Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Swinkels
Belgium
Diest-Webbekom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In another thread, I read:

Dameofhearts wrote:

During a battle players can play artefacts with its own battle strength (weapons and horses) as well as transformation artefacts (amulets, titles and magical scrolls), but they cannot play tools or tent cards.

But are you allowed to use "The Hand of Luut" Great Artefact during a combat? The Hammer of Strato? Crown of Titus? (some of these are a kind of transformation artefact, others are not...)

This question came up during our play, and we were not sure, so we did not allow it...

There are other Great Artefacts you can use, like the Sword of Elemag and the Shield of Britos, because they are Weapons.

UPDATE:

Since there was no reply yet to my question (they are probably busy with the expansion kickstarter I guess), I thought I would make a simple overview and my opinion in each case:

May be played in battle?
Artifact Official Rules My Opinion

Hammer of Strato No
Horn of Baldur ? No ( ? )
Sword of Elemag Yes
Shield of Britos Yes
Wings of Aviena ? No ( = movement action)
Crown of Titus ? Yes ( = transformation artifact)
Hand of Luut ? No ( ? )
Pavilion of Eyla ? No ( = Tent )
Staff of Terra ? Yes ( ? )
Book of Crea ? Yes ( = transformation artifact)

Anyone care to comment?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandar Guerov
Bulgaria
Sofia
Sofia-city
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Sorry for not answering Patrick, we are overwhelmed with work around the upcoming campaign.... I hope you understand and thank you for that !
We will go through all threads later... Now just a quick answer to your questions:

May GA be played in battle?

Artifact Official Rules & Why

Hammer of Strato - No - This is its own limitation, it's a powerful tool for creation, not for destroy... This is the nature of this GA, it was crafted in ancient time to help people building up something, not to fight with it .
Horn of Baldur - Yes - always very useful
Sword of Elemag - Yes - obvious main purpose
Shield of Britos - Yes - obvious main purpose
Wings of Aviena - Yes - for retreat only, there is no other use for it during battle
Crown of Titus - Yes - always very useful
Hand of Luut - Yes - always very useful
Book of Crea - Yes - always very useful
Pavilion of Eyla - N/A - but you can take cards out of it during combat)
Staff of Terra - N/A - maybe directly before battle, to make use of the terrain bonus for example, but not during, because this is a completely other action and has no place in a battle line...

Actually what Dameofhearts said in this another thread concerns the standard artefacts and their general use during battle. You do not have to follow rules like - transformation or no transformation, to decide...
GA are not like artefacts, they are special category and partially follow their own logic. Only the repeated word artefact should not confuse you. They are mighty items with different specific effects and if the general rules are not forbidding explicit something and it makes sense to you, normally you will be also allowed to do it. Otherwise we would mention it (I hope we did not missed or forgot something important ) But anyway not every effect makes really sense in every situation (like battles for example) no matter the fact that nothing forbids it in general - the case with the Staff and the Pavilion.

With other words, their use is always allowed, if specific rule is not forbidding it explicit, like in the case of Hammer of Strato - the problem there is hidden in its nature itself, not in the ruling ...

The only thing what is always applicable is the general rule (but this is said in the rule book):
The Great Artefacts do not collaborate with each other or you cannot apply the effects of normal artefacts on them. They are too powerful and are more or less like stand alone mighty items, which can be combined with other cards only in one direction - using their own effects.

Again with other words, you cannot use the effect of an amulet to double virtually any GA.... or you cannot steal another GA from opponents draw deck, using the Hand of Luut for example, because this would mean to apply the effect of one GA to another GA. But you can put a weapon (or another normal artefact) in the Pavilion of Eyla, since this is its main function/effect....

I hope I didn't confused you too much with this long explanation and it was helpful!

Greetings, Alex!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Swinkels
Belgium
Diest-Webbekom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a ton for the response Alex!

And lots of success with the upcoming campaign!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandar Guerov
Bulgaria
Sofia
Sofia-city
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
You are welcome ! Hope to see you soon on the campaign !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.