Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, I have the base game and the Rising Tide expansion...but when setting up how many of each type of tile (building and victory) do I use? (i'm assuming we don't use them all)...

I have the tiles separated into "suggested" 2-player, 3/4-player and 5-player piles, so:

- when playing with 2 players how many (total) bldg. tiles should I randomly start with (all the 2-player)? and how many of the VP tiles?

- when playing with 3-4 players how many (total) bldg. tiles (a mix of 2p and 3-4p i assume) should I randomly start with? and how many of the VP tiles?

- when playing with 5 players how many (total) bldg. tiles (a mix of 2p, 3/4p, 5p?) should I randomly start with? and how many of the VP tiles?

thanks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Same problem here. While preparing a building usage chart I think this is what I found:

- 8 action buildings with 2 players
- 16 action buildings with 3-4 Players.
- 20 action buildings with 5 players
- Playing solo: optionally add Turner's Mill (= 9/17/21 action buildings)

- Use 4 VP buildings in any case
- With 5 players add 1 VP building

This tallies with the themed combinations proposed in Rising Tide if you assume that "3+" means "3 or 4", and that you add 4 buildings of your choice when playing with 5 players.

I agree that this is laid down in a somewhat confusing manner. Probably reflects historical New Bedford building laws

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add a question and thoughts of my own: When playing solo, do the prefereed buildings of the Captain(s) have to be in the mix?
Answer: Probably not, as in a 2-player game at least you just cannot add them all, there are too many preferred buildings listed on the Captain's board.

But how many do you add, and which? Because that can change the Captain's chances of winning. If they cannot build, most Captains (except Stubb) will choose alternative actions, so by denying them their prefereed buildings you can more or less reserve building for yourself. At least that is what I think I distilled out of the "lonely sea" rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
PunTheHun wrote:
Same problem here. While preparing a building usage chart I think this is what I found:

This tallies with the themed combinations proposed in Rising Tide if you assume that "3+" means "3 or 4", and that you add 4 buildings of your choice when playing with 5 players.

I agree that this is laid down in a somewhat confusing manner. Probably reflects historical New Bedford building laws

Exactly right (about the setup, I don't know enough about the laws)

Captains' preferred buildings need not be used. You can feel free to mix and match the building setup and just use whatever turns up. And if the Captains don't use them, that's fine.
As you suggested, if the captain has access to too many of their favorite buildings, they will likely run away with the game, and likewise, if you use too few the captain will probably struggle more. So you probably should include at least one or two buildings a captain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Wright
United States
New Philadelphia
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Under the files section I have added a Excel sheet that can be used to randomly setup the buildings and it gives the correct amounts. It was confusing at first for many I believe. Although a good game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sivilized wrote:
PunTheHun wrote:

Exactly right (about the setup, I don't know enough about the laws)

Captains' preferred buildings need not be used. You can feel free to mix and match the building setup and just use whatever turns up. And if the Captains don't use them, that's fine.
As you suggested, if the captain has access to too many of their favorite buildings, they will likely run away with the game, and likewise, if you use too few the captain will probably struggle more. So you probably should include at least one or two buildings a captain

so in the base game rules on page 2 it says "For 3-4 Player games, use all Building tiles". I believe in the games I've played thus far that has meant 20 buildings are available in our 4 player games. why would the building usage chart for the expansion use fewer buildings in the 4 player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
colinmarsh wrote:
so in the base game rules on page 2 it says "For 3-4 Player games, use all Building tiles". I believe in the games I've played thus far that has meant 20 buildings are available in our 4 player games. why would the building usage chart for the expansion use fewer buildings in the 4 player game?

Where does it indicate fewer buildings? If you're talking about the chart on page 12, it means include those in addition to the ones already indicated under 2 players for that scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sivilized wrote:
colinmarsh wrote:

Where does it indicate fewer buildings? If you're talking about the chart on page 12, it means include those in addition to the ones already indicated under 2 players for that scenario.

nevermind, i realized my confusion was that the 4 player game should have 16 action buildings. it will also include 4 VP buildings which is a total of 20. I missed the action clarification. So essentially 2P would be a total of 12 buildings, 3 and 4 would be 20 buildings & 5 players would be 25 buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just noticed that 2 players x 4 tiles/player = 8 action tiles and
5 players x 4 tiles/player = 20 action tiles

But for 3-4, we should use 16 tiles.

Would it not make sense to use 12 tiles for 3 player (3x4) and 16 tiles for 4 player (4x4)? Does this break the game?

Then the setup rules could be simplified to 4 action tiles per player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It shouldn't be game breaking. It was more for consistency, so that we weren't adding rules for random selection of the buildings that were unique to a 3 player game.
For gameplay effects, it definitely makes a difference for the Municipal Office, because of how easy it is to build. So with 3-players, it makes a heavy building strategy more feasible. And without getting too deep into details, the number of buildings has worked well for how players normally distribute their strategies across player counts.

But by all means, please feel free to try it with fewer buildings, and let me know how it works!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wionzek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey folks, I'm starting to work on a little mat for putting buildings on during the game, and to help with selection.

Here's what I have mocked up so far, feel free to give any criticism/corrections so I can make it a little neater.

It fits right now on an 8.5x11, but that's only 4p and not including the Ship's Log stuff. I'll do that later, once I get this design a little more finalized.

It's over the page borders right now, so ignore that it looks too-big. I'm trying to make something that works functionally before I "release" one that people should actually use.

This is based roughly on "half your tiles should be expansion, half not" but I'm honestly having a bit of trouble sussing out exactly what the rules are "supposed" to be for tile selection, so hopefully this can clear it up for both myself and other-people while also being a neat way to store tiles during the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried to be very flexible with the expansion. Basically, you can swap in any number of tiles you want to. (all of them if you want). Should be balanced no matter what set you play with (though I'm sure there are some less interesting combinations out there).
You might try grouping buildings for each space by similar effect. So one space might have perfumery, cooperage, and tryworks on it, since they all give money for whales. Another could have the Lighthouse, Captain's House, and Saltery, which move the ship. And one would have wharf, dry dock, distillery, since they all help you launch.
That way, you get a nice variety of effects in every game, and can fill out the remaining slots with random tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.