5 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Rules

Subject: Source of lost ships rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
SpaghettiToastBook
msg tools
mbmb
When sending ships a player's choice to the warp, is there an implied rule that those ships must be from colonies? If not, which ships can't be chosen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have the exact wording of the card? I think it depends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
When someone loses ships of their choice to the warp, such as due to a failed attempt at a deal, the ships can come from their colonies or from the hyperspace gate. The general rule is that the lost ships must be ships that the player has "available" -- in other words, ships that have already been lost to the warp, captured, or removed from the game are not valid choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This is not my user name.
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ships can also be lost from researching Technology. Page 15, "Losing Researching Ships".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Well, you were right and I should have listened but I didn't and now here we are. So stop saying 'I told you so' and pass the calamine lotion.
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
Ships can also be lost from researching Technology. Page 15, "Losing Researching Ships".

I was always confused by the conflicting statements on that page and the Shadow example. So finally I just asked Kevin Wilson what the original design intent was. Basically, you can't remove ships from tech to "deploy" them in some useful way, such as to go to the hyperspace gate, give Bride a wedding ring, etc. But anybody can make them go lost/captured/removed from the game via an effect that is not limited in where the ships can come from.

So you can lose your researchers to pay for a failed deal or satisfy the Plague, for example. Or somebody can Ship Zap one or whatever. Shadow can't actually do it because his power limits itself to colonies, but anything without a similar restriction can get at researching ships if it's a "lost" kind of effect, rather than a useful deployment of some kind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.