Popular Tags: [View All]
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/wal-mart-buying-online-re...

Since they blinked into existence Jet.com has had a steady stream of 10/15/20% off coupons, and they do carry a strange amount of boardgames. Their website is pretty awful & search is weak, but who knows, maybe this is the start of a more legit Amazon competitor. Or maybe just another e-tail corpse on the road, steamrolled by the Mack truck that is Amazon.

Bloomberg wrote:
Wal-Mart has agreed to buy fast-growing online retail newcomer Jet.com, which had launched with a splash a year ago when it announced its intention to challenge online leader Amazon.

Wal-Mart is paying $3 billion in cash and another $300 million in stock.

The deal announced Monday marks a major move for Wal-Mart, which is realizing that it needs to compete more aggressively in the online world. Wal-Mart’s online business has been slowing even as it has been making big investments in new distribution centers and expanding services.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wtf. So Walmart is going to bolster it's crappy online search store by buying THE worst one it possibly could?

I could basically never find anything on Jet and if I could, 98% of the time it was cheaper at amazon or walmart (or csi if it's a game.)

Not sure why walmart feels the need to compete online. Maybe in the mail order diaper business or something? Maybe I just live in a part of the country dominated by it-- there really aren't any other options for a lot of stuff if your goal is to save money in Maine, and they price match almost anything anyway. I guess maybe I also live in a shrinking part of the country that does not pay sales tax to amazon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Barille
msg tools
Thanks for the heads up, now I can't use Jet.com as I am ethically unable to give walmart a dime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
MeepleUp wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:
Wtf. So Walmart is going to bolster it's crappy online search store by buying THE worst one it possibly could?

I could basically never find anything on Jet and if I could, 98% of the time it was cheaper at amazon or walmart (or csi if it's a game.)

Not sure why walmart feels the need to compete online. Maybe in the mail order diaper business or something? Maybe I just live in a part of the country dominated by it-- there really aren't any other options for a lot of stuff if your goal is to save money in Maine, and they price match almost anything anyway. I guess maybe I also live in a shrinking part of the country that does not pay sales tax to amazon?

How do you really feel about walmart?

Haha I love them, perhaps with no other choice! I just don't see what they offer me by selling more online. If you can sell it for cheaper just sell it in the store for cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What exactly does Walmart get out of this? A website with really bad search functionality? A small customer base? I don't see how it made sense to buy Jet right now. Maybe if they had improved a little and actually showed signs they could take on Amazon, but I've seen nothing that led me to believe that yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Thunkd wrote:
What exactly does Walmart get out of this?

The Atlantic wrote:
There are a few specific things Walmart will acquire in the Jet.com deal that might aid in the company’s fight to fend off Amazon. First is a new crop of customers. Jet reports that it has a growing base of “urban and millennial customers” and that it adds 400,000 new shoppers a month—a level of growth that is likely very appealing to Walmart. Second is technology: Jet uses an algorithm that minimizes supply-chain, logistics, and shipping costs, as well as software that shows different prices to different customers. It’s been speculated that this pricing technology is a main component of the deal.

The third piece, interestingly, is Jet.com’s CEO, Marc Lore. Recode reported that Lore will continue to run Jet, but will also run Walmart’s e-commerce after the deal closes. It’s likely that Walmart will be looking to Lore for creative ideas when it comes to online retailing, as Lore has spent the past decade competing with Amazon. And he’s been successful: Lore sold his company Quidsi, which owned Diapers.com and Soap.com, to Amazon for $550 million in 2010. But more recently, Lore has been open about being anti-Amazon; a Bloomberg BusinessWeek profile of him reported that he was “preparing to assault it” with Jet.com.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
scifiantihero wrote:
Not sure why walmart feels the need to compete online.
Because that's where the growth is.
Brick-&-mortar is no longer a growth industry, and WalMart actually closed 100+ stores last year. WalMart can rely on in-store sales for the short-term, but the future is online, and their online business has been consistently losing out to Amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Z.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walmart is not buying Jet.com, Walmart is buying their business model and their CEO. Jet.com's search is ass but have a pretty smart e-commerce platform idea; drop ship everything, from the cheapest cost + shipping vendor they can find based on customer's address. It's the anti-Amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
In response, Amazon buys Sharks.com and starts a knife fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
East Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mavericklancer wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Sharks and Jets
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Barille
msg tools
Stopped using amazon some time ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.