Subject: Not enough monsters to Mark? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Dolan
United States
Rockford
Unspecified
flag msg tools
During "Haven's Last Stand", the 4 heroes manages to kill all the monsters except the Controller just before the avatar was summoned. As a result, once step 3 occurred, there weren't 4 monsters to mark. This doesn't seem to be covered in the rules anywhere. The rules do state that if an effect calls for a specific token and there aren't any more in reserve, the effect is ignored. With that logic, the Sins player only marked he two remaining monsters.

So, did I just miss something in the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clubb
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you have two routes here:
A. Mark all remaining monsters as you did. Basically, the heroes are getting a bonus for being so effective at cleaning the monsters out.

Or

B. Mark all monsters on the board, then, the next monsters on the board are used to fill out the remaining marks needed.

I think as long as you are consistent, either way works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say A.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did B because I really only had 1 monster left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with A as well, because one of the steps in the first mission (Haven's Last Stand)specifically states that if the conditions are already met when you arrive at that step, it's automatically completed and you move to the next step.

Therefore, if there are fewer monsters on the board than need to be marked, the heroes have done such a good job of destroying them that they're ahead of the curve and need only destroy however many can be marked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Turner
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do B, you can mark monsters off board and then never bring them on the board.

The abomination mission in that story also has this issue if there aren't 4 Aboms on the board when the players start it, it's impossible to complete as the Sins player can just bring on only Acolytes...

This likely needs some sort of official ruling, or what to do in these situations is there in the rulebook and no one has found it yet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ Terry
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an interesting question, that plays into a rules question we had today. We couldn't find if the avatar counts as a monster for the marking phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Party_Clown wrote:
This is an interesting question, that plays into a rules question we had today. We couldn't find if the avatar counts as a monster for the marking phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam K
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's correct. If you're not a hero then you're a monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Smith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the game I played we played it as choice A, just marked the monsters on the board

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.