Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Skeeve Yoshikawa
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

I picked up a very good copy of the 1st edition at the GenCon auction for $23.
I wanted this game before it was reprinted.
Now I'm having some buyers remorse,
since Fantasy Flight usually improves a game when they reprint it.
I'm hoping to get my group to try it soon. It looks like fun.
Should I forget my worries and just play the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mills
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just enjoy it. There weren't many changes between editions beyond aesthetics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
DJ Skeeve wrote:
Hello everyone,

I picked up a very good copy of the 1st edition at the GenCon auction for $23.
I wanted this game before it was reprinted.
Now I'm having some buyers remorse,
since Fantasy Flight usually improves a game when they reprint it.
I'm hoping to get my group to try it soon. It looks like fun.
Should I forget my worries and just play the game?

Forget your worries and just play the game
1st ed on its own was good enough to be in my personal Top 10 since I first tried it, for about 8 years now.

I think major differences included art (I prefer 1st ed art anyway, although 2nd ed is nice), some tweaks to the map, a moon base, and some minor cosmetic tweaks like counting down the character numbers instead of up, to be more thematically like a rocket countdown.

By the way, FFG doesn't always improve 2nd editions, see Nexus Ops for example. But M:RP, while 2nd ed seems nice, is perfectly fine in 1st ed form, still a masterpiece of a board game design and production...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The biggest thing is the Moon which acts as a landing point instead of the surface, then you can use the soldier to move from the moon to zones on Mars. It allows for a little more surprise take overs in areas on the surface. Also there are now action cards in the deck of cards the scientist can draw from. This is an improvement in my opinion as I always felt this character was weak because if you drew just discoveries you really weren't doing yourself any benefit. I think the deck of cards is more interesting now.

That being said, like Johnny Dollar commented I've been playing this game since it was first released and have loved it for years. I loved it so much in fact I saw purpose in having both editions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thoia wrote:
The biggest thing is the Moon which acts as a landing point instead of the surface, then you can use the soldier to move from the moon to zones on Mars. It allows for a little more surprise take overs in areas on the surface. Also there are now action cards in the deck of cards the scientist can draw from. This is an improvement in my opinion as I always felt this character was weak because if you drew just discoveries you really weren't doing yourself any benefit. I think the deck of cards is more interesting now.

That being said, like Johnny Dollar commented I've been playing this game since it was first released and have loved it for years. I loved it so much in fact I saw purpose in having both editions.
If you feel the 1st edition Scientist is underpowered, you can always consider some of the variants posted here on BGG. I don't know if it's here or on his own site, but the designer did make a suggestion to buff up the Scientist if you feel he's lacking (although he insists he's fine the way he is )

Other changes off the top of my head from 1st to 2nd:
--the colonists went from wooden discs to plastic minis.
The former feels nicer for those who enjoy wood (obviously), but they can roll off the table if you're not careful. Finding them can be a chore, let alone knowing that you're missing some to begin with

The latter some have said looks ugly. FWIW, each of them are different. It isn't just color ID-ing them... they actually could be distinguished by a color-blind person

--Countdown goes from 1 to 9, now goes 9 down to 1.
The latter I guess mimics a rocket countdown sequence

--the rocket ships align with the landing pads
Asthetics thing, but sometimes, "beauty is it's own reason for being"

--IIRC, the new edition is more compact
The boards are more modular, whereas in the 1st edition, Lost In Space and the planet were all printed on the same large board. in 2e, they're 2 separate boards, which makes it more flexible to transport.

--IIRC, new edition box is smaller?

FWIW, that's a pretty good price on 1e.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

The former feels nicer for those who enjoy wood (obviously), but they can roll off the table if you're not careful. Finding them can be a chore, let alone knowing that you're missing some to begin with

The latter some have said looks ugly. FWIW, each of them are different. It isn't just color ID-ing them... they actually could be distinguished by a color-blind person

The bolded part was news to me - I thought that was pretty cool, so I went to check out the differences - and I don't see any differences. Are you sure you're not thinking of a different game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game so much I'm thinking of getting 2nd ed in addition to holding onto 1st ed whistle

I just read a couple other differences that haven't been mentioned above, 2nd ed:

- Components for up to six players instead of five.

- Special two-player variant rules.

- In addition to the new action cards mentioned above, the discovery cards and mission cards are both revised.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skeeve Yoshikawa
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I REALLY can't wait to play it!
Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

The bolded part was news to me - I thought that was pretty cool, so I went to check out the differences - and I don't see any differences. Are you sure you're not thinking of a different game?

Probably was another game. Perhaps Scythe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
FWIW, each of them are different. It isn't just color ID-ing them... they actually could be distinguished by a color-blind person

Different miniatures would have been nice, but the game is from FFG, not Matagot.

Quote:
--IIRC, new edition box is smaller?

Actually, it's slightly larger, standard big square box. The first edition was the same size as 7 Wonders, Ghost Stories and Abyss, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.