Subject: Returning cubes and No escape from the ER? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Al Cott
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a few games of this now, and I'm still not sure I'm playing this right.

Question 1:

Situation: Blue Doctor working in the Blue Ward trying to heal a '1' bed patient. This gives a base draw of 6 with a doctor bonus of 2. As I understand it I have to draw at least 6 cubes. If the heal is successful (more blue than black cubes) I can stop without using the bonus [this needs to be in the FAQ].

1a) Even though the bonus wasn't used during the draw, can I use the bonus to return 1 or 2 cubes (from the 6 drawn) back to the cup?

1b) If the heal wasn't successful using the original draw of 6 and I opt to take the bonus, do I have to take all bonus cubes? Or can I stop early if the first bonus cube drawn is blue?

Question 2:

Situation: I have an E.R. but no O.R. The ambulance draw results in a 5 cube patient. It automatically gets transferred to the E.R. During the turn a heal is attempted in the E.R. A very lucky draw results in that patient being reduced to 1 cube. The only unused action token left is an admin action (saved, planning to transfer that patient from the E.R. to the ward). However, the ward won't accept the patient because they are not ill enough!

2) Where does the patient go? You can't transfer patients to the waiting room or ward, there's no O.R. waiting, and it'll automatically die at the end of the turn. Is there no escape? What have I missed? Is it possible to stop drawing cubes early to not 'over-cure' E.R. patients? That doesn't sound right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lumpy75 wrote:
I've played a few games of this now, and I'm still not sure I'm playing this right.

Question 1:

Situation: Blue Doctor working in the Blue Ward trying to heal a '1' bed patient. This gives a base draw of 6 with a doctor bonus of 2. As I understand it I have to draw at least 6 cubes. If the heal is successful (more blue than black cubes) I can stop without using the bonus [this needs to be in the FAQ].

1a) Even though the bonus wasn't used during the draw, can I use the bonus to return 1 or 2 cubes (from the 6 drawn) back to the cup?

1b) If the heal wasn't successful using the original draw of 6 and I opt to take the bonus, do I have to take all bonus cubes? Or can I stop early if the first bonus cube drawn is blue?

1a - no. unless you use the bonus, you can't return the cubes.
1b. take all of a bonus if you choose to take a bonus. If more bonuses are used, you decide which you stop at, but take each one fully.

"If you can apply multiple bonuses, you may use them one at a time, and decide for each one after seeing the result from the previous draw. When you use a bonus you must draw all cubes that bonus provides."

Quote:

Question 2:

Situation: I have an E.R. but no O.R. The ambulance draw results in a 5 cube patient. It automatically gets transferred to the E.R. During the turn a heal is attempted in the E.R. A very lucky draw results in that patient being reduced to 1 cube. The only unused action token left is an admin action (saved, planning to transfer that patient from the E.R. to the ward). However, the ward won't accept the patient because they are not ill enough!

2) Where does the patient go? You can't transfer patients to the waiting room or ward, there's no O.R. waiting, and it'll automatically die at the end of the turn. Is there no escape? What have I missed? Is it possible to stop drawing cubes early to not 'over-cure' E.R. patients? That doesn't sound right.

Hold that thought, but for now, you'd best get a clinic or something to move the 1-2 cube patients to when they are better. In future rules this will be addressed more complete. Speaking of that, I need to figure out when that is going to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Cott
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Scott. That makes the game quite a bit harder!

Is that a quote from the rulebook? If it is, I just can't see it.

This game hangs together so nicely from a thematic point of view... apart from the 'cup'. And the 'cup' is the most influential mechanism on success or failure.

To win you need to cure. To cure you need to heal successfully. To heal successfully you need to draw cubes of the right color at the right time. To do that efficiently you need to seed the 'cup' in your favour.

At the start of the turn there is low chance of a heal because the distribution is not in your favour. By the middle/end of the turn the distribution is in your favour and you are much more likely to heal. But if you exhaust the cup, suddenly you are back to square one with a refilled cup.

Thematically, is this the effect of coffee during the day? Tired doctors in the morning, reaching peak efficiency later and then finally becoming exhausted?

If the only way to seed the 'cup' is to use the bonus draw then you shorten the life of the 'cup'. It becomes more likely that you'll have to refill it during the turn.

In practice this will mean using your best (healing) doctors on the healthiest patients early in the turn (to make sure they don't die and to seed the 'cup'), and then you are left with your 'non-healing' doctors (e.g. Lucky, Glass) to do the most effective healing actions on the sickest patients later on.

This feels anti-thematic. Am I interpreting this wrong? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lumpy75 wrote:
Thanks Scott. That makes the game quite a bit harder!

Is that a quote from the rulebook? If it is, I just can't see it.

This game hangs together so nicely from a thematic point of view... apart from the 'cup'. And the 'cup' is the most influential mechanism on success or failure.

To win you need to cure. To cure you need to heal successfully. To heal successfully you need to draw cubes of the right color at the right time. To do that efficiently you need to seed the 'cup' in your favour.

At the start of the turn there is low chance of a heal because the distribution is not in your favour. By the middle/end of the turn the distribution is in your favour and you are much more likely to heal. But if you exhaust the cup, suddenly you are back to square one with a refilled cup.

Thematically, is this the effect of coffee during the day? Tired doctors in the morning, reaching peak efficiency later and then finally becoming exhausted?

If the only way to seed the 'cup' is to use the bonus draw then you shorten the life of the 'cup'. It becomes more likely that you'll have to refill it during the turn.

In practice this will mean using your best (healing) doctors on the healthiest patients early in the turn (to make sure they don't die and to seed the 'cup'), and then you are left with your 'non-healing' doctors (e.g. Lucky, Glass) to do the most effective healing actions on the sickest patients later on.

This feels anti-thematic. Am I interpreting this wrong? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Quote from FAQ, clarifying stuff for what goes in next rule book.

As for best doctors earlier to seed the cup...I usually put the best doctors on the worst patients because they can draw more. But your logic works too, though unthematic. I find getting expansion rooms also help give me a method for my madness, as well as the mix of doctors and admin push me towards a strategy. Other factors like training tokens and staff also help in deciding the path to riches...I mean a healthy hospital.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The revised ER as promised:

Emergency Room*: Holds up to one patient from any malady at Illness level 5. When Improved it can hold up to three patients. Patients can never be moved to the Emergency Room with the Transfer Patients Action. It is for emergency cases only. If a patient in the Waiting Room / Triage gets to 5 cubes (exactly, no more or less) during the Ambulance Phase and there is space available in the Emergency Room, they are immediately moved to the first available table there for free.
If a patient in the Emergency Room drops below 5 cubes, it will be immediately transferred back to the empty chair in the Waiting Room / Triage where it came from. At the end of the round all patients in the ER will die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Cott
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooooh. Interesting. Will give that a go soon. Thanks for updating

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Revised Emergency Room
For more clarification and pictures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.