Subject: T-Shirts! Get your T-shirts! Hats and more! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael McElroy

Cedar Hill
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How come there's essentially none of this in our hobby? I've been collecting roughly two to three years now. My collection is nearing 100. However, I don't have a single shirt that represents my hobby. I sent messages to both Days of Wonder and Blue Orange last year via facebook (I thought they might handle some of this kind of thing) requesting to purchase shirts. No response. Of course, cafe press has generic gaming shirts but I'm curious why more publishers don't expand their marketing.
Here are some reasons I think it would be nice to have some nice game swag.
1. I like wearing stuff that represents my interests. I like blue too so I wear a lot of blue shirts.

2. It promotes the hobby.

3. It promotes individual games.

4. It promotes unity within the hobby. I was hiking in the bottom of the Grand Canyon three weeks ago and saw someone in a Li'l Sebastian shirt and right then and there about ten of us who did not know each other started singing songs from Parks and Rec.

5. I am in love with some of the artwork that comes out in some these games. I'd wear just about anything Ryan Laukat designs.

I'm interested in why this doesn't happen. And why or why not you think it's a good or bad idea. I realize it creates more overhead to a lot of already strapped publishers and small companies but I still have a hard time seeing the negative of having people walk around as billboards that pay you to advertise your product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a number of BG podcasts that have (and promote) their own swag. But I agree that it's surprising that publishers and such don't. Then again, there isn't a margin on shirts....

HC shirts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you searched for meeple shirts? They had a campaign on KS, and now they have a home page selling their T-shirts.

http://meepleshirts.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess for most its just trying to diversify too far. They should try to get their art to shirt designers and makers though, I could see a lot of good designs come out.

I currently have a red "we built this city on wheat and ore" shirt, the one with the city on the 3 hexes. I even wore it hiking at a state park and been called out on it by a stranger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://cardboardclothing.com/product-category/tee-shirts/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a lot of game-oriented T-shirts, but the original poster has a point. I'm a season ticket holder for several sports teams and they flood me with apparrel. You would think that the price of a shirt or hat (cost to company maybe $5 tops) the advertising benefit would be rather significant, especially since there are so few good ways to reach gamers.

Pete (supposes maybe the problem is that gamers like to abuse freebies)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In order to be cost effective, you'd have to print them in volume, which means you're tying up money and storage space to offer those shirts. And running the risk of over-ordering and getting stuck with a lot of shirts you'll be lucky to give away. Also, considering that you're not going to make much on them, it's just another headache to deal with.

I'd probably never wear a game shirt anyway. So it sounds like a niche product in a niche industry. Probably not worth the effort.

Honestly, I'd much rather publishers didn't try to take on more side projects like this and just focused on making great games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Lawrence, just spent money on that site, buying something else than T-shirts, but still gamey artifacts...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
I have a lot of game-oriented T-shirts, but the original poster has a point. I'm a season ticket holder for several sports teams and they flood me with apparrel. You would think that the price of a shirt or hat (cost to company maybe $5 tops) the advertising benefit would be rather significant, especially since there are so few good ways to reach gamers.

That depends on the quality of the shirt. Any shirt that costs $5 to print is going to end up a rag that people use to soap up their cars when they wash them. High-quality t-shirts are x3-x4 that amount. Giving them away would be a MASSIVE cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The easiest way to get a t-shirt is to volunteer for teaching games. I have a bunch because of that. Go to a con and volunteer for a company you will get a t-shirt and most likely a free game.

Selling t-shirts/making t-shirts isn't as easy as you think.

1. Even the larger gaming companies only have a few "brands" and smaller companies already only have up to a dozen games for sale.

2. T-shirts are equal to a game in that you have to buy a lot in order to make a decent margin and/or wholesale. Also supply and demand for all the sizes is not an easy thing.

3. Capitalism, There are Catan brand t-shirts and other T-shirt companies that have Catan realated stuff on it. Considering it is one of the largest games in the industry they aren't everywhere. If the number one gaming brand doesn't have everyone eating up their t-shirts why should anyone take that risk.

Edit - I may not be the target market for this post because I own 9 blank black polo's, 5 pairs of the same size and color jeans, and a few dozen of the same style of underwear and socks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Franczyk
United States
Windermere
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will agree that your shirts are awesome. My girlfriend could not keep her hands off of me after she felt how soft the Heavy Cardboard shirt is. It sounds like some sales pitch, but it's true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eapeas wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

That depends on the quality of the shirt. Any shirt that costs $5 to print is going to end up a rag that people use to soap up their cars when they wash them. High-quality t-shirts are x3-x4 that amount. Giving them away would be a MASSIVE cost.
I suppose that makes sense. I really value the jerseys I get from sports teams in part because they normally sell for $50-$100, even though the cost to produce them is probably minimal.

By contrast, a cheap shirt I might not ever wear and might toss away.

Pete (still wears the Avengers giveaway T-shirt from Gen Con a few years ago, though)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrilly Philly
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only seen "YES WE CATAN!" shirts with hex pieces in the background.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pullen

Amarillo
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mavericklancer wrote:

Thanks for the link! Order placed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bennett
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheapass Games sells shirts at Zazzle, but the only way they are affordable is if you get a coupon for at least 50% off. I still want the one with 50 to 60 game logos on it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamerBwear.com has a lot of great stuff, just have to search by name of game. Unfortunately, most of the gaming shirts have meeples on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
United States
Sandy
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
http://beziergames.com/collections/all-games/products/castle...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can usually spot a board gamer without having to see which teeshirt they are wearing, so not much need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To make t-shirts cheap, you have to make them in bulk. This can only really work for things like cons or Kickstarters, when you've got a good idea of how many you'll be able to shift in a small amount of time.

The other way is print-on-demand, which I assume is how Zazzle works. Unfortunately this is expensive.

So what would you rather spend your money on; a game-themed t-shirt for £30 or a cheap blank t-shirt for £5 and a game for £25?

For things like film franchises and sports, there's only so much you can spend on the thing itself before you move into the merchandising. When buying boardgames, what do you spend any money left over on? Yep, more boardgames!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
I sympathize with the OP's desire to have more hobby tshirts. It'd be a good thing. Maybe some game companies may pick up the slack. We could even have a forum devoted to such stuff here at BGG? Just a thought.

Whether I would buy such shirts depends on a design and shirt quality, but I think I would certainly buy at least a few.

Here is a shirt design I bought some years ago at ComicCon that I wear fairly often. I love it because either people get it right away (rare) or they look very puzzled and try and figure out the riddle. I remember one woman, as I said it was obscure, I'd have to explain, saying to me "No, no, I'll get it eventually, I'm good at these kinds of puzzles." Pure awesomeness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Carpenter
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have mentioned I would guess it's something to do with having the expertise in house for getting shirts printed/the cost of getting them printed/the cost of setting up sales channels/the cost of...

I agree with the OP, though, I would love to see more board gaming tees. I know I'd happily wear them. However, I guess I'd rather the board game publishers concentrated on making great games!

TeePublic sells some meeple-y tshirts. Here's a link: https://www.teepublic.com/tees/meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some nice links, but be careful with Cardboard Clothing. Their Kickstarter was an unmitigated disaster. I'm actually surprised they still exist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mawilson4 wrote:
Some nice links, but be careful with Cardboard Clothing. Their Kickstarter was an unmitigated disaster. I'm actually surprised they still exist.

They sold the company to someone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa Delp
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tantrum House has several shirt designs and are working on more. Be sure to check out the back of the Traitor shirt.
http://www.tantrumhouse.com/shop.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Ithaca
NY
flag msg tools
Vigilo Confido
badge
In the pipe, five by five...
mbmbmbmbmb
mawilson4 wrote:

My pledge was for just a single shirt and I had no problems whatsoever. I'm not sure what issues other people faced, but I was very happy with my experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.