45% of Goal | left

Support:

Greg Infi
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
There are a few serious inaccuracies in BGG price history (that I also discussed in this thread). Below are the top 3 issues and recommended solutions:

1) Problem: the condition of used items from auctions in BGG price history often shows 'New' because sellers don't change the default value when they use "Quick Marketplace Listing" ("QML"). I've seen many games that were opened, used and even damaged that were shown in BGG price history as 'New'.
Solution: change the "QML" form so that no value is pre-selected by default which means the seller will have to select the condition manually. More often than not, auction items are for used items so the default 'New' is not suitable anyway. Additionally, if the auction seller selects "New", show a warning text saying "IMPORTANT: by selecting 'New' you indicate that the item is brand new unused, unopened, and undamaged. If the item was opened or used, please, select different condition. See Marketplace Condition Policy for details"

2) Problem: BGG price history doesn't differentiate sales of the games from games bundled with expansions and sometimes it also shows a sale of multiple different games under one game.
Solution: Add another drop-down or radio-buttons in the market listing form and "QML" form with 3 choices:
- "Game only"
- "Game + expansion(s)"
- "Multiple games"
BGG price history can now have a filter to show sales of "game only" and/or "game + expansions". Any sales of "multiple games" should be completely ignored in BGG price history.

3) Problem: BGG price history doesn't differentiate marketplace and auction items.
Solution: BGG price history should have a filter to include/exclude auction sales. Games listed through "QML" should be automatically marked as "auction sale".

The first two items above are most serious. The third one is just 'nice to have'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a secondary flea market. Because its so loose it makes for a ton of unique situations. I think all of your problems are solved by just spending an extra moment and looking at the past deals. I have gained a better understanding of whats out there and what people want by all this info smashed together.

that all being said I think I still agree with you enough to say that there should be some type of tooltip tags or something. I also agree with your first problem and solution its just that its commonly misleading to people outside the deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
Yeah, I would like to see a differentiating difference between auction items/Math trade items and marketplace sold items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Infi
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks, I just fixed the thread link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Infi
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Is there any chance to have this implemented? Just today I came across two sales of "Penny Press" in BGG Price History with abnormally high price, only to discover they each included multiple games: Link1, Link2

And below is yet another example of two ouliers that squash the chart. Both of them were auction sales that included multiple different games, not just one copy of Civilization.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does make a mockery of having a pricing chart by allowing the games packages included under a single game. Maybe a solution would imvolve other users being able to report/flag these in order to exclude them from the tables/charts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Infi
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
User flagging is a very good idea. In addition to that, it is also possible to implement a simple algorithm to at least exclude the most obvious anomalies using standard deviation.

See this obvious candidate for exclusion in Battlestar Galactica - a sale for 625 euro which is over 20 times more than average making the rest of the chart unusable:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree with your assessment. Here's another related issue that surprised me.

I recently purchased a game and its expansion through a BGG auction. The seller bundled all the games in the auction ($1,000+) to process the BGG fee. No individual marketplace items were processed, no feedback could be given, and price history was not updated.

My confidence in the accuracy of the marketplace price history and seller feedback has taken a hit. I think sellers should be required to process each item auctioned and sold individually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.