Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game sounds great, but I never have a consistent 3rd player to warrant purchasing it...My games are always either 2-player or 3-6 "rotating" players...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw the BGG Interview with Rob Daviau at Gen Con and he mentioned that the game does say 3-5 and this is what it was tested with but he said pretty much that he doesn't see a reason why you (mechanically) couldn't play with 2.

The thing is though that the resources do not scale at all even between 3 and 5 players, so he mentioned that the game is much tighter and more confrontational with 5 and less so with 3, so I'd asume with 2 you pretty much stay out of each others way completely, which might not translate to such a great experience with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically what he said other than the last part. In a two-player game, there will be little need for players to raid each other. This may be fine for your group. It will be more of an engine building race with a few tactical raids/skirmishes.

This might be great for your group or you may miss the piratey/war themes in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, in that case I happily stand corrected for that last part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if "too many resources" might be the cause of less conflict, couldn't I just scale back the resources? (or would it be way beyond adjusting starting resources)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This kind of tinkering is fine for regular games, but one which you can only play once? That doesn't leave much room for playtesting or corrections.... I'm already worried enough about getting rules wrong; I can't imagine the stress of messing with the balance too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
if "too many resources" might be the cause of less conflict, couldn't I just scale back the resources? (or would it be way beyond adjusting starting resources)

I think by "resources" Rob is referring to more than just the goods cubes. Exploration sites, for example, are a form of resource, and there are the same number of exploration sites available for two or five players -- so in a two-player game, there will be abundant exploration "resources" available.

I suspect that its theoretically possible to "fix" this (ie, tighten up the exploration and other resources in the game), but it seems nearly guaranteed not to happen. Basically, Rob and his crew would have to go through the Captain's Booke and explorer's map and prune out a number of entries such that the number of exploration sites was more proportional to the player count, and the resulting mines/goods production/other resources was also reduced. Doing this would result in a tighter game both for exploration and other resources, but would probably upset the tested balance of the game, as well.

It would also be a fairly hefty task to do this in such a way as to avoid at least moderate spoilers (ie, you'd basically end up with a list of sites that are guaranteed not to have cool story stuff in them), so for these reasons I doubt that this is likely to happen (or even a good idea)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael c
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be very interested to hear from people who do end up trying this 2-player. I've just started in on Pandemic Legacy with my wife, and I've been enjoying that so far, so it'd be great to have another legacy style game available that is either cooperative or does not require player-vs-player conflict. I had not thought Seafall would fit that bill based on the listed player count and what I'd heard about the game, but if it can be played with just two players and lacks PvP conflict at that count but is still enjoyable, that would be pretty awesome because I do like this theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for me, if 2-player is not a realistic option then I simply will have to pass on the game...I just have way too many other outstanding games that our group already likes to get enough use out of this with 3 or more players...I was hoping this would be a good legacy game that I could play with my wife...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
John_VW wrote:
for me, if 2-player is not a realistic option then I simply will have to pass on the game...I just have way too many other outstanding games that our group already likes to get enough use out of this with 3 or more players...I was hoping this would be a good legacy game that I could play with my wife...

Of the two existing legacy games, only one is cooperative. The other is strictly competitive, with player elimination.

Not to mention that both of those (and this, presumably) certainly qualify as "stop everything else and campaign this to the end" games.

I'm not sure what you expected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joou wrote:
John_VW wrote:

Of the two existing legacy games, only one is cooperative. The other is strictly competitive, with player elimination.

Not to mention that both of those (and this, presumably) certainly qualify as "stop everything else and campaign this to the end" games.

I'm not sure what you expected.
I hoped (not expected) that the game could "continue" but that, if and when needed, I could continue with a different group of players (after a quick "fill-in" as to the basics, and where we were in the game)...

I 2-player game(s) maybe 3-4 times a week, 4-player maybe 3-4 times a month, and 5/6-player about once every two months...and the 3-4 players (and the 5+) themselves vary from session to session, and all enjoy a variety of games (and are not interested in playing the same game for weeks/months on end)...whereas I do have the same person to play my 2-player games (if I choose) and we could "continue" the same game as often as we wanted had it been an option...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds to me as though SeaFall might not be ideal for your situation. While there are mechanisms to add/subtract players, or to handle players that miss sessions, I suspect the game is intended for and best with a constant group of players that can make it to most if not all games. That said, the game looks good enough to me that if I were in your position I'd likely want to try to make it work (convince 3-4 of those players to commit to scheduling time to play, then perhaps have a "floater" player slot).

Have you looked at Pandemic Legacy? I've gotten the impression that it might be a lot more friendly to a dynamic group.

Note that I have played neither game yet, so take these opinions with a grain or two of salt...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
Becq wrote:
Sounds to me as though SeaFall might not be ideal for your situation. While there are mechanisms to add/subtract players, or to handle players that miss sessions, I suspect the game is intended for and best with a constant group of players that can make it to most if not all games. That said, the game looks good enough to me that if I were in your position I'd likely want to try to make it work (convince 3-4 of those players to commit to scheduling time to play, then perhaps have a "floater" player slot).

Have you looked at Pandemic Legacy? I've gotten the impression that it might be a lot more friendly to a dynamic group.

Note that I have played neither game yet, so take these opinions with a grain or two of salt...

Pandemic definitely lends itself well to irregular groups, though it's best if everyone is up to speed on everything that is happening or you'll suffer from one or two veterans directing the other players. I guess this is a problem with Pandemic itself, as well

In retrospect I think I was a bit harsh in my previous comment; I forgot that the manual explicitly states that you might want to lock down the gaming group after a certain event. Seafall would appear to be more "personal" in that regard, like a role-playing game. This is in contrast to the other two Legacy games, where such a configuration was heavily suggested, but not necessarily required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Harris
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just imagine what these types of threads will be like once Ultimate Werewolf Legacy gets more coverage...phew...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
much0gust0 wrote:
Just imagine what these types of threads will be like once Ultimate Werewolf Legacy gets more coverage...phew...

*blink*

*blink-blink*

Nope, it still says "werewolf" and "legacy" next to each other. Is this a joke? I mean ... why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
Becq wrote:
much0gust0 wrote:

*blink*

*blink-blink*

Nope, it still says "werewolf" and "legacy" next to each other. Is this a joke? I mean ... why?

Friend, you may want to sit down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Harris
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ya beat me to it by seconds, Fito, haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, *that's* good news, then. That's, what, $80 or so I won't feel a driving need to spend... bag thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
Becq wrote:
Well, *that's* good news, then. That's, what, $80 or so I won't feel a driving need to spend... bag thumbsup

No man you don't understand, if you die in the game you die in real life.

The ultimate legacy experience cool
I'll show myself out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joou wrote:
Becq wrote:

No man you don't understand, if you die in the game you die in real life.

The ultimate legacy experience cool
I'll show myself out

I'll suggest this alternate wording for impact:

"No man, you don't understand -- if you vote to kill someone you have to actually kill them in real life!"

(Knives are not included in the box, though Bezier does sell Ultimate Knives on their website.)

whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kuehl
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
You could always try the "Dominant Species" two-player method. Play two factions each. They are considered different players. Your lowest score is the one that is compared against the other players lowest score to determine the winner at the end of the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.