9 Posts

Whistling Death» Forums » Rules

Subject: I'm not sure if I understand turns at higher speeds rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blayne Bradley
Canada
flag msg tools
At Speed 10.0 - 10.5 an "EZ" turn takes 18 FP's turn 30 degrees? Isn't the A/C obviously traveling less than the 18? Say 10? Do you spend the 10 and just not turn (but keep going straight?) for that distance and THEN you get the turn by spending the remaining 8 on the second turn in which you're initiating the turn? Or can you just not do an easy turn at all? It's confusing because in 2.6 it says that an EZ turn is allowed at any speed >= the A/C's minimum level speed so how does it work?

2.7 says "Once sufficient FP's are expended over one or more game turns, the A/C's facing may be changed...."

I'm assuming the aircraft cant just stay still when turning, does the plane still go forward over as many FP's?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Lund
Denmark
Århus
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
Yes, Beware the Geek bringing gifts!
mbmbmbmbmb
When making a turn where the requirement is more than the current speed, you "carry the turn" into the next game turn, noting how many FPs you have spent, until you have satisfied the requirement.

You can do an EZ turn at any speed over minimum, it just might take a while to get it done

Unlike other hex-based wargames you have to use all your FPs - the can be a combination of Horizontal and Vertical FPs (HFP/VFP) depending on the aircraft's attitude - also: don't forget to bank into the turn

Hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blayne Bradley
Canada
flag msg tools
Okay so, is this the procedure?

Assuming the aircraft's current speed is 10.0, and I want to do a 30 degree EZ turn left. (This exact scenario seems unlikely but a very important edge case I want to make sure I understand)

1. In the Power versus Speed chart suppose at 10.0+ Speed it costs 8 FP's to change my Banking angle, so I spend 8 to bank the plane left and I have 2 left over.

2. I spend 2 FP's to move Horizontally two hexes while keeping track of what I need to make a left turn? So 16/18 FP's remaining?

3. Next turn assuming my speed is still 10, now that I'm banked left I go forward another 10 spaces, 6/18 FP's remaining?

4. Still moving at Speed 10, I move 6 spaces horizontally, change my facing by 30 degrees to the left, and then move another 4 spaces horizontally.

Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks correct, assuming no other factors in play.

A couple of things to note:

The decel for the turn is paid the instant the turn is commenced. So during the game-turn when you finished the bank and started the turn, you'd have to pay the decel points for an EZ turn. The decel points required for turns are in parens at the top of the column of each turn type. EZ decel cost is half that of TT turns.

The aircraft log has a "carry" row for recording turn carries. The notation is of the form: FPs expended in turn, turn rate, and direction. So, "2EZL" means you spent 2 FPs in an EZ Turn to the left.

The aircraft is turning the whole time, but less than 30-degrees. Hence, all things related to being in a turn, such as the field of fire, apply while your aircraft is carrying its 18 FP turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, you can "carry" just about any maneuver from game-turn to game-turn. You just announce when you begin that maneuver, and note how many FPs have been expended toward that maneuver by the end of the game-turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blayne Bradley
Canada
flag msg tools
Cool and thanks! I didn't mention accel/decel to keep it simple.

Another question, what else does "Banking" affect aside from being required for left/right turns? When I complete by turn "must" I bank back to level flight? What happens if I stay left banked?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Boeser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
Banking affects slips and skids. While you can slip either direction if wings level, you can only slip in the direction of bank if in an upright left or right bank and can only skid opposite the direction of an upright bank. There is no penalty for carrying a bank, other than the need to roll back to level or inverted before reversing your bank. Also bank angle affects the direction of a vertical reverse.

Greg Boeser

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blayne Bradley
Canada
flag msg tools
gozerius wrote:
Banking affects slips and skids. While you can slip either direction if wings level, you can only slip in the direction of bank if in an upright left or right bank and can only skid opposite the direction of an upright bank. There is no penalty for carrying a bank, other than the need to roll back to level or inverted before reversing your bank. Also bank angle affects the direction of a vertical reverse.

Greg Boeser

Thanks!

I just realized something as well, suppose I pay say 2 FP to bank left, does this affect where I should look in the A/C turn chart for seeing if I meet the cost of a Turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Boeser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
FPs used for banking from level or inverted to a turning bank may not be used for turning FPs. FPs used to bank from an upright turning bank to an inverted bank in the same direction (LB to IL, or RB to IR), or vice versa (IL to LB, or IR to RB) can be used to meet your turning requirement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.