$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
38.1% of Goal | 26 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Cry Havoc» Forums » Rules

Subject: What happens in 2-3 player games if all Trog figures are eliminated in combat? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the player acting for the Trogs place a War Party token in a region won by the Trogs if they are all wiped out in combat? As a follow-up, does the player place a War Party token in an adjacent uncontrolled region if the Trogs lose the region control combat and all of their figures are wiped out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
True Player for Real
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this game, but what an incomplete rule book. Unfortunate.

My prediction would be yes to the first one, but no to the second. Looking forward to the actual answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is unfortunate that the rulebook is full of gaping holes. I find the game unplayable out of the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MDJD wrote:
Does the player acting for the Trogs place a War Party token in a region won by the Trogs if they are all wiped out in combat? As a follow-up, does the player place a War Party token in an adjacent uncontrolled region if the Trogs lose the region control combat and all of their figures are wiped out?

Hi Thomas --

If the region is won by the trogs, place an Orange token as if they were retreating. Even if they are eliminated.

If all figures are eliminated, they do not retreat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MDJD wrote:
It is unfortunate that the rulebook is full of gaping holes. I find the game unplayable out of the box.

I'm sorry you're frustrated. We're finalizing an FAQ with some of these content questions clarified, but in the meantime, and always, you can post here, Geekmail me, or email me at Grant@hyperbolegames.com. Though, the forums are preferred as others can see the answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:
MDJD wrote:

I'm sorry you're frustrated. We're finalizing an FAQ with some of these content questions clarified, but in the meantime, and always, you can post here, Geekmail me, or email me at Grant@hyperbolegames.com. Though, the forums are preferred as others can see the answers.

I do very much appreciate the fact that you're so active on the forums, but I really wish these issues were addressed in the rulebook.

In any case, thanks for the help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MDJD wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:
MDJD wrote:

I do very much appreciate the fact that you're so active on the forums, but I really wish these issues were addressed in the rulebook.

In any case, thanks for the help.

Our goal is always 100% clarity. Unfortunately, everyone learns differently, everyone interprets language differently, and asymmetrical games have a lot of content. Not making excuses! We have work to do, and we're doing it. But, it's a challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh Will be happy to see the FAQ!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian K
msg tools
Grant- this is a brilliant game. I am not sure why others are struggling so much. I found the instructions to actually be perfectly clear with a single exception. I can't find anywhere that it says when Trogs win areas control in a 2-3 player game that the trogs are actually removed from the game. That is the case according to the unofficial FAQ. Do you agree? It does say you drop a nest, but doesn't say they go back to the reserve. This game rocketed into my top five after picking it up at Gen Con. The way I describe this to friends is that this is the bastard child that would happen if Mage Knight (favorite game ever), Blood Rage (2nd favorite game ever), and Starcraft (no explanation needed) had a kid together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2Hammer wrote:
Grant- this is a brilliant game. I am not sure why others are struggling so much. I found the instructions to actually be perfectly clear with a single exception. I can't find anywhere that it says when Trogs win areas control in a 2-3 player game that the trogs are actually removed from the game. That is the case according to the unofficial FAQ. Do you agree? It does say you drop a nest, but doesn't say they go back to the reserve. This game rocketed into my top five after picking it up at Gen Con. The way I describe this to friends is that this is the bastard child that would happen if Mage Knight (favorite game ever), Blood Rage (2nd favorite game ever), and Starcraft (no explanation needed) had a kid together.

The instructions are NOT perfectly clear. The amount of material in the FAQ and the number of rules questions here on BGG are testament to that fact.

That doesn't mean the game isn't good...I quite like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
2Hammer wrote:

Hi Brian, thanks for the kind words. It's totally fine that others are confused. As I noted elsewhere, everyone learns differently, there are a few cases where we could have been more explicit, it happens. Besides, I'm happy to answer folks here and interact 1:1!

I still haven't played blood Rage, amusingly. I hear the Mage Knight comparisons b/c I LOVE multi-use cards. Joel Eddy made that comparison too.

As for your question:
If the Trogs win Territory Control in 2-3 players, remove the minis, and replace with an orange Trog Nest token. Return the minis to the reserve.

Have a good one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also agree that the rules for this game do have a lot of holes in them, in that they don't address a lot of conditions that can occur. Aside from that though, the game seems really cool. played a 3 player game tonight and we all enjoyed it, but it was very clunky as we kept having to look stuff up and make rulings. I'm looking through these forums now and have found a lot of answers to my questions. I plan on adding notes in my rulebooks (yes BOOKS - for some reason my copy came with three english rule books!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
Wait, so if Trogs win a battle in 2-3p, they get the Nest AND the leftover minis? Dang, that's a lotta Trogs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Joou wrote:
Wait, so if Trogs win a battle in 2-3p, they get the Nest AND the leftover minis? Dang, that's a lotta Trogs.

No. You remove all Trog minis after every battle in 2-3 player games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.