$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 90.28

5,881 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
37.1% of Goal | 26 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Jackson & Sheridan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions after first full play through of J+S 1862 Scenario rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Hart
United States
DPO
AP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I would appreciate any feedback on the following questions we discovered playing the first full game last night:

1) Given the cavalry screening rules, what happens when infantry, without cavalry moves into a position held by only enemy cavalry? Understanding the game designers intent that cavalry could block infantry, does this mean that without using your own cavalry to screen you cannot move into an enemy cavalry owned position? The enemy cavalry can't fight because they start in reserve, right? With no other forces are they forced to withdraw? Or do you have to screen with your cavalry?

2) In the 1862 scenario, do the Confederates get only 1VP if Shields doesn't go to Manassas or 1 VP every turn starting turn 4?

3) I think we found that Jackson did not have as much mobility as we had anticipated and the Union considerably more (rolled extra CAP more than a couple times). I would think Jackson would get 3 CAP and Union only 2 CAP. every turn before your roll for extra.

4) What does having a leader in a battle do for you? It appears to do nothing which seems to not be very beneficial. If they could support an extra morale roll for units who failed a morale test or something like that I think it would be better. Simply put based on our game, Jackson was not going to keep his reputation of being a Stonewall based on his troop performance...in fact by the end it looks like he wasn't even going to make it to Chancellorsville.

5) If you capture and hold the enemy supply base than all enemy units are out of supply no matter the route, correct?

6) Once reinforcements succeed in being brought into a battle with a dice roll above leadership, do they go straight tot he line or into reserve and then the next battle turn into the line?

Thanks,

Brian
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gómez Relloso
Spain
Dobro (Los Altos)
Burgos
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sfsct3172 wrote:
1) Given the cavalry screening rules, what happens when infantry, without cavalry moves into a position held by only enemy cavalry? Understanding the game designers intent that cavalry could block infantry, does this mean that without using your own cavalry to screen you cannot move into an enemy cavalry owned position? The enemy cavalry can't fight because they start in reserve, right? With no other forces are they forced to withdraw? Or do you have to screen with your cavalry?

First, remember that units are moved one by one. And cavalry and leaders cannot move to an enemy occupied location by themselves. So it is impossible to move a cavalry unit to a location occupied by enemy units (cavalry or infantry) unless you move an infantry unit to that same location before during the same turn.
As soon as an infantry unit enters a location occupied by an enemy cavalry unit, it has to make a screening check. Depending on the result, the cavalry unit will retreat one or three locations. In any case, it will abandon the location, so definitely it is impossible that two enemy cavalry units occupy the same location (cavalry cannot move to a location occupied by the enemy unless there is a friendly unit there, but as you have seen the enemy cavalry immediately retreats -after the screening check- when an enemy unit enters its space.
In this game cavalry's role is screening -that is, slowing down enemy units. As it historically happened, it has not any prominence in combat.
I expect to have clarified this rule.

Quote:
2) In the 1862 scenario, do the Confederates get only 1VP if Shields doesn't go to Manassas or 1 VP every turn starting turn 4?

1 VP every turn.

Quote:
3) I think we found that Jackson did not have as much mobility as we had anticipated and the Union considerably more (rolled extra CAP more than a couple times). I would think Jackson would get 3 CAP and Union only 2 CAP. every turn before your roll for extra.

In my games Confederates have had much more mobility, as the Unionists only obtained the extra CAP once or twice during the whole game. Try it again before changing the rule, I find this scenario well balanced (maybe a bit more difficult for the Union to win). Anyway, sometimes luck can be deciding, of course.

Quote:
4) What does having a leader in a battle do for you? It appears to do nothing which seems to not be very beneficial. If they could support an extra morale roll for units who failed a morale test or something like that I think it would be better. Simply put based on our game, Jackson was not going to keep his reputation of being a Stonewall based on his troop performance...in fact by the end it looks like he wasn't even going to make it to Chancellorsville.

Usually leaders do not affect battles (unless there is a special rule; for example, in Grant's Gamble if Grant is in battle a friendly unit may re-roll a failed morale check).
The role of leaders in this game series is different to other games where they have a direct impact in battles. Here the scale is quite big and the designers have given preminence to maneuver.

Quote:
5) If you capture and hold the enemy supply base than all enemy units are out of supply no matter the route, correct?

Correct.

Quote:
6) Once reinforcements succeed in being brought into a battle with a dice roll above leadership, do they go straight tot he line or into reserve and then the next battle turn into the line?

They go to the line and they will be able to fire in the next battle round.

David
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hart
United States
DPO
AP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks David. So we interpreted "When a unit..." Sentence two of Cavalry Screening Actions" as any unit infantry or cavalry. So according to this we see no reason why a cavalry unit could not move to a location on its own. Screening is a defensive action as you noted, but why can cavalry not be used in an active reconnaissance mode as they more often were used in the Civil War. Especially when playing with blocks up and full fog of war, identifying an enemy unit's true composition would be right up that ally. Anyways, thanks for the answers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gómez Relloso
Spain
Dobro (Los Altos)
Burgos
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Brian,

I understand your point of view, but the designers of this series have opted for a different approach. Cavalry has a blocking role and you cannot use it to identify enemy units (unless they move to the location of your cavalry, of course).

David
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.