of the reference under "Damage & Horror" (Second bullet point):
"When an effect instructs an investigator to flip one or more Damage or Horror faceup, he selects those cards at random from among all of his facedown Damage or Horror."

Thank you. I searched briefly under fliping and there was writen about horror and damage but not about random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.