BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Game of Thronesy Game that doesn't take more than 3 hours? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
New Castle
Delaware
flag msg tools
I'm tossing up between Rex and Fief 1429.
I'm worried Fief might be too luck based and turn into a flux situation.
Rex might be too long. Feel like it could turn into a mainly combat thing. Not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Game of Thrones: The Card Game or A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition) perhaps? I suggest the dead former in case you don't want to buy into the whole living money pit of the latter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JE SUIS VENU. J'AI VU. JE SUIS PARTI.
msg tools
colmmccarthy wrote:

Yes. Games take 30-60 minutes, and it's VERY Thronesy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lucasbrooks wrote:
colmmccarthy wrote:

Yes. Games take 30-60 minutes, and it's VERY Thronesy.

Our games go about 90 mins (3-4 player) but yes, very Thronesy indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Rex once. Took 4 hours for a full 8 rounds 6 player. I thought it was a great game.

Mare Nostrum: Empires maybe what you are looking for

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to BGG, you can play Warrior Knights in 3 hours. I'm sure that is subject to player count and group style.

For a filler game, I've had several friends say they feel a game that captures the multiparty conflict well is Condottiere

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have warrior knights. We use the expansion and the king varient (play to more vp) and a 3 player game takes us 5 hours. Granted we have one ap prone player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon DeSmet
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Multiplayer wargames can vary in play time a lot depending on how much the people at the table 'negotiate'.

You do lose something with the shorter games as they tend not to be quite as rich as the 2.5-4 hour games like A Game of Thrones or Rex. The reality is you are either going to get a more pure negotiation game or a more pure war game

Cyclades - should come in around 90mins, not a vast amount of diplomacy though, mostly bidding.

Cosmic Encounter (90mins)- doesn't look like a wargame, though it is very much a negotiation game with a fair amount of screwage. The theme is very different but i'd say this is probably your best bet unless you want to fight over a map. Fantasy Flight are reskinning it to A Game of Thrones later this year.

Pax Pamir - 90min, rather esoteric and takes quite a few games for it to really click, but there is negotiation and plenty of murder.

Shogun (the Dirk Henn game) -120-180min, perhaps a bit longer than what you want. Its a little lighter on negotiation than AGOT but it is a really really solid multiplayer conflict game. Lots of ways to turn the tables on your adversaries.

West mentioned Condottiere - its a really good game, but more of a bluff card game. You can screw the other players over though.

A Game of Thrones the Card Game - This is a cardgame, you can play with 4 and it does have some buff selection mechanics but its not a heavy negotiation game and unsurprisingly it plays like a Magic inspired game.

Intrigue - this is a short 30-60min card game that can end friendships. Not a wargame in any sense, but if you want the bitter hatred and backstabbing as seen on TV this is a pretty good bet.

Chaos in the Old World - excellent quick wargame (90mins) but again less diplomacy, more game mechanics.

A Game of Thrones the boardgame with FEAST OF CROWS EXPANSION - only takes 4 players, but is a much better game than the vanilla boardgame. Uses hidden objective cards and gets rid of the zero sum victory conditions. In my experience this plays a little quicker than the regular game and can come in under 3 hours.

Warrior Knights has a reputation amongst some i know for being long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Castle
Delaware
flag msg tools
Thanks a lot for the replies everyone. I decided to go with Game of Thrones the card game but I forsee I will get a few of these recommended games in the next few years.
Thank you for the deep analysis Simon. I heard that in A Game of Thrones with the Feast of Crows expansion the negotiation element is lost or is very weak. What are your thoughts on that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.