Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Black holes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
kevin halloran
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Are there any battles, campaigns or wars that people feel are either unrepresented or under-represented in board games? My own choice - only because I have written quite extensively on it (sorry for the self-promotion but it's my only very very small claim to a dubious fame)- is the battle of Brunanburh in 937 AD. Indeed there is very little on the process of English unification and the conflicts of the English, Scots, Welsh, Strathclyde Britons and Vikings between Alfred the Great and the Norman Conquest. 10th century Britain is a black hole. Any others?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's this on the Falklands but not sure how much else...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Games I want to play on VASSAL: ASL, ASLSK, GMT CDG's I own
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I have ever seen a game about the Soviet Union's war in Afghanistan, although I'm sure there are some. Or how about the war between Iran and Iraq? Those are both wars I remember seeing in the news when I was a child. Of course, most of my wargames are american/european, so conflicts involving americans or europeans are overrepresented. This reminds me that I'm looking forward to Mark Herman's Sun Tzu, on the Chinese Warring States period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adm1 wrote:
There's this on the Falklands but not sure how much else...

An answer to myself and to you is Lock'n Load, if you want tactical games. Lock'n Load has a Falklands game, and I think an Afghanistan module is supposed to be released (maybe as an expansion to some other game, I don't remember).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avery Allen
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Click here and prepare to be underwhelmed.
badge
I never promised you a rose garden.
As I'm halfway through The Iliad, I was thinking I would love to see a hex and counter game on the Trojan War. More specifically, I was hoping for a GBoH entry.

It then occurred to me that I've never checked Chariots of Fire for a scenario, and -BOOM- there it is, complete with counters for Achliles, Agamemnon, Paris, Odysseus, Ajax, etc.

So, I guess my answer is No, but I'm glad you asked!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgotten Wars

Obscure Wargaming Topics

Wargames off the beaten path

Military conflicts that games forgot

for a start....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
(I was hoping this was going to be about wargames which use black holes as weapons, or which occur near black holes, e.g. Black Hole...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
(I was hoping this was going to be about wargames which use black holes as weapons, or which occur near black holes, e.g. Black Hole...)

You mean this one: Eclipse

No really, it has a mini-expansion with a black hole hex, and if Twilight Struggle is a wargame, Eclipse surely is... [ducking for cover]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Toot
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or Disney's The Black Hole, which was first blue, then red....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also: Space Empires: 4X from GMT is a more modern "real" SF wargame with black holes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oivind22 wrote:
I don't think I have ever seen a game about the Soviet Union's war in Afghanistan, although I'm sure there are some. Or how about the war between Iran and Iraq?

God bless S&T
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see a game on the rise of Shaka Zulu. It could be strategic in scope -- which would be difficult to design and would have to be large in order to be interesting -- or a tactical series of historic scenarios.

Another very interesting game, dealing with the same part of the world, would be the rise of the Basotho nation under Moshoeshoe. Again, it could be strategic or tactical in scope, with the latter pitting the Basotho against a host of different enemies: the Zulu, the Matebele, the British and the Boers. Although he ended up being forced to cede half his territory, and the more arable half, to the Boers, Moshoeshoe was never defeated in battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
polate wrote:
oivind22 wrote:
I don't think I have ever seen a game about the Soviet Union's war in Afghanistan, although I'm sure there are some. Or how about the war between Iran and Iraq?

God bless S&T

The Siege of Orgun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There's this local medieval civil war that lasted for 20 years (1139-1159) which decided who would rule the duchy of Brabant in the Low Countries. As far as I was able to find there was 1 (one) university dissertation written on it - 100 years ago. I managed to acquire a digital copy of it and plan to make a wargame out of it .. someday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hussite Wars. Wargames can successfully overlook the various intracacies that mesh with actual combat to form a historical period, which might get us past Czech historians' failure to gain a good understanding of this 15-year period of conflict. It began a few years after Agincourt, that extremely unlikely annihilation whose tactical mysteries took a long time to unravel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
There are two kinds of ships: Submarines and Targets.
mb
Westie wrote:
polate wrote:
oivind22 wrote:

God bless S&T

The Siege of Orgun

..and Gulf Strike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Are there any battles, campaigns or wars that people feel are either unrepresented or under-represented in board games?

Possibly not, since everything being mentioned here is either pretty recent, or not well-known. The only war with a decent amount of "common knowledge" that I'm surprised to have so few games on is the 2nd Punic War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
Invicta
mbmbmbmbmb
winheath wrote:
Are there any battles, campaigns or wars that people feel are either unrepresented or under-represented in board games? My own choice - only because I have written quite extensively on it (sorry for the self-promotion but it's my only very very small claim to a dubious fame)- is the battle of Brunanburh in 937 AD. Indeed there is very little on the process of English unification and the conflicts of the English, Scots, Welsh, Strathclyde Britons and Vikings between Alfred the Great and the Norman Conquest. 10th century Britain is a black hole. Any others?

Well they were the Dark Ages after all...

I feel that China in the 1930s/40s is very underrepresented given the huge scale of events and numbers of deaths. Or may be I haven't looked hard enough, is there a COIN treatment of the subject, as that would seem perfect?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
I don't know why, but this picture ALWAYS makes me smile...
mbmbmbmbmb
oivind22 wrote:
I don't think I have ever seen a game about the Soviet Union's war in Afghanistan, although I'm sure there are some.

You were right to be sure...

The Siege of Orgun is set in this conflict and it is EXCELLENT!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Maes
Belgium
Mechelen
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
There's this local medieval civil war that lasted for 20 years (1139-1159) which decided who would rule the duchy of Brabant in the Low Countries. As far as I was able to find there was 1 (one) university dissertation written on it - 100 years ago. I managed to acquire a digital copy of it and plan to make a wargame out of it .. someday.

uitstel is afstel...

DO IT !!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dommy_Hui Dommy_Hui
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
I have not seen any tactical level simulations for attacks by Irish Republican Army back in 1920s. I am in fact reading some books and doing some preparatory work and see if I can work on this (I am new on game design, and just want to try).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Weiler
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
myrmex wrote:
I feel that China in the 1930s/40s is very underrepresented given the huge scale of events and numbers of deaths. Or may be I haven't looked hard enough, is there a COIN treatment of the subject, as that would seem perfect?

Regarding Chinese history the 1930/40s are probably the only period that is covered quite regularly [Out of the top of my head: War of the Suns, Storm Over Taierzhuang, Growling Tigers: The Battle for Changde, 1943, 800 Heroes: Defense of Sihang Warehouse, Battle for China, China Incident, Pacific Battles: Shanghai, Shanghai Incident 1932, etc].

The Chinese Taiping Uprising on the other hand (biggest civil war in human history, way more deaths than in the entire 1st World War) - one Magazine game. Given the scale I thinks it's fair to say that this conflict is clearly underrepresented.

But that's pretty much the case with all of Chinese history before the 2nd Sino-Japanese war. There are some games in Japanese and Chinese magazines but in the "West" there is sadly very little available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kerethar wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:

uitstel is afstel...

DO IT !!!!

Maybe for the next PnP challenge ... if you want to Google it, they're called the "Grimbergse Oorlogen" - and the city you're from was on the losing side
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Westie wrote:
polate wrote:
oivind22 wrote:

God bless S&T

The Siege of Orgun

Cold War Battles 2: Kabul '79 & Pentomic Wurzburg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
when this topic pops up Ill always choose the great siege of malta of 1565 any day. There are 2 games in the works about it and only a magazine game published.devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.