Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Akshay P
United States
Whidbey Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Something that is quest/mission driven and does not necessarily have to be a dungeon crawler. It may or may not need to be a story telling game as such but does need to have an end goal so as to speak. Either board or card games are fine though I think the latter will not be a good fit because of its setup times. I own Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card game and it kind of fits the bill but I feel that it has something missing.

But here is where it gets slightly trickier.

- I abhor setup times. Anything that takes too long to setup literally drives me away. Under 15 minutes would be preferred.
- Learning curve. I am ok if there is a great tutorial and/or playthrough available but honestly most on youtube are fairly lacking.
- I play mainly 1P. Potentially play with others but honestly do not see that happening too often.
- Length of time. Anything over an hour is going to be tricky to make time for. This is NOT a problem if there is a way to save progress and then jump right back to the game at a later time with minimal setup time but I do realize we are talking about board/card games and not video games .. ha ha.
- Difficulty level. I like challenges. But a game where I am going to lose almost every time is very likely to dissuade me from playing it regularly.
- I am ok with luck and dice being part of the game. While I love strategy, I am not too interested in strategy heavy games.

Games like Mage Knight and Robinson Crusoe are two games that seem to click with me. When I read the descriptions atleast. But they are very long games and I don't think/know there is way of tracking/saving progress and jumping back in the game at a later time.

So, what do you guys think? I am fairly new to board gaming and would love to find this 1 game that I can fall in love with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fistfullofbeer wrote:
Something that is quest/mission driven and does not necessarily have to be a dungeon crawler. It may or may not need to be a story telling game as such but does need to have an end goal so as to speak. Either board or card games are fine though I think the latter will not be a good fit because of its setup times. I own Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card game and it kind of fits the bill but I feel that it has something missing.

But here is where it gets slightly trickier.

- I abhor setup times. Anything that takes too long to setup literally drives me away. Under 15 minutes would be preferred.
- Learning curve. I am ok if there is a great tutorial and/or playthrough available but honestly most on youtube are fairly lacking.
- I play mainly 1P. Potentially play with others but honestly do not see that happening too often.
- Length of time. Anything over an hour is going to be tricky to make time for. This is NOT a problem if there is a way to save progress and then jump right back to the game at a later time with minimal setup time but I do realize we are talking about board/card games and not video games .. ha ha.
- Difficulty level. I like challenges. But a game where I am going to lose almost every time is very likely to dissuade me from playing it regularly.
- I am ok with luck and dice being part of the game. While I love strategy, I am not too interested in strategy heavy games.

Games like Mage Knight and Robinson Crusoe are two games that seem to click with me. When I read the descriptions atleast. But they are very long games and I don't think/know there is way of tracking/saving progress and jumping back in the game at a later time.

So, what do you guys think? I am fairly new to board gaming and would love to find this 1 game that I can fall in love with.
Small world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
Using solo-ability and being "mission-based" as the primary criteria, I would check out Legends of Andor and Hostage Negotiator. They're both quite different, but I think both of them fulfill all your wants, except LoA might be a bit longer than an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting
badge
and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Small world.

Legends of Andor is a great game that does meet most of your criteria, but I think it probably takes a bit more than an hour. Also, be aware of what it is going in to it: more of a puzzle / time management / risk management game. It is not a 'kill dudes' game, although there is killing dudes.

Freedom: The Underground Railroad has been one of my favorite solo games lately. Maybe that would fit the bill? Less 'missions', per se, but it's a very good game. Can easily be set up and played in under an hour once you know the drill. I keep all of the components needed for solo play separate, so setup is a breeze.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent with the Road to Legend app is a good fit. Probably. If you need to tear down/set up every time you play, then never mind. But if you can leave it setup then it isn't an issue. Also, you'll need to play for 4; doesn't bother me, but it might bother you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vigo Velito
United States
Haymarket
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to third Legends of Andor. Based on the description, it introduces new concepts as you play, but at its core it is quick to learn.

It is not super easy, you will lose until you figure it out. It is basically a puzzle with some luck sprinkled in (dice)...and with a good divider (I do foam-core) setup is pretty quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Small world.

:what:

Legends of Andor is a great game that does meet most of your criteria, but I think it probably takes a bit more than an hour. Also, be aware of what it is going in to it: more of a puzzle / time management / risk management game. It is not a 'kill dudes' game, although there is killing dudes.

Freedom: The Underground Railroad has been one of my favorite solo games lately. Maybe that would fit the bill? Less 'missions', per se, but it's a very good game. Can easily be set up and played in under an hour once you know the drill. I keep all of the components needed for solo play separate, so setup is a breeze.
Small world can be played in under an hour, has (once you have all the counters sorted) little set up time, has very little (any?) luck, and is hardly the most complex game in the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah but it kind of misses the criteria of quest/mission based playable by 1 player.

There is a die used in small world so it does have some luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akshay P
United States
Whidbey Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
vigovelito wrote:
I am going to third Legends of Andor. Based on the description, it introduces new concepts as you play, but at its core it is quick to learn.

It is not super easy, you will lose until you figure it out. It is basically a puzzle with some luck sprinkled in (dice)...and with a good divider (I do foam-core) setup is pretty quick.

Probably a side question but I could definitely use some kind of system to keep items separated out in the box? Can you elaborate a bit on what you mean by good divider? Is that something that comes standard in the box or did you purchase it separately? If the latter then can you possibly provide a link on where to purchase one from? What do most people use for managing items in their game box? Ziploc bags, etc? Not every game I own has a good box set to manage items and I have always wondered about this.

Also, regarding the other posts, I do agree with Small World not being a good fit. I have the game already and I like it as well but just does not match what I am looking for with story/quest driven gaming.

Legends of Andor seems interesting at a quick glance. Will look it up a little more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Plano/fishing tackle or hobby store (for craft beads etc) boxes in most of my games. Really makes setup a breeze. Very few board game inserts are better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legends of Andor indeed sounds like it would be something for you.

There's also The 7th Continent. This is actually an adventure game that you can 'save' and come back to. The only thing is that it was on Kickstarter and will be delivered in October/November. I don't know when it will hit retail and how generally available it will be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
Sounds like you should try video games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting
mbmbmbmbmb
My storage solution for every game varies, but for Legends of Andor I keep each hero + associated bits in a separate bag (so I can just grab the bags for the heroes I'm using-- I have the expansions so there's quite a few now). Beyond that, I keep all of the bits in a plano box like Chris mentioned above. They can usually be found in the fishing or hobby section of pretty much any department store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
adam wilson wrote:

Yeah, my first thought was, "You want a video game." There ain't nothing wrong with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Star Trek Panic?

Your goal is to complete a set number of randomly selected missions (5 by default; you can go up or down to adjust difficulty).

The core gameplay is based on Castle Panic, with some new things added, so it's not super complicated. You can play one character, or go multi-handed if you want to take advantage of card trading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akshay P
United States
Whidbey Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
stevepop wrote:
adam wilson wrote:

Yeah, my first thought was, "You want a video game." There ain't nothing wrong with that.

I have lots of video games to be honest. PC, consoles the whole shabang. I am actually specifically looking for a board game that fits my need(s). If there is none, I am not going to be distraught or go into depression ..

That is why I am came here to ask for recommendations. Figured if there is anything, this would be the best place to ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anny48 wrote:

There's also The 7th Continent. This is actually an adventure game that you can 'save' and come back to. The only thing is that it was on Kickstarter and will be delivered in October/November. I don't know when it will hit retail and how generally available it will be.

This was what came to my mind. Solo-able, on-going game but with super speedy save option. Worth watching out for when it hits retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps Dungeon Crawler. Once you get the rules down--you'll need to literally get them down by downloading some corrected updates to the printed rules--I think this meets your criteria. In particular, it is great because you can leave it and return to it pretty easily.

Game claims 1-4 but it is really a solo game as far as I can tell.

I did a video discussion/analysis of it that you can see here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/99785/dungeon-crawler/analys...

I'm not a shill for the designer; in fact, I was quite harsh about certain aspects of the production, but overall it seems like it fits your criteria and works really well as a solo game with just enough strategy and difficulty to be interesting but not too much to be frustrating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akshay P
United States
Whidbey Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
7th continent does appear like a decent fit as well. Will keep an eye out on that.

Back to Legends of Andor. If I were to get the game, should I get it with one (or both of the expansions)?

Also, Legends of Andor says that it is 2-4 players. Does 1 player basically mean playing 2 hands?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Legends of Andor, but I was worried about it when people recommended for solo play. I've only played it a few times, but found it much harder with 2 then 4.

Then again, it is a fully cooperative game with no hidden info. So there is no reason you can't play a four player game by yourself.

I might suggest as a filler to what you want, Zombie in my Pocket or Zombie in my Pocket

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fistfullofbeer wrote:

Back to Legends of Andor. If I were to get the game, should I get it with one (or both of the expansions)?

Also, Legends of Andor says that it is 2-4 players. Does 1 player basically mean playing 2 hands?

Thanks.

To start, I don't think you need either of the expansions. New Heroes is just what it sounds like (and rules for 5-6 players), whereas The Star Shield is one huge legend that can be replayed many times. It'll take you a while to work through the base game, so I wouldn't be worried about the expansions right away.

Sort of. There are no 'hands' or anything, but you'd run multiple characters. When I play solo, I run all 4. It's really easy to keep track of, and they always activate in order, so it's easy to keep track of which hero has gone and which hasn't yet. All of the information is readily available on the board and character boards, so it's very easy to keep track of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akshay P
United States
Whidbey Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
emodiu5 wrote:
fistfullofbeer wrote:

Thanks.

To start, I don't think you need either of the expansions. New Heroes is just what it sounds like (and rules for 5-6 players), whereas The Star Shield is one huge legend that can be replayed many times. It'll take you a while to work through the base game, so I wouldn't be worried about the expansions right away.

Sort of. There are no 'hands' or anything, but you'd run multiple characters. When I play solo, I run all 4. It's really easy to keep track of, and they always activate in order, so it's easy to keep track of which hero has gone and which hasn't yet. All of the information is readily available on the board and character boards, so it's very easy to keep track of.

Thanks and Done.

I ordered the base/core set of Legends of Andor. I watched Rahdo's runthrough and extended gameplay and the game seems simple enough. There are quite a few moving parts/pieces but it looks like the setup instructions are fairly clear and the game seems pretty fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a great game! I hope you like it.

Like I said, it's important to understand what you're getting in to. If you expect and adventure game where you run around killing all the monsters, you will be disappointed

Let us know how you end up liking it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akshay P
United States
Whidbey Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
emodiu5 wrote:
It's a great game! I hope you like it.

Like I said, it's important to understand what you're getting in to. If you expect and adventure game where you run around killing all the monsters, you will be disappointed

Let us know how you end up liking it!

Yep. That makes sense. The game seems like a time management game with monster killing elements. Rahdo's gameplay actually made it pretty clear as they would have lost the game because he did not finish his 'fate' in time.

If I start playing with 2 characters (like Rahdo did), would that be good enough as a start? Or should I try to start with 3+ characters?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never actually played with less than 4 heroes, so I can't comment on that, unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.