Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Schipper
Australia
Aberfoyle Park
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi There,

I've been pondering a new deck that would use Sword-thain and our friend Gandalf. I understand that Sword-thain would only work on a ally that is associated with a sphere. What card would you recommend to use with to assign Gandalf a sphere to then use Sword-thain? Is it even possible?

Quote:
Sword-thain
Type: Attachment Sphere: Neutral
Attach to a unique ally belonging to any sphere of influence.
Attached character loses the ally card type and gains the hero card type.

Wouldn't Gandalf then function as a fourth hero and collect resources?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think any card currently existing can give an ally a sphere of influence. If such a card did exist and its effect wasn't conditional upon the target character being an ally, you would get Gandalf as a non-neutral hero, but I don't think such a card is likely to be created.

EDIT: Scratch all that. Narya can attach to any version of Gandalf and give him a Leadership icon. After that, a Sword-Thain can make him a Leadership hero and you can then play the various songs to give him any other color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mschipper wrote:
Hi There,

I've been pondering a new deck that would use Sword-thain and our friend Gandalf. I understand that Sword-thain would only work on a ally that is associated with a sphere. What card would you recommend to use with to assign Gandalf a sphere to then use Sword-thain? Is it even possible?

Quote:
Sword-thain

Surely Gandalf's requirement of leaving play at the end of the round he enters play wouldn't be overruled simply by playing Sword Thain on him? That being the case, he'd never generate any resources since he'd have to be played after the resource phase and would leave during the refresh phase.

Edit - I was thinking of the core set version. With the other ally this would technically be possible but the deck would necessitate a lot of threat reduction to keep him in play that long. As you were.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
cornishlee wrote:
mschipper wrote:
Hi There,

Quote:
Sword-thain

Surely Gandalf's requirement of leaving play at the end of the round he enters play wouldn't be overruled simply by playing Sword Thain on him? That being the case, he'd never generate any resources since he'd have to be played after the resource phase and would leave during the refresh phase.

Both ally versions will always leave play at the end of a round even if you make Gandalf a hero, but the version from Over Hill and Under Hill allows you to raise your threat by 2 instead of discarding him, so with a solid amount of threat management effects you could keep him around just about indefinitely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
Both ally versions will always leave play at the end of a round even if you make Gandalf a hero, but the version from Over Hill and Under Hill allows you to raise your threat by 2 instead of discarding him, so with a solid amount of threat management effects you could keep him around just about indefinitely.

Looks like you posted that in the exact same minute as my edit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
For that much threat gain you'd probably be better off using the hero version of Gandalf from the start and attaching Sword-thain to someone else. Other than one extra resource per round (after spending four resources to use sword-Thain) and one extra pool of hit points to soak up undefended attacks, I can't see the big advantage of this curious attachment. I've included Sword-thain in a couple of my own decks and only ever used it once - on Forlong in a two-hero Outlands deck. I think Sword-thain might be useful in a secrecy deck if you start with just one or two heroes to keep your starting threat down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.