Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The main reason I didn't back this the first time it came around was the components. Games can no longer get away with just colored cubes and discs, especially a thematic game like SotN. I hope to see some nicer markers when it re-launches in August.

Edit: I changed the thread title to be a bit more neutral and fair to the designer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Re: Still sporting cubes and discs?
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Games can no longer get away with just colored cubes and discs...

"Get away with"? There was a time we played games for the joy of playing, not fondling overproduced miniatures that push the cost through the roof.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a light game... so why would we want a $75 price tag with fancy miniatures that required a larger board and all that?

No I think it will stay $40 and wood cubes.

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Stoltzfus
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys are right, but I think he touched on something that's in the back of everybody's head when they see a thematic game using generic wooden bits. I mean, look at the success of Midgard vs Blood Rage. Maybe there's some middle ground between cubes and minis? Not saying he's right, just saying it's worth considering the possibility that the components are holding it back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gorman
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Wallenstein and El Grande both have done well with wooden bits, and those are the type of games the play of the prototype reminded me the most of. I don't want to fiddle with stacks of minis or tokens in a region. (Well, maybe I could be talked into tokens).

This thread is the first I've heard of it re-launching. Excited .

Lower price point is definitely better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zara Thustra

Ithaca
New York
msg tools
mbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Games can no longer get away with just colored cubes and discs, especially a thematic game

There are certainly people who love plastic minis. Those folks explain the success and buzz around games like Blood Rage and Cthulu Wars, etc. There's nothing wrong with that, if that is what you like.

But there are lots of great, highly thematic games that look great and use wooden pieces, not minis and not plastic. Pandemic wouldn't be better with plastic microbes. El Grande and Wallenstein are further examples.

Also be aware preferences vary. There are those who actually prefer wooden components over plastic. I am one of those people. I would rather play Dynasty than Sun Tzu, because it is a smaller package with lower price and I actually much prefer the look. I actively avoid games with plastic minis because they look and feel childish to me... like toys, not games for grown ups about serious topics (but that's just my own preference). When I play games, I usually like a realistic, serious tone and feel, or something whimsical, not a cartoonish or video-game look. To me, minis also just don't look very good unless you paint them, which people like me have no interest in doing.

It all really comes down to the aesthetic and the target demographics a game is going for. Take a game like Polis: Fight for Hegemony, for example. Plastic minis would not fit the look and feel. In fact, it would look gaudy. Or how about Napoleon's Triumph. Then you have games like the beautifully designed and produced Magnates that has wooden components, but some of those are custom shaped meeple-like pieces which is a nice balance I think. Looks awesome!

That brings me to what may be the real gripe of people who are in the "I hate wooden cubes/discs" camp: that the components feel generic for a game that is otherwise thematic and engrossing. OK, I see the point even though I don't necessarily feel that way myself. To that end, look at games like Manhattan Project: Energy Empire (wooden cubes, yes, but also lightening bolts, oil drums, etc) or
Race to the Rhine (little wooden trucks, oil drums, ammo boxes, and food cans). The custom bits are great! They look and feel awesome and thematic and without being little plastic minis that are prone to breaking.

So, I think wooden cubes and discs, while generic, work well for some games. It keeps costs down (but production value high) for games where the margins might be tighter and they look nice (to me) in comparison to plastic bits. But, it clearly doesn't have to be a battle between generic wooden bits vs plastic minis.

Personally, I love what the newer version of Mexicadid with it's use of resin temples. They look real, and you think they are made of stone until you pick them up. Hope to see more games do this.

But, to each their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made no mention of plastic minis, only cubes and discs. Some of my favorite components are those found in Viticulture, which are all wood.

Generic components are fine for abstract games, but this is a theme-heavy experience. I backed The Manhattan Project: Energy Empire and love the custom wood components, and I think this game would be much more appealing with the same treatment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, the biggest issue/reason is that this game already failed to fund on Kickstarter and so obviously it's audience isn't as great as we'd like it to be - but more importantly, it's not going to go over 1500 backers which is must if we even remotely consider custom bits.

So, it's a little bit of a catch 22 - but I don't think minis would make the game appeal to 1500+ more people to back it and we'd still have a huge cost and delay in doing that.

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gorman
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Just to clarify, is it actually on kickstarter again? Cause I couldn't find it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope to get it posted on Kickstarter this month yet. Sorry for the delay just too many things on my plate to want to pile on yet one more right now. MP Energy Empire is just about to get on the boat so it's time...

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gorman
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
No problem, I'd be disappointed if I missed it, that's all . I've occasionally lost track of other projects till a bit too late.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Visit our website and get on our mailing list

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.