9 Posts

Giga-Robo!» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about Bullet Buffet! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oblivion Doll
New Zealand
flag msg tools
So, I've just been thinking about this after sharing my first Ascalon build, and I was wondering...

The wording for Bullet Buffet! doesn't specify "2 different targets within range", so I just have to check - can you target the same enemy twice with this attack? I'd be inclined to assume not, but I'm not confident and if it can be used to double-up against an enemy, that would make it even more useful than I first thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rock Bronson

Kansas City
Kansas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can't target the same unit twice, it might me worth changing the wording to be more explicit. I would certainly interpret that as meaning you could legally do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Hammerschlag
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now you're just getting greedy robot

You can't choose something as a target twice as that's redundant. Page 5 of the manual indicates a target is a robot, structure or barrier. The text says "choose 2 targets within range" meaning you have to choose two robots, structures or barriers - or any combination, but it must be exactly two or else you cannot play the card.

We could further clarify a target can only be considered a target once per attack but that seems cluttered - hopefully the Target definition in the Attack section on Page 5 helps. Let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oblivion Doll
New Zealand
flag msg tools
schlagamuffin wrote:
Now you're just getting greedy robot

You can't choose something as a target twice as that's redundant. Page 5 of the manual indicates a target is a robot, structure or barrier. The text says "choose 2 targets within range" meaning you have to choose two robots, structures or barriers - or any combination, but it must be exactly two or else you cannot play the card.

We could further clarify a target can only be considered a target once per attack but that seems cluttered - hopefully the Target definition in the Attack section on Page 5 helps. Let me know.

It might be good to make the wording on that card read "2 different targets" to avoid confusion. It could very easily be taken that way. I was working on the assumption that the 2 targets would have to be different, but it isn't clear with the current wording. And it's more in the specific wording of the card than the core rules, in my view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Hammerschlag
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If we do that we'll change wording on all the cards that specify multiple targets can be chosen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oblivion Doll
New Zealand
flag msg tools
There aren't a lot of cards which attack multiple targets, are there? I haven't noticed it as a common thing. In that case, it might work better for a note to be added in the rulebook - less changes is better.

"If a card can affect multiple targets, it must hit that many different targets, unless otherwise specified" sounds good to me?

Also might be good to have a ruling for what happens if you don't have enough targets in range? Can you no longer use that attack? Or...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Hammerschlag
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are additional costs listed on the spread sheet, so if they're not satisfied then the card cannot be played.

On page 8 of manual on card break down there is the section that says:

Rules Text: The effects that will occur if the card is used successfully appear here. If applicable, all requirements for using the card appear
in italics
. If the card is an Ultimate Technique, it will be labeled as such beneath the card’s name.

Sort of lost in translation to the spread sheet (as the pick 2 target text line would be italicized on the card), but you will have to satisfy picking 2 targets to play the particular card we're discussing. I think adding a few words to the definition of "target" on page 5 will suffice to clarify that: if you have to pick X targets to do something, you can't just pick 1 target X times to fulfill the requirement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oblivion Doll
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Have I mentioned lately that you guys are awesome?

Because you are!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Hammerschlag
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
modestrobot

We would be nothing without your support and the support from the other 1003.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.