Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: I don't like the puzzles as much as 1.0. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew McCormick
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I've been trying to solve this symbol puzzle for like 15 minutes! Having some problems figuring out what symbols are in the correct place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it the green-ish slide one? We figured it out by looking for "corners".

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he means the code puzzle. It can be tricky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Fuqua
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm guessing you're talking about the puzzle that's like the game Mastermind. It's a tricky deduction puzzle. Have you read how the puzzle works in the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that puzzle was instantly recognisable as Mastermind

I didn't own MoM 1st Edition, but I'm sure I saw mention of it prohibiting other players helping the active investigator while they work on a puzzle...? I didn't notice any similar rules in the 2nd Edition (or did I miss something?)

For the app, we started by using a tablet & passing it round, sharing reading, etc. With that approach, when a puzzle comes up, it would be easy for one person to do it alone without "suggestions"/interference/whatever you might call it!

But now we've tried it, we prefer putting the app up on a big screen. But when a puzzle appears, this obviously means all players can see it clearly.

Since puzzles can be revisited by other investigator if they're not completed in one go, I don't see a problem with that too much. If they see the solution (and possibly know how many moves it will take) they can even plan their next action(s) accordingly. But calling out tips/solutions is a bit different.

I just wondered how other people are handling this... do you restrict other players from giving hints to the active investigator during puzzles?

I guess they're fairly classic puzzles... so they're unlikely to hold much novelty or mystery for very long, particularly for those who have seen them before in various forms over the years! It'll be interesting to see if FFG extend or add to the puzzle variety with future scenarios & updates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
"Professor Layton and the Mansions of Madness".... I'd play it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Bellmore
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've actually sent FFG an email asking (among other things) if they intend to put the 1e puzzles in. I doubt they would but since I was emailing them, it didn't hurt to ask. No response as of yet, but one can dream.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICE 0ne
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really liked the 1e puzzles, so I'm hoping they get included again at some point. I actually like the mastermind puzzle the most out of the 3 included types since it's the most challenging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
I really hate the puzzles, they just drag the game to a halt. Really wish the app would let you skip them as I did in 1st ed. Just do a check of some kind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
shadowsclassic wrote:
I really hate the puzzles, they just drag the game to a halt. Really wish the app would let you skip them as I did in 1st ed. Just do a check of some kind.

This was one of the most jarring aspects of the game. Took you right out of the theme as the game ground to a halt. Never understood what the heck shuffling geometric shapes around had to do with anything, would have loved some sort of check instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
This was one of the most jarring aspects of the game. Took you right out of the theme as the game ground to a halt. Never understood what the heck shuffling geometric shapes around had to do with anything, would have loved some sort of check instead.

You encounter a sliding pieces puzzle. Test Observation (difficulty 3). If you pass you manage to solve the puzzle. If you fail, the pieces jumble into a horrific shape, suffer one Horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.