Elysium» Forums » General

Subject: Possible to play German game if you don't speak German? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ashwitha Jayakumar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hello!

Elysium has proven rather difficult and/or expensive to buy in India so finding a reasonably priced copy for sale today has made me very happy. However, there is a small chance it may be the German edition rather than the English one.

How important is it that I buy the English game? It looks like a section on the cards and the full rules are available in English from the publisher's website. Is that good enough? Will I be able to play the German edition with some frequent looking up of things in the English rulebook and perhaps some help from Google Translate?

P.S - I don't speak any German at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it will go.

Almost every card has symbols on it which are mostly self-explaining and they don`t have much text either.

With an english version of the card overview as help, there shouldn`t be much difficulties I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashwitha wrote:
Hello!

Elysium has proven rather difficult and/or expensive to buy in India so finding a reasonably priced copy for sale today has made me very happy. However, there is a small chance it may be the German edition rather than the English one.

How important is it that I buy the English game? It looks like a section on the cards and the full rules are available in English from the publisher's website. Is that good enough? Will I be able to play the German edition with some frequent looking up of things in the English rulebook and perhaps some help from Google Translate?

P.S - I don't speak any German at all.

This should be do-able.

As far as I recall (and can verify from the rule-book on my computer at work), the only written words are:
- the rule book and accompanying card guide
- the card names
- the card text

The rule book and card guide can be downloaded in English.

The card names are mostly ignorable except when looking up clarifications in the card guide - in which case you will have to either go by the picture or look up in the German guide and find the corresponding entry in the English one (if they are in the same order).

As far as the card text goes, most people I play with rely on it, however the cards do also have their abilities shown in pictogram form. This is quite complicated (as it does cover all abilities, including choices and you-get/they-get abilities), which is why a lot of people ignore all but the simplest of them. But if you put the effort to learn it (it is also described in the rule book - or maybe print off that page) then I think that they are, technically, language independent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashwitha Jayakumar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Oh, fantastic! Thank you both!

Worst case scenario, I will pick up a few German words over time, which would be cool in any case!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have an iPad or (I think) an Android tablet there are apps which will scan using the camera and then translate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.