Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » Variants

Subject: Mine Effects rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anders Petersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
So I read an interesting idea from a fellow Boardgamergeek member (Scott Laman) who suggested Targa should have variable weather effect cards.

It got me thinking, wouldn't it be an interesting addition to alter the effect of the Mines, so you won't always be in a Mine with the same No Effects status.

So at the start of an adventure, you draw a card and see what kind of Mine you have found.

It could be a Mine of plenty, when you roll a 6 on a Scavenge attempt you can choose to draw 2 Scavenge Cards instead of one and choose which to use, but for every Nothing here revealed the Hero then takes D6 Horror Hits.

Another example could be a night cycle mine, where when the Darkness reach step five, night has come and all Undead/Vampire/Werewolf monsters become tougher.

We have so many Mine missions, that this could be an exciting tweak IMO.
I know that there are plenty of Encounter Cards, but having a few cards for status effects in the Mines would really make the adventures a bit more fun/challenging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm moving my response from the other post. Thanks for pulling the rug out from under me.

I would love to take the idea of the final adventure room to the next level. And really work on the environments in the mine. Sort of something that combines the Badlands with the quest where you return the idol to Jargono.

I'm thinking you can customize your room deck to bring in 3 rooms with water sources and shuffle that together with 9 other room cards. For a mission those rooms will have special effects. Like maybe you're hunting something that is fleeing down a water source, or you are discovering why the towns water supply is tainted, so instead of just boring old objectives, you would have to do x on y map tile. Maybe the water source leads you to a gate to jargono and the water is gushing through the gate and polluting and corrupting the land.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Petersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think it might become too much to keep track on, but if done right it could also be a great addition to your regular adventures.

You could make a side mission deck of cards, giving you a side mission objective in addition to your regular mission and if you complete it you get a boost in the adventure, but if you don't you get a penalty.

Like you draw a card, giving you a side mission, using your idea for the water sources and if you complete x on y map tile each hero draw a loot card but if you fail to complete the side mission, the Town has D3 less stores due to water shortage or something of the like.

It is important just to remember not to deviate too much for the mission objective, but introducing this system as a sort of a side mission along with the regular mission could also be an interesting tweak to your adventures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MT Dav

Maryland
msg tools
Look in the files section for the environmental horrors cards someone made. There are 50-ish cards and some of them modify the basic conditions of the mines just like you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Laman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like all that, it seems like it would give much deeper purpose as opposed to the find 3 nameless "clues". It sounds like you have some nice custom missions and twists on the existing ones brewing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.