36.2% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Torsten Oppermann
Germany
Kaiserslautern
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After getting a cheap used copy of Storms of Steel, i decided i want to invest in this great series.

So now i got AtB 2nd Edition, the Solo Expansion and the Firefight Generator shrinked in front of me

Since i most likely will play almost exlusively solo, how would you suggest i get the most fun out of this ?

I played the SoS Scenarios solo to get a grasp of the rules. Loved the game, the only think i disliked was the balkas and the hidden unit mechanics (for solo that is)...

Should i playthrough the base game scenarios first before picking up the solo system, since im still shaky on the rules ?

If so, should i play both sides as if they were players or should i use some kind of variant ?

Thank you !

PS: Thanks Uwe for this great game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
coobe wrote:
Should i playthrough the base game scenarios first before picking up the solo system, since im still shaky on the rules ?

If so, should i play both sides as if they were players or should i use some kind of variant ?

I would play the first few scenarios of the base game, soloing both sides, if you feel shaky on the rules, before moving on to using the Solitaire module (which will probably feel like a sudden increase in confusing complexity due to the additional rules for dealing with the AI opponent: be prepared to do some reading in the solo module's rules forum, and be sure to download the latest PDFs from AG's website.) (That said, it is certainly worth spending that time and effort to play the solo module! It is clever and fun.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
coobe wrote:

I would play the first few scenarios of the base game, soloing both sides, if you feel shaky on the rules, before moving on to using the Solitaire module (which will probably feel like a sudden increase in confusing complexity due to the additional rules for dealing with the AI opponent: be prepared to do some reading in the solo module's rules forum, and be sure to download the latest PDFs from AG's website.) (That said, it is certainly worth spending that time and effort to play the solo module! It is clever and fun.)

Thanks for this advice. I'm still learning the rules for AtB!, and also have both the AtB! expansions, and Price of Honour (all un-played as of writing).

I was also wondering if I should go "all-in" with the solo expansion or wait until I'm a lot more familiar with the normal rules.

In preparation for this I have been using the "Unit Spent Check Tokens" posted by Ones Upon A Game, as these add the basic element of the Solo rules Spent Check method without over complicating the basic gameplay whilst learning to play both sides, as I often forgot whose turn I was meant to be playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Millar
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Russ has some great advice and I'd echo his recommendation. Play both sides in both scenarios before moving to the solo only. This is what I did and it helped me grasp the base game rules before tossing in the solo specific rules.

I absolutely love this game, both 1p and 2p and am glad to see others enjoy it as much as I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torsten Oppermann
Germany
Kaiserslautern
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the suggestions!
I played the first 2 Firefights, playing both sides with the variable AP and Cautious Movement Rule.

So far so great. Can´t wait to get some vehicles on the board
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.