23.9% of Goal | 30 Days Left

Support:

Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have a half decent android phone (Moto G, 2nd Gen) that runs the app. I can use it, but the screen is small (because it's a smartphone!) which means constantly picking it up to interact with it.

I have a laptop. It looks great on it (much more robust graphics) but it takes up a not inconsiderable amount of tablespace, not to mention using the trackpad is annoying. Although..... I could use a wireless mouse and put the laptop more to the side. That might help. Nonetheless, it is a laptop which means it needs to be awoken from sleep mode (at best) and signed in, then start up steam (not always open) then start the game. Additionally, I usually leave it at work as that is its primary use.

I have a 1st Gen iPad Air. This is the optimal method, large enough screen, decent sound, great interactivity, and boots up from sleep mode in a flash. Most of the time I can use it but my wife does use it sporadically, for the gym and a few other methods. So I don't have unfettered access.

My point is, if I start a campaign and have to stop midway through because my wife needs the iPad, I can't just continue on my merry way using my phone. This needs to be addressed somehow; I don't care if it's as cumbersome as needing to create an export file and then emailing it to myself (to keep the app cloud-free, which appears to be FFG's commendable aim with all their apps). But it's an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hoisington
United States
flag msg tools
You can get a tablet for under the price of the game which will run the app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Crstphr2 wrote:
You can get a tablet for under the price of the game which will run the app.

America has a lot of amazing sales in just about every corner of retail, so that might make sense for one of your compatriots. You can be forgiven for forgetting that the rest of the world doesn't have it so good.

Not a bad idea but I'd rather not be forced to spend more money when this could easily be implemented in the existing software

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Helgeland
Denmark
flag msg tools
Lack of cloud-saving is indeed an issue. I would love to transfer back and forth as well!

That being said, after trying playing the game with the app on my OnePlusOne phone, I redid all the steps to get the same result on my laptop. It is so much easier! I often leave the laptop on a chair or something, because the table is usually cramped with snacks and the boardgame itself. I highly recommend a wireless mouse, or just a wired mouse (I use wired ) Then the laptop is not really in the way, and can be set aside a little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Does your phone connect to an external monitor via HDMI or some other method? Monitors sans keyboards don't really take a lot of table space. This is my current solution.

- Jee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin B
United States
flag msg tools
Stats not guaranteed accurate. May be made up entirely.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could hook up the laptop to a TV, large monitor, or projector and get a wireless mouse (or a usb extender could even work). This would free up the space on your table while allowing a good view of the app. You'd just need space for your mouse!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is kind of related to the topic... I was trying to download the app to my laptop so I could play. I have it on my smart phone but I would like to put it on my laptop so I could use it at the table. Problem is I don't know where the download link is!

I see that RtL is available on STEAM. I don't have steam nor do I want to install it. Is there a way to download the file to install right to my latptop? I was able to do that with the Xcom app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:
This is kind of related to the topic... I was trying to download the app to my laptop so I could play. I have it on my smart phone but I would like to put it on my laptop so I could use it at the table. Problem is I don't know where the download link is!

I see that RtL is available on STEAM. I don't have steam nor do I want to install it. Is there a way to download the file to install right to my latptop? I was able to do that with the Xcom app.

I too have XCOM installed on my laptop as a standalone app. I do not believe this is the case for RtL (hopefully it will be in the future).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I believe Road to Legend is only available through Steam. What's your issue with it? It doesn't take up much space on your hard drive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just dont want to put anything on my computer that doesnt need to be. I have no use for steam so i was hoping i didnt have to install it.

I wish they would make it so you could put the app on a usb drive and run it from there. That way it would work on any computer or even plug it into a smart tv
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
I've not tested it, but if it's like the Mansions of Madness app, it doesn't use Steam for anything but distribution. So you can install Steam (on a virtual box if you're that worried), register (no way around it), download it, copy it from the Steam folder to a USB, and then just run it from there.

Of course you won't get any of the regular updates and patches.

It's also possible it's different as they'll be doing bought content for this game (or they might turn copy protection on once a paid for campaign comes out).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah. I didnt think about that aspect. Might have to just download steam then. I just try to have as little on my pc as possible. Keeps from causing clutter and running slow.

I also thought i saw an android app emulator that you could use to run the app but that sounds like more trouble than its worth.

The only reason i wanted to run this on a pc or laptop was because it would be cool to have road to legend running on my tv. Better for everyone to see rather than looking at my phone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.