Subject: Is a hole in the wall a door? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Vetter
Denmark
Hilleroed
flag msg tools
Hey,

Is a rectangular hole in the wall with no pictured door actually a door?
By the rules reference I'm inclined to answer yes, but is that really correct? Why then depict doors on some openings and not others????
Are there doors when none are painted (that is in doorways without an actual door)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
magikerendk wrote:
Is a rectangular hole in the wall with no pictured door actually a door?
By the rules reference I'm inclined to answer yes, but is that really correct? Why then depict doors on some openings and not others????
Are there doors when none are painted (that is in doorways without an actual door)?

The artwork on the tile is really "fluff", it's really just decoration.

What matters is if there is a WALL (solid brown lines) or some sort of BORDER (solid white lines, solid yellow lines) or IMPASSABLE BORDERS (dashed white or yellow lines).

If there is a gap (with no dashed/solid white/yellow lines) in the thick solid brown wall, then it's a door. It doesn't matter if the artwork shows a door or not.

It might help if you gave an example of a tile which may or may not contain a door.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
I can think of only two tiles (see EDIT below) that I might question if there is a door there or not.

The first is the large tile from 2nd Ed, "Dining Room / Kitchen"
and
The second is the small tile from 1st Ed, "Secret Passage"

The first tile "Dining Room / Kitchen" has a yellow border and a dashed yellow border.
I can see the argument that there are (or are not) two doors in the middle of this tile, separating the Dining Room and Kitchen.

As far as I can see, the only reason there's a solid yellow line separating the two rooms is to show that there isn't a door in this location. If there was a door, then there would be no need to have a yellow (or white) line at all. The yellow line doesn't block range and doesn't block movement.

Same with the dashed yellow line. It's there to show that it's an impassable border but that it's not a door. Therefore it doesn't block Range but it does block movement.

I think the above is correct. Will need to think about it a bit more but at the moment it seems to make sense otherwise there seems little point in this tile having these solid and dashed yellow lines.

The second tile "Secret Passage", has a white line.
Since this tile has only one room name (Secret Passage) then the white line just separates the room into two spaces. There isn't a door in the middle of the tile but there are three doors on the perimeter of the tile.

EDIT: There are a few other tiles that might come into question, they have yellow solid or dashed lines but the above still seems to hold true.
i.e. Pier / Snack Shack. The Snack Shack has one door and a "window" which isn't a door but an impassable barrier (that doesn't block Range but it does block movement).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Miller
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look slosely at the tiles. In my first game what I though were "holes in the wall" were actually just very dark doors that I didnt notice until later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.