$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
41.7% of Goal | left

Support:

Steven Goodell

Aurora
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, dear forum'ers!... my name is Steve Goodell, also known by the moniker 'The Gamesman', here at The One-Sided Die (also our name here at BGG); a small as-yet micro-galactic empire that I am building alongside my wonderful wife, and future Queen of the Galaxy, Jessica.

So, I just wanted to make a quick drop-in while I work on the review for Mystic Vale (due later this week), as well as looks at the Carl Critchlow, the Paul Bonner, and the Karl Kopinski Guest Artist boxes (maybe this week, maybe next)... to take a look at the release for Zombicide: Black Plague: 'Hero Box 1', a group of 5 new heroes ready to party with your base set group.

Zombicide: Black Plague Hero Box 1
•Publisher: Cool Mini Or Not/Guillotine Games
•Release: June 24th, 2016
•Add-on for Zombicide: Black Plague
•Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish

Digging right in, as you can see on the box, it contains 5 new heroes, and once excavated; 2 dashboards, 2 more colors of bases for the mini's, their associated color of pegs, as well as a small stack of hero ID cards and starting equipment in 6 different languages (now THAT's taking an extra step... thanks for the worldliness CMON/GG).

Quite a haul for $20 (although you may be hard pressed to find a box at this time, unless you are willing to pay more than that). Okay, so, here are the heroes that you will be adding to your core band of hard-fighting, zombie-slaying adventurers;

A good collection altogether; a pirate captain, a fallen noble, a callous thief, a dwarf warrior, and a battle priest. These are your somewhat-standard adventurers, but still vary from the original base-game sculpts, and offer the same level of quality and detail.

By way of comparison, the upcoming guest artists series are looking quite, well, *wow*... if a bit more fantastical sculpts (in some) is your thing.

I have to say though, two more female adventurers is always a plus, as well as a few more unique skills among the adventurers giving you more options in play... And as a point of hosting a game night, it is always a plus to have a wide-ranging selection of characters for your guests to choose from .

The mini's are, as per CMON standard, wonderfully detailed and well-designed in a resin(-like?) material... and each one is highly differentiated from the other in look, as well as offering an amount of dynamism in pose.

I dig (and dig, sometimes) so you don't have to... so, now for a little background on our beloved, daring adventurers, straight from the Guillotine Games website;

“I only LOOK fat.”

Lord Arnaud was a petty noble, without lands of his own, the son of a wealthy merchant and famous explorer. As such, he mingled in the upper echelons of society, yet always chafed at the lack of a title. Fortune favored him when he chanced to snare the hand of a destitute count’s daughter. It was a win for everyone. He got his title, and she got his money. Alas for Arnaud, he was only one week married when the zombie hordes descended on the kingdom. Determined not to let a lifetime of effort go to waste, Arnaud has decided not to flee with his family, and has taken up arms against the undead menace.

"Did you call me a GIRL?”

Glynda comes from the Battlestout clan, a large family of warriors, and every one of them learned from an early age how to fight. Humans might look down on dwarves – that’s easy to do when you only come up to most humans’ chests – but they don’t look down on her for very long. And nobody calls her «girl» more than once.

Glynda has three advantages over the humans fighting the zombies: one, she’s more durable than most of them; two, she has been combat-trained her whole life; and three, the zombies’ mouths are a lot farther away from her.

“That one looks like it might have some gold. I’ll take care of it.”

Julian was doing pretty well for himself. The cities were growing full and fat, and a fat city is a great place for someone who lives by skimming off the top. A few coins here, a jewel or two there, and you are living like a king and working about as much as an alley cat. Julian had a great life – and then the zombies overran the cities. It’s hard to pick the pocket of a brainless monster. So first, he has to kill them. Then he can steal from them. And, on the bright side, the zombies never report his crimes to the city watch.

“Sometimes, if I’m lucky, they try to run away before I kill them.”

Captain Sylvia Samedi is a sharp one. She’s always had to be. She ran away from home as a child and signed up with a pirate ship bound for warmer places. By the time the «ship’s boy» turned out to be a girl, she’d proven herself capable; by the time the zombies started menacing the mainland, she’d been captain of her own ship for a year. You can’t steal from people if there’s nothing left, and Captain Sylvia encountered more than a couple ships sailed by dead people. She’ll end them all, if she can, and smile while she does it.

“Salvation is about faith. And an axe. Well, more axe than faith. In fact, it’s pretty much the axe.”

There is more than one way to protect your flock, and the Father Tucker knows almost all of them. The bodies must be saved so that the souls may be saved, after all, and in a time of rampaging armies as well as monstrous necromancers, Tucker has learned to use all of the weapons at his disposal to protect his flock. Bandits, heathens, zombies – all would be wise to fear Father Tucker, for he will do everything he can to stop them, and his ax is as strong as his faith.

And there you have it; our 5 new skillful, zombie-slaying heroes come to the bloody streets of whatever fictional East/West, European-type, country this game takes place in... somewhere down the road from Wulfsburg from what I hear...

A happy, grand week to all! Huzzah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not into zombies, don't care for them at all, not my cup of tea.

But as I saw the miniatures and imagined the joy to be had painting them I got interested, and it helps that my youngest will for sure enjoy this.

So I went and bought the base game and than went slightly overboard and bought everything else that was available.
Yeah I know, serious short circuit, for sure.

Went of the expansion, got all the monster packs and am thinking about them doors. they sure look prity.

I didn't go for the special guest things as I reckoned/ understood you can only have so many heroes and I can imagine them just gathering dust while we use our favorites.

Also didn't get this hero pack, as it was not available at first, but now it is.
Now I wonder if there is any point in getting it.
As I understand you only use so many heroes and I reckon there are enough in the box[es]
So won't these not simply stand on the shelf watching the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kat Horton
Australia
WA
flag msg tools
But that is why its good to take a look at their stats and such before you commit to buy. That way you have an idea if anyone (yourself included) WOULD want to play them over the starter characters. At least that's why I'm here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the end I didn't go for this set.
Figured that for the next year, the heroes in base and expansion would keep me busy.

Besides I wouldn't want to enter the new year without any 'wants' on my list.

So I'll save this one as a possible buy, together with them fancy doors.

Received my order yesterday and sniffing the boxes it all looks great and it will be a long wait till Christmas when I'll finally get to open the boxes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.