25.7% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Ron
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Boost portion of the normal Dive card allows you to discard a Boost in play (including an opponent's I assume) for the cost of 0 Force. Doesn't this basically hose all higher cost Continuous Boosts? It mandates that, before playing a Continuous Boost of cost X, a player has to consider the chance their opponent has a Dive in hand, since seeing it would completely negate their Boost AND produce an X card swing for their opponent?

And they don't even need to be hit! It just works. From anywhere.

Full disclosure, I haven't actually played the game yet, but from reading through the cards this seems swingy and mechanically odd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has the potential to, certainly. However, there are a few factors to consider that keep it from being cut and dry:

1) Swing Away: If you notice that the opponent has built up a number of important Ongoing Boosts at once, you can initiate a Strike with an attack you're fairly certain they will Miss with. This forces them to discard all of their Boosts, not just the one of your choice, for only 1 card more in cost.

2) Opportunity Cost: Dive is one of the few cards in the game that has a built-in movement effect, which makes it enormously useful in closing gaps during a Strike. In order to replicate the effect, you need to spend 1-2 Force to move, then the opponent has a chance to react before you can capitalize on the movement.

3) Please reconsider: Perhaps the least convincing argument for it is exactly the one you point out - it makes your opponent reconsider using those big, expensive Ultras for their generally powerful Boost abilities. It also helps keep the game from stalling out as both players are afraid to Strike due to both of them having too powerful of an attack for the other to risk initiating a Strike.

That's not to say if it's actually balanced or not, but some more things to consider when figuring out if it is or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of things to remember.

1) Dive is one of the counter moves to Spike, Sweep and Focus (or any slow hard hitting moves). If you use your Dive cards for their boost effect then you are giving your opponent permission to swing with their high damage attacks.

2) It still costs an action to use, giving your opponent the chance to take the lead again.

3) There are heaps of boosts, one on every card, but there are only 2 of Dive. You may cancel one boost only for your opponent to play another in its stead.

4) Some characters like Gabrek need Dive to close the distance without limiting their hand.

In summary, while it is a powerful effect you will not use it all the time. It has great utility but is not overpowered in my opinion.

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Some good points, thanks for the responses. For what it's worth I was mainly worried about Heidi, with her expensive Boosts. But after reading more into her kit, I see she has several ways to reduce or even completely void the cost of Boosts, so Dive probably won't hose her as much as I expected it would (still haven't played her).

Also, now that I have 5 or 6 games under my belt, I appreciate Tech's place in the game as a way to relieve pressure from Boosts when you may not otherwise have the correct hand to deal with them. It was never used in any of my games, mostly because Dive itself is a great long-range option, but also because Tech-ing 1 or even 2 cost Continuous Boosts is not usually that much of an attractive option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.