Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Finn Balor
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
Hi,

So I was just a bit curious to see how different people log plays for games that contain multiple versions or editions etc.

Here are a couple of scenarios that I was wondering about

1. If I own Pandemic Legacy, but use the components to play base Pandemic(this was before I started playing any legacy games), should I log those plays under Pandemic or Pandemic Legacy?

2. If I own Carcassonne Big Box 2, but only use the base game tiles to play a game of Carcassonne, under which of the two game entries should I log a play

Similar questions can be asked for any games that contain different/previous editions of said game.

Sounds like we need a poll

Poll
If you use the components from one version of a game (Pandemic Legacy for example) to play a different version of the game (Pandemic), which version should the play be logged under?
Which version should the play be logged under?
The version from which components were used
The other version which was actually played
      25 answers
Poll created by thisisnotme

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I use a soccer ball to play basketball, have I played soccer?

Pete (thinks you rate the game you actually played)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
No... but I'm not entirely sure you've played basketball either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finn Balor
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
plezercruz wrote:

Well, you're comparing two completely separate games, so I'm not sure I get your point.

Sure, if I use the components of Carcassonne to somehow play Jenga, then yes, i would log a play of Jenga, not Carcassonne.

But comparing Pandemic and Pandemic Legacy or Carcassonne big box to Carcassone is slightly different than your example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Miller
United States
Britton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's for your benefit so log it the way you think it should be. Based on what you said it seemed pretty clear what version you were intending to play.

I stopped logging my plays pretty quickly after joining BGG. Didn't see the point. That would solve all your problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thisisnotme wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

Well, you're comparing two completely separate games, so I'm not sure I get your point.

Sure, if I use the components of Carcassonne to somehow play Jenga, then yes, i would log a play of Jenga, not Carcassonne.

But comparing Pandemic and Pandemic Legacy or Carcassonne big box to Carcassone is slightly different than your example.
I disagree with almost everything you've said here. If you used Carcassonne to play by the rules of Jenga, you did not in fact play Jenga, because Jenga's components are actually critical to the gameplay of Jenga (see Bryan's witty comment regarding basketball).

But if you use flavored tic tacs instead of cubes to play Pandemic, you have not fundamentally altered the game of Pandemic, because these are merely representative tokens, not fundamental rule changes.

Pete (thinks the aesthethics of the components are not relevant to which game you played)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcajenga!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say just log them how ever you want. If you ask here on the geek you will get about 50 different answers on how others might do it.
It might depend on what you are using your logged play info for.

If you played Carcassonne with 2 expansions you could mark it as played under Carcassonne and under each expansion. This will show you having 3 plays though. So if you are tracking plays to see how many games you are actually playing then this might not be a good ideal.

I usually just figure out how I am going to log plays for a particular game and then do it that way. Some games like railways of the world I log my plays by which map I play. Some games I just log the base game even though I have expansions like Dominion for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.