3 Posts

Seasons: Enchanted Kingdom» Forums » General

Subject: Are some special power tokens broken? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yuriy Deomidov
Ukraine
flag msg tools
Token #11 reads: Look at the Power cards in the other player's hands. If you use this effect, gain 9 Prestige points at the end of the game.
Now, this doesn't make sense to me. "Take this car and we pay you money". The ability is beneficial, but unlike other tokens with benefitial abilities, this one boosts score instead of penalty. What's the catch? Is it a translation mistake and it should be "lose 9 points" or maybe "show your hand to all other players" instead? If everything is correct, than this token is just plain unbalanced.

Also, token #4 (reduce summoning gauge by one, gain 10 points) doesn't have point indication on front. I don't see any reasoning for that also. Is it a misprint?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Andrew
Indonesia
Bandung
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
while i agree the tokens are imbalanced, i would not say it's broken. the tokens are hardly game changing

token #11 has no downside, though the benefit is hardly functional. you should always try to read your opponent anyway, so looking at their hand only confirms your reading. and sometimes the knowledge doesnt change the end result

for token #4. if it has point on front side, it would mean giving you point when unused, i guess

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Deomidov
Ukraine
flag msg tools
I'll try to explain my issue with #4 in a more clear way:
All tokens follow next layout: back shows points gained/lost at the end of the game if a token has been used. Front shows an action you can do to flip the token as well as mentioned points value - as a reminder, so you don't have to flip it to check what you will get. This is true for all tokens, except for token #4, which doesn't have points indicated on front, only an action. This is strange and OCD-inducing.

As for tokens being unbalanced.. I haven't played with them enough to see if this is true, but it looks like other tokens follow the same guidelines. Token #7 is the easiest to evaluate - it gives 12 crystals, costs -6 points at the end of the game: net gain +6; token #8 gives 18 points if you spend 4 water energy, if you assume base conversion rate as 1 energy = 3 crystals, that's the same net gain of +6. Token #4 gives 10 points if you reduce summoning gauge by 1. Since you can use bonus action to gain same 1 summoning power for -5, net gain is +5 points, which is close enough. Token #6 gives "transmute +1" power with no aftermath - if you consider using it when you have 7 energy that's +7 net gain. Sure, this is rough assumptions, you can often leaverage more net gain from using a token if you do it clever, and there are powers that are very hard to evaluate, but the pattern is there. And token #11 clearly breaks it.
It's a minor issue, but it still bothers me. Getting extra +5 points is not a problem, the problem is getting it for no reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.