Subject: Final activation below 12? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Lee
Poland
Sosnowiec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After winning the game with using Ancient record I decided to play without getting it in my later games.

Now I find it incredibly hard to get an average link value lower than 2; it happens that I need to get 3 as a result. I also get my waste basket full usually before last construct and then it's pure luck. With average final activation result of 12 or higher I usually fail to activate the Utopia Engine (I know I can use remaining HP to lower difficulty)

I even tried to do some linking without playing the rest of the game at all and the result of 12 is a good one...

What are your results in it? Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Coppedge
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question.

Here are my results for 25 attempts, adjusted for damage taken:

5, 7, 7, 8, 8, 8, 8, 9, 10, 11, 11, 12, 12, 12, 12, 13, 14, 15, 15, 16, 16, 16, 16, 17, 17

12 is not such a bad result, though. For example, if you have 6 HP with 1 extra day left, you can sacrifice 5 HP to reduce the difficulty to 7, and have two attempts to roll 7 or higher. That's about an 83% chance of success.

I miss the days when negative columns counted as 1's, not 2's. In that version, it was often worthwhile to spend 1 HP + 1 component to avoid creating a big 4 or 5 in one column.

I think it'd be pretty cool if the Ancient Record's effect were changed to simply "Double your wastebasket space."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Lee
Poland
Sosnowiec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your effort. I see some really bad results there: 15 or more must be almost impossible to get. (to roll at least 10 in 2 attemtps)

I've seen lots of variants for Ancient record artifact: affecting link value (can't be more than 2), ability to redo links or affecting waste basket. Sadly, I've never seen any playtested recommendation on which variant plays the best.
Still, I get a feeling that there needs to be more influence on linking constructs - waste basket is not enough and I sometimes feel like 90% of the game was meaningless just in hope to get linking minigame right. I'd gladly see some more variants apart from Ancient record for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Coppedge
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bc84 wrote:
I think it'd be pretty cool if the Ancient Record's effect were changed to simply "Double your wastebasket space."

Ooh, and if it were worded "Empty the wastebasket", then the Crystal Battery could recharge it once for another 10 spaces!

bukimi wrote:
I see some really bad results there: 15 or more must be almost impossible to get. (to roll at least 10 in 2 attemtps)

10+ on 2d6:
1 roll: 17%
2 rolls: 31%
3 rolls: 42%
4 rolls: 52%
5 rolls: 60%
6 rolls: 67%

Hopefully you saved some time and HP by skipping The Unnamed!
(Edit: Forgot 2 was the limit when you spend 5 HP.)
(Edit 2: Oh, but also, several of those very high results included damage sustained from negative columns. So given enough days leftover for resting, they aren't all as bad as they look.)

Quote:
Still, I get a feeling that there needs to be more influence on linking constructs - waste basket is not enough and I sometimes feel like 90% of the game was meaningless just in hope to get linking minigame right. I'd gladly see some more variants apart from Ancient record for it.

I'd like leftover components to be more useful. So, something that let you spend components to extend the wastebasket would be nice. Or maybe you should be able to spend a component (and a day?) to start over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Lee
Poland
Sosnowiec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't the Crystal battery made to recharge "belt tools" only? With ability to empty the wastebasket twice, Ancient record would be still too powerful.

It's really easy to get the Ancient record in comparison to the linking. You can get the +1 against spirits bonus and use the paralysis rod (+2) and then you can beat the Unnamed without losing even 1HP. If you have troubles getting 5 level encounter it's enough to wait for "+2 to encounter levels" event in that area.

With so many ideas for "how should Ancient record work" there is a solution to make it a lot weaker artifact (like giving a few extra wastebastet spaces) with replacement for other artifacts in the game. For example, there is almost no need to get treasure for adjusting hit or kill range of monsters (+1) when you can just get one to be able to ignore them all.
One of them could be changed to ability to redo a link for component (or 2) and another for some other idea (like capping a link value at maximum 3).

After that, you would need to get 3 legendary treasures to make linking really easy instead of just 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.