Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Co-ops in general, but haven't really found my perfect one yet, as I find most of them are a little too short. I know I can do an advanced search by game length, but many of the reported lengths for coops seem long (90 minutes for Pandemic?). Here is what I would love to find, ranked by importance.

1. Longer Gameplay: Would prefer at least an hour, up to 120 minutes.

2. Variable Setup: My favorite part of Pandemic Legacy (spoiler free) is that it better then most games forced you to adapt to the setup. You would setup that game randomly, and then the players had to decide which characters to play, which cards to put in the deck, and which objectives to go for. A lot of coops settle for "the event cards are in a slightly different order."

3. I don't like perfect knowledge coops where each decision is a group decision. I know that many will want to recommend Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island, but it is a terrible offender in this camp.

4. Prefer no traitor.

Any suggestions appreciated. I am curious about Black Orchestra if anyone got to demo it at Gen Con.

EDIT: changed coop to Co op. What I get for typing on my phone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Looking for a longer coop
Have you looked at Eldritch Horror? Well rated, it's on the longer end, with 2 hours being more the minimum. If you get some expansions there should be substantial variety in the gameplay, though may or may not be the kind of variety you are seeking. As for perfect information, there is enough randomness and autonomy that I don't think people would get bossed around too much. Worth checking out, though may not be what you are looking for.

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game is another pretty interesting one. Play time fits the bill, and it calls itself "meta-cooperative" where everyone works together, but players have hidden objectives to win (not necessarily traitorous ones).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting
badge
and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game will likely get recommended a lot, and it should, because it is awesome.

Eldritch Horror is another solid suggestion, although this may fall into your 'perfect knowledge' category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who said coop?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bugeeker wrote:
Have you looked at Eldritch Horror? Well rated, it's on the longer end, with 2 hours being more the minimum. If you get some expansions there should be substantial variety in the gameplay, though may or may not be the kind of variety you are seeking. As for perfect information, there is enough randomness and autonomy that I don't think people would get bossed around too much. Worth checking out, though may not be what you are looking for.

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game is another pretty interesting one. Play time fits the bill, and it calls itself "meta-cooperative" where everyone works together, but players have hidden objectives to win (not necessarily traitorous ones).

I like Eldritch Horror. My brother owns it though, and I play it with him on occasion, so I don't feel the need to own it. Nice suggestion though. DoW never really clicked with me.

emodiu5 wrote:
Mage Knight Board Game will likely get recommended a lot, and it should, because it is awesome.

I wanted to really like Mage Knight, but it just wasn't for me, and I think it really should be competitive anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
KissellMissile wrote:
bugeeker wrote:

I like Eldritch Horror. My brother owns it though, and I play it with him on occasion, so I don't feel the need to own it. Nice suggestion though. DoW never really clicked with me.

Well, you've got the ancestor of 'Eldritch Horror', too - Arkham Horror. It's basically the source game that 'Eldritch Horror' simplified and streamlined, so...more fiddly, and longer play time.

Another possibility might be Mice and Mystics or one of the D&D boardgames, such as Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game. These are basically RPGs, with the game system itself acting as a DM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
klopu lamar
Greece
flag msg tools
i recently bought Eldritch Horror and i love it!i would recommend it to anyone who likes co-op games!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a different ball of wax, but
The Lord of the Rings the Card Game is exceptional.
(But it's habit forming and becomes a lifestyle!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
msg tools
My wife and I didn't care for Mage Knight at all (the theme) but we love Star Trek Frontiers for its coop gameplay. And extremely long, varied and amazing game! Definitely check it out. Also in a similar vein Star Trek Panic is a great bit of fun. Lastly XCOM is another really solid coop entry that is always a blast to play and takes around two hours. I would really recommend any of those as they are our go to games.

If you were open to the traitor element Battlestar Galactica is our favourite game to play and is mostly cooperative, except for those fracking Cylons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Ghost
badge
Can't You See That You're Lost Without Me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Defenders of the Realm might be worth tracking down. It does have a deck similar to Pandemic where most cards will probably come out over the course of the game, but there are also cards in it that cause you to reshuffle the decks, and those can come up at any time.

I recently played Mansions of Madness: Second Edition, and if you're not too averse to the use of the app, I think this game could be just what you're looking for. Without spoiling anything, I played the intro scenario twice last night, and after the first game, I felt like I knew what I needed to do to win. The app ended up totally throwing us for a loop, and we ended up losing twice in a row because of how drastically the board changed. Both games took about 3 hours with 2p, but we can be on the slow side at times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bruno
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
From what I have played, I would put suggest Dead Men Tell No Tales. Pirate game of raiding a burning ship, fighting skeleton pirates and looting treasure

1. Longer Gameplay: box says just over an hour, with my group it takes about two hours to play, we get distracted easily

2. Variable Setup: The ship is built up with tiles as you play so the layout will be different each time

3. I don't like perfect knowledge coops: dice rolling and random draws or cards/tiles means you can try and predict what might be coming, but you never know for sure. because luck comes into it, there is no way to look at the board and "know" what is the right thing to do.

4. Prefer no traitor; no traitor, you are all in it together to the bitter end. even if you get the win condition of looting enough treasure, you still lose if you don't get everyone off the boat safely
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a chance to play the second edition of Mansions of Madness over the weekend and really enjoyed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assault on Doomrock.

Fits several of your criteria. It is long, though a bit more than 120 minutes. We usually run to just under 3 hours. Definitely variable setup. Each player gets a different hero, out of 8 or so. You travel to a range of different locations, and fight different battles. Definitely no traitor either.

Where it falls down is the group decision. The game consists of alternating travel and battle phases, and travel is done as a group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ober
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Eldritch Horror, you might take a look at Mansions of Madness: Second Edition. I've only played once, but it even the short scenario ran about 90-120 minutes, and the longer ones advertise quite a bit longer, and all the folks we played with really enjoyed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics would be my suggestion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:

Another possibility might be Mice and Mystics or one of the D&D boardgames, such as Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game. These are basically RPGs, with the game system itself acting as a DM.

Similar to Mice and Mystics there is also Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition), Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients, Shadows of Brimstone: Swamps of Death, Myth, Gloomhaven (which is shipping to KS Backers in October), Massive Darkness which is going to be a long time before it's actually released but you can late back on the campaign page, and Zombicide: Black Plague which is another CMON property and widely available.

For a really quick co-op filler I highly recommend The Grizzled. Considering the fact the game rules limit the amount of table talk it's definitely not a "perfect knowledge co-op"

Dungeon Dwellers takes about an hour if I recall. It's actually semi co-op but we've always just played it as full co-op. There's some user submitted rules variations on the game's BGG page to make the game work better as a full co-op.

I believe A Study in Emerald is also sort of co-op. I believe it's sort of team play with a high traitor factor.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Presley
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Defenders of the Realm. It was my first thought when I read the post. Variable set up and deck mechanism is very similar to Pandemic. P,us, it's just a great game!

I love Dead Men Tell No Tales, and it is another good suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pixelman wrote:
+1 for Defenders of the Realm. It was my first thought when I read the post. Variable set up and deck mechanism is very similar to Pandemic. P,us, it's just a great game!

I love Dead Men Tell No Tales, and it is another good suggestion.

Dead Men Tell No Tales definitely fits the variable setup you are looking for. Not sure if the game play is as long as you want, but it is a really good co-op.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
morris9597 wrote:
XanderF wrote:

Similar to Mice and Mystics there is also Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition), Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients, Shadows of Brimstone: Swamps of Death, Myth, Gloomhaven (which is shipping to KS Backers in October), Massive Darkness which is going to be a long time before it's actually released but you can late back on the campaign page, and Zombicide: Black Plague which is another CMON property and widely available.

For a really quick co-op filler I highly recommend The Grizzled. Considering the fact the game rules limit the amount of table talk it's definitely not a "perfect knowledge co-op"

Dungeon Dwellers takes about an hour if I recall. It's actually semi co-op but we've always just played it as full co-op. There's some user submitted rules variations on the game's BGG page to make the game work better as a full co-op.

I believe A Study in Emerald is also sort of co-op. I believe it's sort of team play with a high traitor factor.

Hah. A Study in Emerald is my favorite game, but it is far, far from coop. Not interested in anything with a GM. I am interested in checking out Black Plague though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Would Sentinels of the Multiverse and Aeon's End do for you? I'm not sure they will be long enough, but at least, no traitor, plenty of replayability, and you can just adjust the cooperation to what you like - no talking, to fully shared info.

And they're both very good and entertaining games. Aeon's End is especially good at making you feel like you're working as a group. It's just not out yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hibbert
msg tools
Legends of Andor! But keep in mind it's a puzzle game, not a kill dudes on a map game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Would Sentinels of the Multiverse and Aeon's End do for you? I'm not sure they will be long enough, but at least, no traitor, plenty of replayability, and you can just adjust the cooperation to what you like - no talking, to fully shared info.

And they're both very good and entertaining games. Aeon's End is especially good at making you feel like you're working as a group. It's just not out yet.

I love SoM. I like how it kills the alpha player by hiding information, not randomness. My only complaint is I really only like it with 3 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KissellMissile wrote:
morris9597 wrote:
XanderF wrote:

Hah. A Study in Emerald is my favorite game, but it is far, far from coop. Not interested in anything with a GM. I am interested in checking out Black Plague though.

None of the games listed require a GM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
morris9597 wrote:
KissellMissile wrote:
morris9597 wrote:
XanderF wrote:

I forgot about the new Descent app. I though Mice and Mystics did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KissellMissile wrote:
morris9597 wrote:
KissellMissile wrote:
morris9597 wrote:
XanderF wrote:

I forgot about the new Descent app. I though Mice and Mystics did.

Nope!!! I wouldn't ever play it if it required one ;-) I don't get the idea of someone who doesn't actually play! hahah

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.