$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
41.9% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

Forbidden Stars» Forums » General

Subject: Coin Capsules, Varnish, 3D Printing or Other Ideas for Game Longevity rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Smith
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So just got FS for my birthday last week, and this is a game that I want to last on my shelf for years to come. Based on the comments here on BGG it appears that the order tokens get worn out really quick, as in after a dozen or so plays they are heavily warn down. Granted there are already multiple threads for ideas, but wanted to get a sense for which would be best.

My thoughts were that getting varnish would be nice to be able to cover all the tokens, not just the order tokens, as well as the maps to help keep the game in pristine condition. The capsules on the other hand just give the tokens more of the feel of playing space poker, and I love playing with poker chips. After all Splendor would not be ranked so high without chips. whistle Personally I do not have easy access to a 3D printer, so that could get a bit spendy.

I would love to keep this game in as mint condition as possible, so for those OCD gamers like me which is better a light varnish, the 32 mm coin capsules, or 3D printing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty 27
Canada
Grande Prairie
flag msg tools
I like my coin capsules. With a second copy it allow multiple players to play the same faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Hiesterman
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
I wish to kill you, be at rest as to that, but to kill you quietly in a snug, remote place, where you will not be able to boast of your death to anybody
badge
Caught trouser-free in open country...
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the coin capsules. Easy, relatively inexpensive, and they stack great. They have the added benefit that you can more easily see the color of the chits lower in the stack at a glance...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where have you found coin capsules cheap? Because they always seem kinda pricey to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
Where have you found coin capsules cheap? Because they always seem kinda pricey to me.

Agreed. Based on my calculations it would be around $30 just to get enough for the game. Then again this is an expensive hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
On eBay I managed to get four sets of 10 from China for about £5 TOTAL, that is less than $10, including spares. Didn't take long, I'm really glad I did it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dusty27 wrote:
I like my coin capsules. With a second copy it allow multiple players to play the same faction.
Could you please tell me where you got yours? When I tried looking for them on amazon.ca they were quite expensive compared to amazon.com (which wouldn't ship them to Canada...) so I'm wondering if there is a better option around or overlooked something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Murkes
Netherlands
Voorburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try http://www.aliexpress.com/ to order directly from China.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I got mine from somewhere similar to this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50pcs-Boxed-Coin-Capsules-Coin-Cas...:m:mjL9OJ_HrxY7gUQuixV0PNg

UK not Canada, but China is pretty far from both, so I'm sure this or similar sellers would ship to you as well....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What size coin capsules should we look for?

I just got 10 40mm capsules for a dollar on Ebay, but I see above someone mentioned 32mm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
32.5 mm is the size I've seen noted for these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On a couple other threads they mentioned 32 mm would work as well. After further searching, you can find 100 on Amazon for just $12, which I went ahead and ordered. My bet is that they are from China based on the shipping timeline.

Here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/100pcs-Plastic-Capsules-Holder-Contai...

Thanks for everyone's responses and help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Revolta
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With 32 mm the corners of the tokens will touch the capsule so will have to push them gently inside. 32,5 mm are better but 32 mm will do as well if You cannot find the bigger ones.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1574363/how-keep-your-order...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stu ma
Germany
HD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I use Coin Capsules. I bought them for Starcraft and FS. I'm not sure which size is for FS, but the capsules are good quality:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B005VQQFGQ/ref=oh_aui_detai...

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B005VQQ3P4/ref=oh_aui_detai...

Sleves for the cards and things are well protected...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arra Hepina
msg tools
I'd also strongly recommend coin capsules. I ordered them from a Chinese merchant from eBay for less than 4£. I varnished rest of the tokens, and even though they are less likely to be fiddled with, they started showing signs of wear after couple of plays. Having any clearly visible marks on the order tokens would drastically affect the game, so those coin capsules will keep the game playable for a long time.
I was a bit worried that 32mm would be too small, but the tokens barely needed any other force than gravity to fit in the capsule. I wouldn't order capsules that are any smaller than that, though.

As an added bonus you can use them like poker chips when you are waiting for other players to finish their turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Murkes
Netherlands
Voorburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ordered 32,5 mm. Perfect size with some wiggle room.
They make soothing clacking noises while playing, give the players something to fiddle with, look great without being intrusive, and keep the order tokens pristine.
Highly recommended, especially considering the low prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious, does anyone feel it is necessary to laminate the faction sheets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Msmith10000 wrote:
Just curious, does anyone feel it is necessary to laminate the faction sheets?

I haven't, but kinda wish I had. Someone got a bit too enthusiastic with his drink... Fortunately the damage was very minor and easily solved. I was very glad I had sleeved the cards at that point!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Msmith10000 wrote:
On a couple other threads they mentioned 32 mm would work as well. After further searching, you can find 100 on Amazon for just $12, which I went ahead and ordered. My bet is that they are from China based on the shipping timeline.

Here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/100pcs-Plastic-Capsules-Holder-Contai...

Thanks for everyone's responses and help!

For those curious they just came in the mail, and they fit perfectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Djordje Milovancev
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I gave the tokens a heavy varnish coat, now they are sticky and rip when being unstuck...now i need to repaint them :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pyetya
msg tools
mb
FFG card sleeves + 32.5 coin capsules and I'm all set

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So has anyone laminated the player boards? If so how did it work out? I've got this laminator here with a 5mm setting. Will I be all right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevepop wrote:
So has anyone laminated the player boards? If so how did it work out? I've got this laminator here with a 5mm setting. Will I be all right?

I have access to a lamination machine as well. I honestly haven't thought about laminating the board, but I suppose if others did it, I might be more inclined to follow suit.

For the most the player boards don't get handled all too much, so I haven't bothered yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.